Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 04:35 PM

12,610 posts, read 9,111,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humblebrag View Post
I believe this is rigged. I just voted and noticed no updated voting results. It uses the same voting that the MLB all star game used and those were updated and very public. So, what is there to hide on something so insignificant? One of these names is definitely a plant. I am betting army ants will win magically.
I think it's rigged too. The Channel 19 article said the Rockets and Missiles each had >150 votes, and are not on the Top 10. Are we supposed to believe that Trash Pandas and Moon Possums (or whatever it is) had more than 150 votes each?

If that's supposed to be a Top 10 list of suggestions by fans, it's fake.

I'm not sure they know what kind of community they're dealing with here. What works in Montgomery just might not go over well in Huntsville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 04:44 PM

117 posts, read 309,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I think it's rigged too. The Channel 19 article said the Rockets and Missiles each had >150 votes, and are not on the Top 10. Are we supposed to believe that Trash Pandas and Moon Possums (or whatever it is) had more than 150 votes each?

If that's supposed to be a Top 10 list of suggestions by fans, it's fake.

I'm not sure they know what kind of community they're dealing with here. What works in Montgomery just might not go over well in Huntsville.
I believe that they mean that the Rockets and Missiles are top 2 names submitted by fans, but the final list of names is selected by the manager or board, not based on popularity. They selected it so that it fits minor league culture and level of quirkiness so that it can generate conversations. Not sure how that will work though.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznDreamer View Post
I believe that they mean that the Rockets and Missiles are top 2 names submitted by fans, but the final list of names is selected by the manager or board, not based on popularity. They selected it so that it fits minor league culture and level of quirkiness so that it can generate conversations. Not sure how that will work though.
Well, it's certainly generating conversations, if this forum is any example.

Why even have fan voting if you're going to ignore the results?

Old 07-27-2018, 10:01 PM

57 posts, read 64,800 times
My friend's and I were reading this list on WHNT last night. All these names sound like jokes or demeaning names. I don't think too many people would want to play for a team with any of those names except more maybe Army Ants or Comet Jockey's. Space Chimps sounds like a racial slur.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:12 AM

163 posts, read 295,954 times
While we're kinda on the food theme....

Madison Zingers ( possible trademark infringement here )

or

Madison Gravy ( natural in-State rivalry from the get go )

Carpe

Old 07-28-2018, 12:18 AM

163 posts, read 295,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Those proposed team names are all absolutely ridiculous. Why can't they have a normal name rather than the "cutesy" things? I find it hard to believe that those were the top 10 submitted by fans.
You mean you wouldn't want to go watch the Rocket City Geeks or Rocket City Techies

honestly Rocket City Scientists I think is catchy......

Old 07-28-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpe777 View Post
You mean you wouldn't want to go watch the Rocket City Geeks or Rocket City Techies

honestly Rocket City Scientists I think is catchy......
Correct, I would not want to go watch the Geeks or the Techies, and I live within a mile or so of the stadium. But those names are light years ahead of Trash Pandas or the other 9. Madison Gravy? Terrible.

Stick with a traditional baseball name.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:36 PM

143 posts, read 152,415 times
What happened to the "Kudzu Krushers" I think having a kudzu covered fence like Wrigley would be "Kool." Of course, then you are just one "K" away for a Democrat political rally.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:45 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,039,298 times
The Rocket City Per Diems sounds good to me.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
The Rocket City Per Diems sounds good to me.
Nah, it it was the Per Diems, it'd have to change every year ....

I'll bet it ends up being the North Alabama "somethings". Madison won't want to be paying for a stadium and then have the team be named Huntsville "somethings", and the city of Madison isn't exactly a household name in Southern League country. I suppose since my taxes go to the city of Madison, I'd rather it be the Madison "somethings" regardless, where the "something" is a traditional name, with alliteration of course. Madison Metros?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area