Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 08:06 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times

Advertisements

Withing a 30 mile radius of downtown Huntsville or in Madison County, are there microclimates and how would they be described?

Microclimate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 10:53 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,281 times
One thing I noticed, again continuing comparisons between Madison and SE HSV. Madison is often windier. And it makes sense.. Madison has more flat, SE HSV has more hills. We have on occasion noticed no wind, and then drove NW for some reason and end up with killer straightline winds.

I had heard some people speculate SE HSV gets fewer tornadoes than NW HSV and Madison. Others say that is hogwash. Looking at the tornado history online, it appears to be somewhat true. For whatever reason, the area of southeast HSV near Owens Crossroads and Gurley northeast, has had almost no tornado activity, the tornadoes it does have are fairly mild.

Coincidence? Maybe! This history project is only for the past 50 years or do. I have no idea, but it's interesting!

Old 04-05-2008, 12:52 PM

280 posts, read 686,527 times
Thumbs down Storms/Tornadoes

I have been in Harvest (right on the border of Madison and Limestone counties) for 2 months. We have had to take cover from severe storms/possible tornadoes more in the past 2 months than in over 4 years living in Hampton Cove!! The cost of living here in the county is less - but you have to budget in another $5-6,000 for a storm shelter! I didn't really think about it, but when I started telling people we were moving here they all commented on how bad the storms were-they were right.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:03 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
It's not within 30 miles of Huntsville, but one of the best known micro-climates in north Alabama is the Dismals, near Russellville. It has flora and fauna not found anywhere else in this part of the country.
I think quite a few microclimates are set up by the Tennessee River. So often Huntsville and even Birmingham has snow and ice that never hits Decatur, which is right on the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area