Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2018, 05:19 PM

13 posts, read 11,877 times

Advertisements

Read a thread a year back or so about tenants being evicted from the arsenal horse stables. Are there any updates? Like to hear recommendations on stabling a horse in Madison County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 07:29 PM

143 posts, read 155,253 times
Stable is closed

Old 10-18-2018, 12:56 PM

704 posts, read 936,406 times
It has been sad to see the Stables and some other Redstone MWR Facilities close in recent years.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:52 PM

12,980 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post
It has been sad to see the Stables and some other Redstone MWR Facilities close in recent years.
Why are all these things closing? Is it because there are fewer and fewer military people stationed on Redstone (at least at the lower ranks)?

Old 10-19-2018, 09:10 AM

300 posts, read 606,800 times
Hi, yes, the Arsenal stables shut down in October of 2017. A dozen or so of the horse owners ended up at two different barns near Pulaski Pike. Several other owners either bought their own property or sold their horses. Still others found other barns in the area to board at. What styles of riding do you do, and what price range are you looking to stay within? You can PM me for additional recommendations if you like.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Why are all these things closing? Is it because there are fewer and fewer military people stationed on Redstone (at least at the lower ranks)?
No, the vast majority of horse owners boarding at the Arsenal were either retired military or DoD contractors (very few active duty) and we kept a fairly full facility for the most part. We were told it was closing because the barns were dilapidated and condemned (and that there were no funds available for repairs), but there is strong evidence that it was done to provide the land to the city of Huntsville for roadway access.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamnbam View Post
No, the vast majority of horse owners boarding at the Arsenal were either retired military or DoD contractors (very few active duty) and we kept a fairly full facility for the most part. We were told it was closing because the barns were dilapidated and condemned (and that there were no funds available for repairs), but there is strong evidence that it was done to provide the land to the city of Huntsville for roadway access.
OK, thanks. Where were the stables located? I worked on the Arsenal for over 40 years and never knew they were there. I was on the NASA side.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
OK, thanks. Where were the stables located? I worked on the Arsenal for over 40 years and never knew they were there. I was on the NASA side.
They were on Overlook Rd., just inside the old Gate 9, you would turn right and follow the road all the way back. A new signal has just been installed at that intersection (after the Boeing Gateway light).

All the barns have been razed, with the exception of the long tractor shed (I’ve heard, I personally haven’t been back since the “eviction...” (too many good memories) but you can still travel back there. After coming through the new Gate 9, turn right on the new Overlook Rd and follow the gravel road to a left onto the paved “Old Overlook Rd.”

You can also still see the original setup on Google Maps. If you look really close, you can see the horses in the pastures, too.

Last edited by pamnbam; 10-19-2018 at 07:03 PM..

Old 10-19-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamnbam View Post
They were on Overlook Rd., just inside the old Gate 9, you would turn right and follow the road all the way back. A new signal has just been installed at that intersection (after the Boeing Gateway light).

All the barns have been razed, with the exception of the long tractor shed (I’ve heard, I personally haven’t been back since the “eviction...” (too many good memories) but you can still travel back there. After coming through the new Gate 9, turn right on the new Overlook Rd and follow the gravel road to a left onto the paved “Old Overlook Rd.”

You can also still see the original setup on Google Maps. If you look really close, you can see the horses in the pastures, too.
Ah, thanks. I don't think I've ever been on the west side of Rideout Rd north of the Redstone Airport. I had no idea there was anything back there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area