Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 04:07 AM

92 posts, read 368,072 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be leaving FL in the near future, and I have found some very reasonably priced homes in Athens. Are these homes for real? I live in Punta Gorda FL now and everything is so expensive here. Our home insurance has gone sky high and it is starting to get over developed, soon it will be like the east coast of FL.
We both came from small towns in upstate N.Y. ,and we want that kind of neighborhood now. My husband will be retiring soon , and I will probaly work part time, as I am younger than him. What is the job situation in Athen's? I am a bookkeeper, my husband is in sales.
Any input would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 05:39 PM

73 posts, read 434,179 times
I just finished landscaping a new home there today, I think it is a very nice place, yes the homes and property is very reasonable there. There is quite a number of new sub-divisions going in , prices range from just under 100k to 300k and lots from 15k to 35k. The market supports plenty of pre-owned homes as well. Its located close to the Madison and Huntsville area and just a short drive to Florence and the Sholes area too, plenty shopping , schools, health care and some very beautiful senic areas as well. Hope this helps some , wish you a very pleasent and easy move . Rick

Old 12-16-2006, 03:45 AM

Rick Thank you for the information, as I know nothing about the area. When we move to Alabama this will be the last time that we move, so I want to make sure the area we chose is something we can live with for the rest of our lives. Athens sure seems to fit the bill. Now if we can just sell our place in Florida everything will work out. We still need to come and check out Athens, hopefully in early spring. Thanks Again Kim

Old 12-16-2006, 04:03 PM

360 posts, read 1,533,160 times
Default San Diegan's take on Athens...

Hubby and I are retiring to Huntsville area in '08. We liked Athens, especially the eastern part (E of I-65), near Lindsay Ln. (We're looking for a new 2000+ sf home on 1/2 acre or more, and we found several potential places.) The in-town area has older, more modest homes. The downside for us is that there is a limited choice in shopping/services in Athens due to its small size. I think we'd be driving the 25 miles or so to Madison or Huntsville quite often... We haven't ruled it out yet, but we'd prefer something a little closer to UAH, as hubby is going back to school. Hope that helps; visiting is the best way to see how it feels to you.

Old 12-16-2006, 05:57 PM

73 posts, read 434,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBravesFan View Post
Hubby and I are retiring to Huntsville area in '08. We liked Athens, especially the eastern part (E of I-65), near Lindsay Ln. (We're looking for a new 2000+ sf home on 1/2 acre or more, and we found several potential places.) The in-town area has older, more modest homes. The downside for us is that there is a limited choice in shopping/services in Athens due to its small size. I think we'd be driving the 25 miles or so to Madison or Huntsville quite often... We haven't ruled it out yet, but we'd prefer something a little closer to UAH, as hubby is going back to school. Hope that helps; visiting is the best way to see how it feels to you.
actually Madison is only 10 miles from Athens and from Madison to Huntsville is roughly 5 miles. Its a better drive than it used to be, they have widened Hwy 72 to 6 lanes from Jeff Rd. all the way to US 231/431. this has all been done since last year when they built the Target shopping complex. Now they have started construction on three more shopping centers west of Jeff Rd. Its really booming and building up. I can remember when there were nothing but cotton fields from Jordan Ln./Hwy 53 westward all the way to Athens. I got a memo from the Chamber Of Commerce that stated that there were over 5000 new home under construction in North Alabama with over half being in Madison county alone as of October 1st. its "unreal" as to how much building is going on.

Last edited by Rick in Dixie; 12-16-2006 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: Miss read information, numbers not credible for 1 county.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:19 AM

Rick I see you are from Arab. I did see some homes I liked there. I really hope Northern Alabama does not get like South Western Florida, that is one of the reasons why we are moving, that and the hurricanes. What about tornados in that area? They scare me more than hurricanes. I guess you are not safe anywhere. Upstate New York where I am orginally from had blizzards!!!

Old 12-21-2006, 06:36 PM

360 posts, read 1,533,160 times
Default Thank you, Rick for the correction/update...

Boy, it seemed farther than 10 miles when we were driving...LOL! I guess it was all the open space/fields that we're not used to seeing here. I hope there are SOME left by the time we get there! A related question: We don't see many condo's (with a garage) for sale, except in Decatur...??? My husband is looking for an alternative to renting an apartment the 1st year or two while I'm still working in San Diego. Are there just not many condo's in general in Huntsville/Madison? Thanks for any info.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:50 PM
PMM

1 posts, read 4,604 times
Default Athens

I have recently moved to Athens and find it to be a good place to choose. I am origionally from New England and have had no difficulty being accepted by the community. The schools are very good and the children are enjoying themselves. There are plenty of community services and events year round to go with the ever expanding stores/businesses along route 72 & 31. I also agree that the best area in town is east of I-65 along Lindsay Lane. LOL.

PMM

Old 01-12-2007, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 8,478 times
Hi Kim. I just moved to a small community just north of Athens and absolutely love it! The community is called Piney Chapel, but we have an Athens mailing address. We had actually moved to Huntsville, AL in 2000 but made the move over here because of my job. I have no regrets.
I don't know the details of your situation, such as whether or not you have school aged children. If you do have children, you may want to choose a community such as the one where I live. If you live within the city limits, there is no transportation for school. If you live in what they call "the county", there will be school busses for your kids. This was a big determining factor for me. It is very difficult juggling work and school schedules, so busses were a necessity for me.
When it comes to shopping, your major, everyday needs should be met right in town. There is a Super Walmart, several smaller grocery store chains, a Lowes, several Dollar Generals, and a few small department store chains. There is not a "mall", but Athens is within 30 minutes of Decatur and Huntsville which both have a shopping mall. There are also several restaurants, ranging from McDonalds to Applebees.
My neighbors actually welcomed me when I moved here too! This was a first. I had two neighbors come over and physically introduce themselves as well as their children, and another neighbor sent cookies over with their child. It almost felt like I was transported to Mayberry! I love this aspect of Athens! I lived in one apartment in Huntsville for 2 years and never met a neighbor. If I approached one, they hurried to their door or their car.
I hope you choose the Athens area! If there is anything else I can try to answer for you, feel free to ask questions. I don't know how quickly I will respond (I work 55 hours a week and am a full time college student as well), but I will so my best to be prompt.
Nancy

Old 01-19-2007, 07:15 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I moved here from Tampa in 05 and can tell you the cost of owning a home is so much less than in FL. My taxes were cut 90% and car and homeowners insurance are very reasonable. The only real weather threat here are tornadoes which are mainly in the spring. My electric, water and gas bill are MUCH less than Tampa. There is a tax on food which we didn't have in FL. Gasoline is cheaper too. My neighbors came over to welcome me when I moved in and that was a first for me too. Also the crime in Arab is very low and being a single woman that means a lot to me. I love it here
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-19-2007 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: grammer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area