Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 08:06 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,574,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Why not use some of the stimulus money the state got? I saw an article today that said Alabama still hadn't spent the $1.7B they got.
Good question, may have restrictions on where it can be spent? Obviously the state will do nothing or want to help because it will appear they got beat at their own game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 09:05 PM

2,445 posts, read 2,228,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Maybe looking forward to a AAA team at some point?

I remember one night at Joe Davis we had >14,000. That was the night the Beach Boys were there. Don't know what the nominal capacity was.
Actually, it looks like Jacksonville did already join Triple-A: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eball_stadiums. Guess I had forgotten that. You're right, though, those stadia are mostly in the 10,000+ range.

I was at one of the Stars games in 94 I think, when Michael Jordan and the Barons came to town. Would love to know how many people were at that game. It was packed.

Old 04-30-2021, 07:08 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
about what everyone here surmised

"Funding on the $28 million project is about $10 million short right now but Finley said everyone is looking everywhere for funding to make up that difference. Finley projected that the flyover could be completed in two years."

https://www.al.com/news/2021/04/as-t...onclusion.html

Isn't that $28 million bid price from last year? The cost of construction materials has since tripled and labor prices have increase around 20% and there is a labor shortage. They are chasing money for a bid price that is probably at least 30% lower than actual current cost to build those flyovers. They now need to be trying to scrape up probably around $35 million and the clock is ticking on that number.

Old 04-30-2021, 02:19 PM

12,958 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Actually, it looks like Jacksonville did already join Triple-A: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eball_stadiums. Guess I had forgotten that. You're right, though, those stadia are mostly in the 10,000+ range.

I was at one of the Stars games in 94 I think, when Michael Jordan and the Barons came to town. Would love to know how many people were at that game. It was packed.
Don't know how many were there, but me, my wife, and son as well as close friends and their son were there. It was a huge crowd.

Old 04-30-2021, 02:21 PM

12,958 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Isn't that $28 million bid price from last year? The cost of construction materials has since tripled and labor prices have increase around 20% and there is a labor shortage. They are chasing money for a bid price that is probably at least 30% lower than actual current cost to build those flyovers. They now need to be trying to scrape up probably around $35 million and the clock is ticking on that number.
That's right. I don't know about your 30% number but the longer they wait, the higher it will be. Zierdt Rd was initially around $11M I think; the screwed around so long that it's going to be around $35M, last I heard. Still not finished, or really, anywhere near finished.

Old 04-30-2021, 06:59 PM

375 posts, read 513,507 times
The low bidder from the bid letting in February 2020 for the flyover ramps was Scott Bridge Company of Opelika at $28.5 million. So you are talking 15 months ago. A lot has changed since then. Madison is chasing ghosts if the think a rebid is going to come in close to that figure. Plus, if they wait 6 months to figure out what to do, then they are looking at mid to late 2023 for completion. So no dice for season two of TP baseball either.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grumpy View Post
The low bidder from the bid letting in February 2020 for the flyover ramps was Scott Bridge Company of Opelika at $28.5 million. So you are talking 15 months ago. A lot has changed since then. Madison is chasing ghosts if the think a rebid is going to come in close to that figure. Plus, if they wait 6 months to figure out what to do, then they are looking at mid to late 2023 for completion. So no dice for season two of TP baseball either.
What is there to wait and do? Rebid with the understanding these are the budget restrictions.Yes indeed, how can a bid be so far off? Maybe some encouragement from officials to bid high. There is nothing unusual about these ramps, basic bridges albeit curved that China could build correctly in 6 months probably for the original price. Games being played by bidders and aldot. They say it’s not a aldot project but they have to sign off on it.

Old 05-01-2021, 04:35 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
I just randomly saw this thread.. I had no idea where the this team was, but, I bought the hat while living in California based on the logo alone, so, they must be doing something right

Old 05-01-2021, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I just randomly saw this thread.. I had no idea where the this team was, but, I bought the hat while living in California based on the logo alone, so, they must be doing something right
They are a very successful marketing campaign and haven’t played a game yet. They will do very well . The things we are discussing are outside the scope of the team itself. A very nice stadium ready to play ball .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area