Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 07:22 PM

56 posts, read 62,925 times

Advertisements

I can’t think you all enough for taking the time to explain all of this! I’ve been reading the forums as much as I can in the past few days, I feel like I’m definitely getting a better picture. I’m really excited about experiencing all 4 seasons again, although Chicago springs didn’t really exist! Good thing I kept all my warm clothing!

I also looked a bit on Zillow, Madison and Decatur, which is better and why? Also, is there new development, or the neighborhoods are established? Any builders we should consider?

Out of curiosity, does it feel like living in the south in Huntsville? Cause I keep reading that everyone there is a transplant, so I wonder if that southern charm exist there too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 09:13 PM

12,971 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campn87 View Post
I can’t think you all enough for taking the time to explain all of this! I’ve been reading the forums as much as I can in the past few days, I feel like I’m definitely getting a better picture. I’m really excited about experiencing all 4 seasons again, although Chicago springs didn’t really exist! Good thing I kept all my warm clothing!

I also looked a bit on Zillow, Madison and Decatur, which is better and why? Also, is there new development, or the neighborhoods are established? Any builders we should consider?

Out of curiosity, does it feel like living in the south in Huntsville? Cause I keep reading that everyone there is a transplant, so I wonder if that southern charm exist there too?
Madison is sorta of "the" place to live now. Decatur is more industrial, while Huntsville/Madison is more high-tech. Or course, a lot of people live in Decatur and commute here for work, but they still have more of a blue-collar feel. Madison has some established neighborhoods, Huntsville more, but there are new housing developments all over. I don't know about builders since I haven't looked at a house in years. I'm sure there are good and bad, as there is everywhere. One thing you might notice about the area ... there's not much of an urban element ... it's mostly suburban sprawl. Downtown Huntsville is trying to change, and it's happening, although slowly. Madison doesn't really have a downtown to speak of.

Huntsville doesn't feel like a Southern city, and certainly not Deep South. Actually, you won't find many Southern accents here except from some of the old originals. The school kids all have non-regional, mid-Western speech patterns.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:10 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
That's stretching it a bit. Yes, temps will occasionally reach 95 degrees, and even sometimes 100 (it's been a while), and humidity is sometimes 80%. But more importantly, the high humidity isn't the same time as the highest temperatures. If it was, we'd be in the tropics. Higher humidity is late night and early morning.

A more typical summer day would be 90 degrees with humidity around 60%, and lows at night upper 60s-lower 70s, and humidity sometimes over 90% at the lowest temp of the day.

A better way of looking at things is the dewpoint temperature. It's seldom above 75 but that's pretty uncomfortable. A more normal dewpoint is upper 60s, lower 70s during the summer.
Huntsville, Atlanta, Raleigh, and Dallas average 72 degree dew points in the summer. Florida, New Orleans, and Houston average 76-78 degree dew points.

Most jungles average 80 degree dew points or higher (Although I did see the dew point exceed 80 degrees along with temps in the upper nineties multiple times in New Orleans).

Old 11-04-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Huntsville, Atlanta, Raleigh, and Dallas average 72 degree dew points in the summer. Florida, New Orleans, and Houston average 76-78 degree dew points.

Most jungles average 80 degree dew points or higher (Although I did see the dew point exceed 80 degrees along with temps in the upper nineties multiple times in New Orleans).
Awesome! Thank you for sharing this tidbit! It nicely resonated!

Speaking of jungles, what kind of bugs, and wild life do you get?

Mosquitos, cockroaches, fire ants and millipedes are my nightmare right now. Possums and armadillos are occasionally seen in my backyard. Also black snakes are plenty, but they’re pretty much harmless.

Alligators and the occasional black bear also can be seen once every 2 years or so, but I don’t mind those cause they don’t harm you unless you startle them.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:12 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,039 times
Quote:

Mosquitos, cockroaches, fire ants and millipedes are my nightmare right now. Possums and armadillos are occasionally seen in my backyard. Also black snakes are plenty, but they’re pretty much harmless.

Alligators and the occasional black bear also can be seen once every 2 years or so, but I don’t mind those cause they don’t harm you unless you startle them.
I believe that Huntsville is north of the "Gnat Line"". Which, anybody who lives south of the Gnat Line can tell you, is pretty much Heaven.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:25 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:

Disclaimer: I have never lived in Huntsville. I got the dew points off 30-year average weather data, which should be more accurate than anecdotal evidence, anyways.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:05 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,095,967 times
Moved here in 2008.

Honestly it took a while for Huntsville to grow on me, but it has.

People are awesome. So freaking friendly, they may invite you to church, and I love the looks I get when I say "I'm a Happy Catholic", but they are great people.

Food: BBQ kills.

Other food is growing, and as a NOLA boy, the Po Boy factory is great. I miss having more great food options, but after 6 years in Connecticut, where pizza is king, (I miss it greatly), there are places to eat.

Madison is the hot spot, new stuff popping up over the next few years. Towne Madison, Clift Farms, and more.

Toyota/Mazda and a bunch more coming.

Hope you're not on the Most Wanted list, because the FBI is here.

Cost of living - fantastic.

Publix for all.

The weather - 4 seasons, it's going to get cold. We may get snow. Summers are hot, not NOLA hot or Florida hot, but hot.

Allergies - this is the biggest negative for me. Damn the allergies are bad here. Living in a valley will do that for you.

Come on up. The place is great.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
Moved here in 2008.

Honestly it took a while for Huntsville to grow on me, but it has.

People are awesome. So freaking friendly, they may invite you to church, and I love the looks I get when I say "I'm a Happy Catholic", but they are great people.

Food: BBQ kills.

Other food is growing, and as a NOLA boy, the Po Boy factory is great. I miss having more great food options, but after 6 years in Connecticut, where pizza is king, (I miss it greatly), there are places to eat.

Madison is the hot spot, new stuff popping up over the next few years. Towne Madison, Clift Farms, and more.

Toyota/Mazda and a bunch more coming.

Hope you're not on the Most Wanted list, because the FBI is here.

Cost of living - fantastic.

Publix for all.

The weather - 4 seasons, it's going to get cold. We may get snow. Summers are hot, not NOLA hot or Florida hot, but hot.

Allergies - this is the biggest negative for me. Damn the allergies are bad here. Living in a valley will do that for you.

Come on up. The place is great.

I honestly hope you’re a writer cause if not, what a waste!

Thank you everyone! I think so far Madison seems the best place for us to be. I do wonder how big is it? Since everyone seem to live there, is it very crowded? Is all the shopping in one area, so the traffic is always busy in some areas?

Old 11-04-2018, 09:37 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,095,967 times
Quote:

Thank you everyone! I think so far Madison seems the best place for us to be. I do wonder how big is it? Since everyone seem to live there, is it very crowded? Is all the shopping in one area, so the traffic is always busy in some areas?
Thank you. A few people have told me I need to pursue the writing gig. Not sure how to go about it, but i'll see what i can do.

I'll offer an alternative - Limestone County. East Limestone HS is pretty good from what I've heard from the people around here. It isn't Bob Jones or James Clemens, but it is pretty good. Athens is going to be booming as well, going to be fun watching this place grow.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:29 AM

12,971 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:

At the 2017 estimate by the Census Bureau, Madison had about 48,500 people. It's most likely above 50,000 now and growing steadily. It doesn't really have a downtown, and retail is pretty well restricted to strip malls and big box stores. In other words, it's a typical suburban town. Not having as much retail means we're a bit short on sales taxes, so the infrastructure is a bit hard to keep up with. Madison has one of the best public school systems in the state. There is very little crime, but the police are well-versed in handing out speeding tickets. Most people who move here love it ... it's very family-friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area