Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 07:06 AM

614 posts, read 766,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
Fulin was an absolute beaut. Service was great. Food was great.

What took me so long to find this place?

Fulin is a great place for us because it has a sushi menu for Mrs Catfish and a really tasty Chinese menu for me. Best of both worlds.

In the same general area, with the same general concept of both sushi and General Tso is Four Leaves. I might even like Four Leaves better than Fulin. Plus they have evening specials like Tuesday is half price apps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 07:25 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,096,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
Fulin is a great place for us because it has a sushi menu for Mrs Catfish and a really tasty Chinese menu for me. Best of both worlds.

In the same general area, with the same general concept of both sushi and General Tso is Four Leaves. I might even like Four Leaves better than Fulin. Plus they have evening specials like Tuesday is half price apps.

Lot of good you are now, coming in after the fact :P

Four Leaves - went once for Christmas, service was bad. Food was just okay for me.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:34 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
We'll give it a try, but not on Christmas Day.

Is liking Asian food considered "cultural appropriation"? (A phrase which is one of the craziest things I've ever heard.)
Since most "Chinese" food served in America has no resemblance whatsoever to what's actually served in China, I'd say the "cultural appropriation" is only in the mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
Fulin was an absolute beaut. Service was great. Food was great.

What took me so long to find this place?
There's a Fulin's in Madison, Decatur and 9 locations in Tennessee, all operated by the same family. I've only visited the one in Decatur, but it generally has very good food, if a bit expensive for what you get. The only problem is that sometimes the spicy foods are way, way too bland. I'm sure if I asked them to make it spicier they would do that.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:37 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Since most "Chinese" food served in America has no resemblance whatsoever to what's actually served in China, I'd say the "cultural appropriation" is only in the mind.

There's a Fulin's in Madison, Decatur and 9 locations in Tennessee, all operated by the same family. I've only visited the one in Decatur, but it generally has very good food, if a bit expensive for what you get. The only problem is that sometimes the spicy foods are way, way too bland. I'm sure if I asked them to make it spicier they would do that.
My statement, of course, was made in a joking manner.

I really like American Chinese food. It may be "American" but is normally run by 'real' Chinese people. One place I've been several times for lunch is on Winchester Rd in a small shopping center. It's very small but also very good and very reasonably priced. It's run by some really nice folks. I also liked Jade Palace and don't know why it closes.I once ate in Chinatown in San Francisco, but I honestly don't remember if it was Americanized or not. I know it was very good.

The same statement can apply to Mexican food too in the US. But the very best I've ever had was just west of Albuquerque; whether that was genuinely Mexican or not, I have no idea. There was a Mexican lady who lived south of Drake Ave who, several years ago, served lunch in her home one day a week. I'm pretty sure it was the 'real' thing, and was good, but different.

This year, my family and I had a mid-afternoon Christmas lunch at Off the Hook in Panama City Beach, and were able to sit outside in perfect weather. Our big Christmas dinner was at my son's house on Christmas Eve.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:33 PM

Had Chinese food at a place in the Chinese market in Chicago. I want American Chinese food.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:59 PM

190 posts, read 129,033 times
All the ones with people who have to work on Christmas are open.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikeRider View Post
All the ones with people who have to work on Christmas are open.
Um... You are five days late.

Also, not helpful.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:20 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,216,043 times
Quote:
The same statement can apply to Mexican food too in the US. But the very best I've ever had was just west of Albuquerque; whether that was genuinely Mexican or not, I have no idea.
That was probably New Mexican cuisine, which is its own thing and different from Mexican and Tex-Mex.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:06 AM

447 posts, read 557,951 times
Quote:
This year, my family and I had a mid-afternoon Christmas lunch at Off the Hook in Panama City Beach, and were able to sit outside in perfect weather.
Ha, we went to the same place for Christmas. We had Chinese takeout though.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:16 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guxu View Post
Ha, we went to the same place for Christmas. We had Chinese takeout though.
My son and his family live in PCB. They moved into their house a week before Michael hit. Talk about bad luck! Their house wasn't destroyed, but they had a lot of shingles blown off, subsequent water damage, and the pool screen in the backyard was badly damaged. Just got the roof replaced last week, so now they can finally get the house dried out.

We had our big dinner on Christmas Eve night. Christmas Day was Santa, other gifts, then a relaxing day on the beach and the mid afternoon lunch. It was nice and warm there, and skies were blue the entire time, except a few clouds on the last day. Saw more sun there than I have here since about October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area