Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 11:10 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,591,294 times

Advertisements

What does everyone else think about paying the online sales tax? I think that it was inevitable since states like Alabama depend heavily upon the revenue generated by sales taxes.

Online retailers with in-state sales of $200,000 or more now must register with the Alabama Department of Revenue then collect and remit the 8% sales taxes. If the local sales taxes are less then 8%, like Madison County which has a 4.5% sales tax, then people can get a refund of the difference at the end of the year.

People were always supposed to pay the sales taxes for online retailers. If it wasn't paid at the time of sales there was a place to declare it on the state tax forms. I bet few probably did.

Even though the larger online retailers are now collecting the sales for Alabama I am sure that we are still required to declare the taxes on our tax forms if the they are not collected by smaller online retailers.

Alabama’s online sales tax brought in additional $12 million during holidays
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 11:15 AM

138 posts, read 155,846 times
For me, I loved online shopping when, if the store was not located in my zip code, there was zero tax.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:37 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
*shrug* It was inevitable. It levels the playing field a little bit for local business, raises revenue without new taxes. Government allowed for faster development of the internet by not pushing the tax issue. Government gave land to railroad companies to promote westward development. Government subsidizes or stays out of the way of areas where it wants growth. Once that is achieved, it harvests taxes or eliminates supports.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:56 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
You were supposed to report it on your state tax return, and pay the sales taxes, but I'll bet few if any actually did it.

I have no problem with it. The government has to have funding with which to operate, and they were losing a lot to online sales.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:34 PM

609 posts, read 528,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
What does everyone else think about paying the online sales tax? I think that it was inevitable since states like Alabama depend heavily upon the revenue generated by sales taxes.

Online retailers with in-state sales of $200,000 or more now must register with the Alabama Department of Revenue then collect and remit the 8% sales taxes. If the local sales taxes are less then 8%, like Madison County which has a 4.5% sales tax, then people can get a refund of the difference at the end of the year.

People were always supposed to pay the sales taxes for online retailers. If it wasn't paid at the time of sales there was a place to declare it on the state tax forms. I bet few probably did.

Even though the larger online retailers are now collecting the sales for Alabama I am sure that we are still required to declare the taxes on our tax forms if the they are not collected by smaller online retailers.

Alabama’s online sales tax brought in additional $12 million during holidays
The article says the following-

The SSUT allows merchants to pay a flat 8 percent sales tax and avoid navigating the more than 200 different city and county rates across the state. Of the 8 percent, 60 percent goes to municipalities and 40 percent to counties, based on population.

Does that mean that none of it goes to the state?

Old 02-13-2019, 02:49 PM

271 posts, read 293,918 times
I'd be fine with it...if this state would first allow citizens to willingly GIVE them tax dollars via a lottery before increasing an already crazy sales tax rate. Alabama has the 4th highest sales tax once you factor in city and county taxes. I'd love to see the hard numbers on how much money is lost each year due to in-state earned income being donated to Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, Louisiana & soon Mississippi.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teko03 View Post
I'd be fine with it...if this state would first allow citizens to willingly GIVE them tax dollars via a lottery before increasing an already crazy sales tax rate. Alabama has the 4th highest sales tax once you factor in city and county taxes. I'd love to see the hard numbers on how much money is lost each year due to in-state earned income being donated to Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, Louisiana & soon Mississippi.
Good point, and hopefully that situation will be rectified soon.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston3124 View Post
The article says the following-

The SSUT allows merchants to pay a flat 8 percent sales tax and avoid navigating the more than 200 different city and county rates across the state. Of the 8 percent, 60 percent goes to municipalities and 40 percent to counties, based on population.

Does that mean that none of it goes to the state?
"Of the 8 percent, 4 percent goes to the state's coffers, 2 percent goes to counties and 2 percent to cities, with the county and city shares prorated for population."

Simplified Seller's Use Tax Disbursements (01-01-18 to 12-31-18)
Huntsville = $1,333,266.73
Madison = $317,857.94
Madison County = $1,498,016.48

Simplified Seller's Use Tax Disbursements (01-01-19 to 2-28-19)
Huntsville = $451,556.66
Madison = $107,653.53
Madison County = $507,354.82

With that much disbursed in only two months the totals for 2019 could easily double that for 2018.

How much Alabama – and your city – has received through online sales taxes
https://www.al.com/news/2018/11/how-...les-taxes.html

Simplified Sellers Use Tax (SSUT)
https://revenue.alabama.gov/sales-us...-use-tax-ssut/

Old 02-13-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teko03 View Post
States with lower sales taxes just have other ways to collect taxes. For example a lot of states have much higher property taxes than Alabama. The same goes for state income taxes.

Lotteries are no panacea. I remember one state starting a lottery for education. I bet after the lottery started the education total budget did not increase that much. In other words after lottery money started going to education the money that would have gone to education from the state budget got spent on other things.

The lottery Is a Tax — An Inefficient, Regressive and Exploitative Tax
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/max-g...b_8081192.html

Old 02-13-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
"Of the 8 percent, 4 percent goes to the state's coffers, 2 percent goes to counties and 2 percent to cities, with the county and city shares prorated for population."

Simplified Seller's Use Tax Disbursements (01-01-18 to 12-31-18)
Huntsville = $1,333,266.73
Madison = $317,857.94
Madison County = $1,498,016.48

Simplified Seller's Use Tax Disbursements (01-01-19 to 2-28-19)
Huntsville = $451,556.66
Madison = $107,653.53
Madison County = $507,354.82

With that much disbursed in only two months the totals for 2019 could easily double that for 2018.

How much Alabama – and your city – has received through online sales taxes
https://www.al.com/news/2018/11/how-...les-taxes.html

Simplified Sellers Use Tax (SSUT)
https://revenue.alabama.gov/sales-us...-use-tax-ssut/
Madison is coming out ahead on this way of disbursing. Huntsville is about 4 times the size of Madison, but has over 7 times the retail sales of Madison (according to the Census bureau, 2012 data on sales).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area