Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 08:25 AM

36 posts, read 36,537 times

Advertisements

My 2 cents... if you plan on sending your kids to elite private universities, by all means go w/the local elite private schools. If a state university is more likely, Grissom/Huntsville/Madison County/Madison City will do just fine. A lot of the noise behind HCS' issues are simply unfounded, nosy, parental paranoia.

Last edited by Hsv256; 04-02-2019 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 12:33 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times
maillemaker ... I didn't quote you because it's so long ... but I can't find a thing to argue about with what you said.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:48 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker;54838127
On a positive note, another thing HCS has tried to do to boost the numbers in their "failing" schools is they have put high-performing "[B
magnate [/b]programs" inside the bad schools. The Academy for Arts and Sciences (AAS), The Academy for Science and Foreign Language (ASFL), The Academy for Gifted and Talented (AGT) are middle-school magnate programs, and New Century Technology and College Academy are high school magnate programs. Many of these are in otherwise less-than-stellar schools.
I believe you mean "magnet."

Old 04-03-2019, 04:25 AM

34 posts, read 37,527 times
Preach it maillemaker! This sums up how I feel about the school issue.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:35 PM

30 posts, read 29,826 times
I exactly agree with mailmaker. Grissom used to be the best. Now if you want to get me the best schools they're in Madison or private.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:22 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,593,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSense View Post
I exactly agree with mailmaker. Grissom used to be the best. Now if you want to get me the best schools they're in Madison or private.
If you look at the numbers for Huntsville city schools at the web site listed below the rankings are based on standardized test scores. What stands out is that at least for high schools the lower the free/discount lunch number is the higher the school is ranked. That indicates that better schools have households with higher incomes than lower ranked ones. You can speculate that as lower income students are bused to the better schools that will drag down the rankings of once better schools.

Referring to the numbers below for Huntsville High School and Grissom High School...Did the high reputations of Grissom High School draw so many low income students that it has dragged down its ranking?

Huntsville High School
Student/Teacher: 18.9
Free/Discounted Lunch: 24.0%

Grissom High School
Student/Teacher: 19.3
Free/Discounted Lunch: 33.0%

Best Public Schools in Huntsville, AL

Old 06-12-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
If you look at the numbers for Huntsville city schools at the web site listed below the rankings are based on standardized test scores. What stands out is that at least for high schools the lower the free/discount lunch number is the higher the school is ranked. That indicates that better schools have households with higher incomes than lower ranked ones. You can speculate that as lower income students are bused to the better schools that will drag down the rankings of once better schools.

Referring to the numbers below for Huntsville High School and Grissom High School...Did the high reputations of Grissom High School draw so many low income students that it has dragged down its ranking?

Huntsville High School
Student/Teacher: 18.9
Free/Discounted Lunch: 24.0%

Grissom High School
Student/Teacher: 19.3
Free/Discounted Lunch: 33.0%

Best Public Schools in Huntsville, AL
It's a bit surprising that some of the "well located" elementary schools are ranked so low yet the high schools are ranked relatively high across the state.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
It's a bit surprising that some of the "well located" elementary schools are ranked so low yet the high schools are ranked relatively high across the state.
The problem with rankings is that they are mostly based on students standard test results. Even then they are only a snapshot in time for that school.

The population of a given part of town changes as the demographics change. Also busing also changes the mix of students at a given school. When you try predict what are the best schools in Huntsville now may be much different 10 to 20 years from now. Some people are mobile enough to move when they think the quality of the schools nearby are below par. Unfortunately most people are not.

I remember the last time they changed the areas zoned for Huntsville schools made some people very unhappy. They were also very vocal about it.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:01 AM

Why doesn't Huntsville build a high school in Hampton Cove? I believe those students now go to Huntsville High, which means a trip over Monte Sano, which can be dicey in the winter and is at best a pain any time of they year. If a new one were to be built, then they could rezone the schools on the west side of Monte Sano to more of a neighborhood concept (if the crazy courts allow).

Old 06-16-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Why doesn't Huntsville build a high school in Hampton Cove? I believe those students now go to Huntsville High, which means a trip over Monte Sano, which can be dicey in the winter and is at best a pain any time of they year. If a new one were to be built, then they could rezone the schools on the west side of Monte Sano to more of a neighborhood concept (if the crazy courts allow).
Many school zones are very convoluted to comply with court restrictions.You are right in that a new zone for Hampton Cove might be very problematic and might lead to hard feelings on both sides. As an example look how far they had to extend the zone for Providence to comply. Maps for the school zones are shown below.

My School Maps

Elementary School Zones

Middle School Zones

High School Zones

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area