Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 03:02 PM

12,719 posts, read 9,234,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Signs and decorum are almost always in contradiction to each other. If Madison wanted to be progressive with signs and get citizens on its side, it would enact an ordinance limiting both the aiming of security lights and the light output at night of the LED display signs.

There is one stretch of 72 that I dread driving at night in the rain. One business has security lights that blind traffic, and at one church the display is so blinding that I swear that Jesus is out to kill those who aren't home after dark. In both cases a good ambulance chaser would earn his client a hefty settlement from the site AND the city/county for allowing a dangerous road hazard to continue.
Yes, that is true too. Hopefully such an ordinance will happen, and above all, it will be enforced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 05:56 PM

27 posts, read 24,835 times
To answer the impact and phase agreement questions. Please no more justifications on how qualified the school board and city council members are. If they were doing there jobs effectively, businesses would not be leaving the city, developers would not be starting new developments in neighboring areas, the roads and traffic flow would not be as they are, etc...
The standard justification for impact fees—that they exist to protect existing taxpayers from rate hikes due to the costs imposed by new development. This is what the council and school board will want the average person that has no business knowledge to believe. This is just not true. It’s actually illegal and I’m sure you’ll hear about the lawsuits. The bad part is, you the taxpayer will pay for it. Madison wants to impose this to slow growth as not to “overcrowd the school district. They will make it impossible to develop new areas due to the builders having to pay, from what I’ve heard 4K per house. The phase agreements are the second line of defense to slow growth. It actually stops growth. If a new development is approved, they rezone it under the condition to not build but a certain number of houses per year. No builders or developers will play this game and go to other areas like limestone, Athens,etc. Madison has only approved 2 new developments in the last 2 plus years. They call this an “unofficial morotorium”. This is why Athens is announcing business deals, new development deals, etc. This is not legal, especially for the land owners, builders and developers that have money, time and resources trying to improve the city. They are being held hostage by the council and board because of ignorance, attitude and lack of leadership. The taxpayer foots the bill. I’m sure this explanation will be called false or innuendo or whatever but all one needs to do is ask questions and look around and see what’s happening. As a taxpayer, not playing arm chair quarterback, but this city will be in a mess if things do not change.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:30 AM

2,443 posts, read 3,190,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squat700 View Post
To answer the impact and phase agreement questions. Please no more justifications on how qualified the school board and city council members are. If they were doing there jobs effectively, businesses would not be leaving the city, developers would not be starting new developments in neighboring areas, the roads and traffic flow would not be as they are, etc...
The standard justification for impact fees—that they exist to protect existing taxpayers from rate hikes due to the costs imposed by new development. This is what the council and school board will want the average person that has no business knowledge to believe. This is just not true. It’s actually illegal and I’m sure you’ll hear about the lawsuits. The bad part is, you the taxpayer will pay for it. Madison wants to impose this to slow growth as not to “overcrowd the school district. They will make it impossible to develop new areas due to the builders having to pay, from what I’ve heard 4K per house. The phase agreements are the second line of defense to slow growth. It actually stops growth. If a new development is approved, they rezone it under the condition to not build but a certain number of houses per year. No builders or developers will play this game and go to other areas like limestone, Athens,etc. Madison has only approved 2 new developments in the last 2 plus years. They call this an “unofficial morotorium”. This is why Athens is announcing business deals, new development deals, etc. This is not legal, especially for the land owners, builders and developers that have money, time and resources trying to improve the city. They are being held hostage by the council and board because of ignorance, attitude and lack of leadership. The taxpayer foots the bill. I’m sure this explanation will be called false or innuendo or whatever but all one needs to do is ask questions and look around and see what’s happening. As a taxpayer, not playing arm chair quarterback, but this city will be in a mess if things do not change.
What businesses are leaving Madison?

Old 04-19-2019, 05:18 PM

I think instead of asking the question, "what businesses are leaving Madison?" Ask "Why are businesses not choosing Madison?" I personally know of 5 that have shut up shop and reopened in neighboring areas. The question I ask is why? The answers range from Madison is very difficult to get things done in a timely manner to traffic is horrible to no one really shops in Madison other than food, gas and grocery stores. In business time is money. People that work for the state or government have no concept of this type of reasoning unless a contract is coming due. Why did Toyota/Mazda choose Huntsville? Madison has hundreds of acres in the western area. Why did Toyota choose Athens for their feeder supplier? Madison made more sense. Why is the Clift Farm development worth millions in tax revenue refusing to be in the city and staying in Madison county? Why are surrounding areas such as Athens, Limstone , Hartselle, etc. growing at record pace while Madison is stuck in the mud? Athens new high school cost 58 million, about what James Clemens cost. What did our pe coach superintendent say a new school would cost? It's amazing other areas can build new schools but Madison has to stop growth for 2 yrs so they can " talk about increasing taxes"? Yet Madison is still sore from losing the school tax case with Limestone?? Why? Because they didn't plan when they built James Clemens in Limestone county. That only took 2 yrs to resolve and Madison delayed the outcome as to not look "bad" in the public eye. Madison acts like they are the only area with good schools. When is the last time anyone ever heard from our mayor other than him talking about Madison's minor league baseball team that I'm sure will be well worth the millions invested as the roads, schools and communities get worse every year. I don't think they can host enough little league baseball parities, pet adoption days and cancer walks to pay for that. Sorry there I go again with the false statements and innuendo.. Sorry, go Trash Pandas

Old 04-19-2019, 05:36 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,288,715 times
Quote:
I think instead of asking the question, "what businesses are leaving Madison?" Ask "Why are businesses not choosing Madison?" I personally know of 5 that have shut up shop and reopened in neighboring areas. The question I ask is why? The answers range from Madison is very difficult to get things done in a timely manner to traffic is horrible to no one really shops in Madison other than food, gas and grocery stores. In business time is money. People that work for the state or government have no concept of this type of reasoning unless a contract is coming due. Why did Toyota/Mazda choose Huntsville? Madison has hundreds of acres in the western area. Why did Toyota choose Athens for their feeder supplier? Madison made more sense. Why is the Clift Farm development worth millions in tax revenue refusing to be in the city and staying in Madison county? Why are surrounding areas such as Athens, Limstone , Hartselle, etc. growing at record pace while Madison is stuck in the mud? Athens new high school cost 58 million, about what James Clemens cost. What did our pe coach superintendent say a new school would cost? It's amazing other areas can build new schools but Madison has to stop growth for 2 yrs so they can " talk about increasing taxes"? Yet Madison is still sore from losing the school tax case with Limestone?? Why? Because they didn't plan when they built James Clemens in Limestone county. That only took 2 yrs to resolve and Madison delayed the outcome as to not look "bad" in the public eye. Madison acts like they are the only area with good schools. When is the last time anyone ever heard from our mayor other than him talking about Madison's minor league baseball team that I'm sure will be well worth the millions invested as the roads, schools and communities get worse every year. I don't think they can host enough little league baseball parities, pet adoption days and cancer walks to pay for that. Sorry there I go again with the false statements and innuendo.. Sorry, go Trash Pandas
Really? Where are these hundreds of acres in Madison city limits in the "western area" that would have been large enough to accommodate something the size of Mazda/Toyota? There might be plenty of land in unincorporated Limestone County, but I don't think it's in Madison city limits.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:49 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,044,414 times
Quote:
It's good to question things, but you are asking questions that don't make a lot of sense because of your misunderstanding.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:14 PM

6 posts, read 8,085 times
Madison City boundaries

I completely agree the baseball stadium is a very poor choice for Madison. The school board though doesn't and didn't have any say in it being built. They are only in charge of the school system.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:59 AM

608 posts, read 522,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth27 View Post
Madison City boundaries

I completely agree the baseball stadium is a very poor choice for Madison. The school board though doesn't and didn't have any say in it being built. They are only in charge of the school system.
So what does it mean if your neighborhood is zoned agricultural?

Old 04-20-2019, 08:36 AM

If it's zoned "Ag" that means it's agricultural use. The land can only be used to grow crops Until it is rezoned. The Huntsville Toyota is walking distance from the Madison annexed land was also Ag. If you do not think the school board runs the city counsel then your head is in the sand. If you do not understand the questions then there is no way you can understand the answers. Do not take my word on any of this, read for yourself, look at what's happening. When your stuck sitting in the endless traffic every morning and afternoon, do a little research, ask why. I wonder if my "misunderstanding " is flawing my opinion. If only I were an "educator ".. anyway go Trash Pandas

Old 04-20-2019, 12:09 PM

646 posts, read 572,024 times
SQUAT700, you sound like a disgruntled landowner who cannot make the profit because developers/builders are being stymied by the city.

You made me laugh with the statement, "This is not legal, especially for the land owners, builders and developers that have money, time and resources trying to improve the city. Those who are buying/selling land and those who develop and build up the land are NOT trying to improve the city. They are trying to make a profit. The more the better for them and only them and without a care in the world the eyesore that they may create.

Care to elaborate on, "I personally know of 5 that have shut up shop and reopened in neighboring areas."? I could use another good laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area