Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 10:24 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,987,064 times

Advertisements

HUNTSVILLE MY BODY MY CHOICE MARCH, Sunday May 19th, Court Square, 4PM. Support women's right to make decisions for their own health.

More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/403770306874651/

Old 05-16-2019, 01:27 PM

926 posts, read 418,829 times
I wish I would be there on the 19th - would definitely attend this march.

This kind of law is precisely what gives Alabama a bad reputation in the rest of the country and abroad, too.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:19 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,138,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur123 View Post

This kind of law is precisely what gives Alabama a bad reputation in the rest of the country and abroad, too.

Or a good one, depending on one's perspective.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:56 AM

561 posts, read 1,514,749 times
Alabama is so far behind the curve on so many issues, but leave it to them to be the first to pass the most conservative controversial abortion ban EVER! This will be a colossal waste of tax dollars and I hope Gov. Ivey will veto demonstrating she prioritizes the people of Alabama over limelight-seeking lawyers and legislature members! It would be far more beneficial for Alabama to spend our tax dollars on infrastructure and storm damage!

Old 05-17-2019, 08:59 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,850,696 times
Quote:

Exactly, it gets old being the butt of jokes and looking like the jackasses of the nation.

However, legally it is going to be more or less irrelevant because it will never actually make it to go into effect. First, abortion will never be illegal again. Every time it has been challenged it has been struck down. Secondly and most importantly, a law that criminalizes doctors for performing a medical procedure and putting them in the position of having to make a decision whether to chance being prosecuted or performing a procedure that they believe to be necessary at the time under the circumstances should not have ever been passed in the first place.

All of this nonsense is another prime example of why religion should never be injected into law. If you want to see examples of what religion based law looks like, check out the middle eastern countries. It has been working out fantastic for them for a thousand years now. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
Alabama is so far behind the curve on so many issues, but leave it to them to be the first to pass the most conservative controversial abortion ban EVER! This will be a colossal waste of tax dollars and I hope Gov. Ivey will veto demonstrating she prioritizes the people of Alabama over limelight-seeking lawyers and legislature members! It would be far more beneficial for Alabama to spend our tax dollars on infrastructure and storm damage!
So true. It is going to be a train wreck. There will be so many legal challenges and lawsuits it will be tied up in court for years and cost millions unless the morons at Montgomery finally just drop it and let it die.

I rarely vote Democrat and when I do it is typically to vote against somebody (Roy Moore comes to mind). However, I am so sick of this nonsense, I am about to the point I am going to start just checking the Democrat box on state elections and do my part to help try to clean house in Montgomery and start over.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:08 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,850,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Or a good one, depending on one's perspective.
No it's definitely not a good one. These sorts of things are why everyone thinks we are a bunch of religious nut jobs.

Moderator cut: Quoted post deleted

It is not all Liberals. A significant portion of conservatives do not support abortion bans either. It is primarily the deeply religious groups that make all the noise. That group has been shrinking the last 10 years.

Last edited by harry chickpea; 05-17-2019 at 11:26 PM..

Old 05-17-2019, 02:54 PM

Moderator cut: Quoted post deleted

Sorry, but no. Not everyone against this law is a liberal. I'm a conservative (fiscally definitely conservative, and socially moderate, but not liberal) and I think this law is a bad idea.

It's not about the murder of innocent babies - it's about protecting the children. Even wondered what it's like to be an unwanted and unloved child?

Last edited by harry chickpea; 05-17-2019 at 11:26 PM..

Old 05-17-2019, 04:01 PM

523 posts, read 1,005,515 times
Quote:
Sorry, but no. Not everyone against this law is a liberal. I'm a conservative (fiscally definitely conservative, and socially moderate, but not liberal) and I think this law is a bad idea.

It's not about the murder of innocent babies - it's about protecting the children. Even wondered what it's like to be an unwanted and unloved child?
Then keep your pants on, or use some type of birth control. Your irresponsible actions do not give you the right to murder a defenseless child.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmaster View Post
Then keep your pants on, or use some type of birth control. Your irresponsible actions do not give you the right to murder a defenseless child.
I'll repeat it: even wondered what it's like to be an unwanted and unloved child?

In an ideal world, I would agree with you. But we do not live in an ideal world. Not everyone is educated, not everyone is mentally sane, not everyone knows how to deal with various issues and not everyone has a support system.

At the very least, if a State wishes to ban abortion, it should make sex education mandatory in all of its schools (public and private), and inform the students about birth control options.

If it does not provide this information, then to force a woman who doesn't want to be a mother to have a child is cruel:
-- for the woman
-- for the child (even more so, and by far)
-- for society at large: when a child grows up in an inadequate environment, with parents who do not take care of him properly and do not love him, guess what's likely to happen: the child is likely to act badly and cause problems.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:37 PM

523 posts, read 1,005,515 times
Quote:
I'll repeat it: even wondered what it's like to be an unwanted and unloved child?

In an ideal world, I would agree with you. But we do not live in an ideal world. Not everyone is educated, not everyone is mentally sane, not everyone knows how to deal with various issues and not everyone has a support system.

At the very least, if a State wishes to ban abortion, it should make sex education mandatory in all of its schools (public and private), and inform the students about birth control options.

If it does not provide this information, then to force a woman who doesn't want to be a mother to have a child is cruel:
-- for the woman
-- for the child (even more so, and by far)
-- for society at large: when a child grows up in an inadequate environment, with parents who do not take care of him properly and do not love him, guess what's likely to happen: the child is likely to act badly and cause problems.
There is always adoption if you do not want the child. The only part of this law I disagree with is not making exemptions for rape and incest....and incest is questionable. If you have sex with a family member willingly, you are not being raped. So basically rape is the only exception I think they should allow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: