Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 11:05 AM

447 posts, read 557,951 times

Advertisements

So, what is the plan for Zierdt Rd? Will it be a 4-lane road, or just switch to the new location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 01:46 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guxu View Post
So, what is the plan for Zierdt Rd? Will it be a 4-lane road, or just switch to the new location?
4-lane with grass median and appropriate turn lanes (dual turn northbound into Town Madison). It'll have curbs and gutters with hopefully adequate drainage. I believe there will be traffic signals at Town Madison and Edgewater Dr at a minimum ... not sure about the Mountain Brook intersection (I'd heard that there may not be one, but we'll see).

The intersection at Hwy 20 (Madison Blvd) will be much better, but virtually anything would be an improvement. They seem to be finishing up the drainage in the area, so hopefully work will begin soon on the intersecting roadways.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:43 PM

764 posts, read 1,109,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
4-lane with grass median and appropriate turn lanes (dual turn northbound into Town Madison). It'll have curbs and gutters with hopefully adequate drainage. I believe there will be traffic signals at Town Madison and Edgewater Dr at a minimum ... not sure about the Mountain Brook intersection (I'd heard that there may not be one, but we'll see).

The intersection at Hwy 20 (Madison Blvd) will be much better, but virtually anything would be an improvement. They seem to be finishing up the drainage in the area, so hopefully work will begin soon on the intersecting roadways.
At the Madison Boulevard intersection, there will be two left turn lanes for those traveling westbound on Madison Blvd. seeking to turn left on and go southbound on Zierdt. This alone will be a significant safety improvement as the cars seeking to turn left can sometimes back up into the left lane on Madison Blvd.

The developers of Town Madison will pay for the cost of constructing the two left turn lanes from northbound on Zierdt into Town Madison.

From some of the artists renderings I have seen, it looks like the traffic light for the Mountain Brook of Madison neighborhood will be moved to the south entrance so there won't be two traffic signals so close together.

At the meeting at the Edgewater clubhouse, the guy speaking from Town Madison said that while all of the restaurants facing Zierdt will have an entrance from the back and not have an entrance (curb cut) onto Zierdt, it will be interesting to see what the City of Madison will decide regarding Chick fil A as they can cause significant backups in their drive-throughs.

The other restaurants that were mentioned as either being committed to or considering TM include Starbucks, Chipotle, Outback Steakhouse, Stoney River Steakhouse, and Taco Bell. These are in addition to the 18 restaurants in the Food Hall which will be adjacent to the baseball stadium and the restaurants in the Margaritaville Hotel. Chuckwagon Barbecue is considering locating in the Food Hall.

All in all, Town Madison will offer a vast improvement to the limited restaurant offerings on the south side of Madison where Cracker Barrel and Logan's are the only non fast food options which are currently available.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
At the Madison Boulevard intersection, there will be two left turn lanes for those traveling westbound on Madison Blvd. seeking to turn left on and go southbound on Zierdt. This alone will be a significant safety improvement as the cars seeking to turn left can sometimes back up into the left lane on Madison Blvd.

The developers of Town Madison will pay for the cost of constructing the two left turn lanes from northbound on Zierdt into Town Madison.

From some of the artists renderings I have seen, it looks like the traffic light for the Mountain Brook of Madison neighborhood will be moved to the south entrance so there won't be two traffic signals so close together.

At the meeting at the Edgewater clubhouse, the guy speaking from Town Madison said that while all of the restaurants facing Zierdt will have an entrance from the back and not have an entrance (curb cut) onto Zierdt, it will be interesting to see what the City of Madison will decide regarding Chick fil A as they can cause significant backups in their drive-throughs.

The other restaurants that were mentioned as either being committed to or considering TM include Starbucks, Chipotle, Outback Steakhouse, Stoney River Steakhouse, and Taco Bell. These are in addition to the 18 restaurants in the Food Hall which will be adjacent to the baseball stadium and the restaurants in the Margaritaville Hotel. Chuckwagon Barbecue is considering locating in the Food Hall.

All in all, Town Madison will offer a vast improvement to the limited restaurant offerings on the south side of Madison where Cracker Barrel and Logan's are the only non fast food options which are currently available.
I've lived in Edgewater for almost 30 years, and have always wondered why Hwy 20 didn't get similar development as Hwy 72 got and is getting. I suppose that is changing now. Of course, when we moved here, there was virtually nothing on Madison Blvd, but everything (to me) is sort of lower level ... Walmart, fast food, etc. Seems that now things will be a lot more convenient for those coming from Decatur and other points west to shop, eat, whatever.

Old 05-30-2019, 04:06 PM

641 posts, read 698,473 times
Quote:
it will be interesting to see what the City of Madison will decide regarding Chick fil A

Say what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I've lived in Edgewater for almost 30 years, and have always wondered why Hwy 20 didn't get similar development as Hwy 72 got and is getting. I suppose that is changing now. Of course, when we moved here, there was virtually nothing on Madison Blvd, but everything (to me) is sort of lower level ... Walmart, fast food, etc. Seems that now things will be a lot more convenient for those coming from Decatur and other points west to shop, eat, whatever.

Madison Boulevard is going to pot, and TM will make it even worse. Even the Motel 6 got downgraded to a Budget Inn. (What kind of town can't even hold onto a Motel 6?) The only good news for Madison Boulevard is I saw somewhere that the Walmart is going to be renovated.

Madison Boulevard needs some urban renewal that would start with knocking down all of the old motels. But of course none of that will happen. It will continue to decay.

Madison on US 72 east of Wall Triana (not including the large frontages in Huntsville) is just a few years behind. The strip mall with Publix already has a lot of vacancies, and its survival will be in doubt when Publix decamps for Clift Farms.

Madison is just struggling to hold onto its retail in an era where stores are closing and has to compete with Huntsville. And the reality is that Huntsville is just way better at recruiting and landing businesses (and landowners.)

Old 05-30-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
Say what?

Madison Boulevard is going to pot, and TM will make it even worse. Even the Motel 6 got downgraded to a Budget Inn. (What kind of town can't even hold onto a Motel 6?) The only good news for Madison Boulevard is I saw somewhere that the Walmart is going to be renovated.

Madison Boulevard needs some urban renewal that would start with knocking down all of the old motels. But of course none of that will happen. It will continue to decay.

Madison on US 72 east of Wall Triana (not including the large frontages in Huntsville) is just a few years behind. The strip mall with Publix already has a lot of vacancies, and its survival will be in doubt when Publix decamps for Clift Farms.

Madison is just struggling to hold onto its retail in an era where stores are closing and has to compete with Huntsville. And the reality is that Huntsville is just way better at recruiting and landing businesses (and landowners.)
When Hwy 20 got renamed Madison Blvd, maintenance of the roadway became the responsibility of the city instead of the state. Best I can tell, they've done zero maintenance since then (not that the state would have). Even the paint striping has faded, in some spots to where it's not even visible. So yes, it has degraded.

I don't know that the situation is quite as dire as you indicate, but it's far from a beautiful street. At least the Zierdt Rd intersection will look presentable before too long.

Don't know about Walmart renovations, other than they've rearranged everything inside. There's really no way to make a Walmart attractive ... it always has a certain stigma attached. And yes, it's my understanding that Town Madison will have a Chik Fil A location.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:39 AM

271 posts, read 294,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post

With the growth in the area, I have a feeling that Town Madison will eventually get investors into buying up those run down businesses along Madison Blvd...at least I hope so.

That being said, the city of Madison has conducted a growth study on Madison Blvd and has labeled it a key development area. They've had a "face-lift" envisioned for Madison Blvd for some time now. Let's hope we can see something similar come to life within the next 5 or so years.

Quote:
...it will be interesting to see what the City of Madison will decide regarding Chick fil A as they can cause significant backups in their drive-throughs.

Taco Bell & Starbucks have been shown on the Town Madison site map for a while now...so not shocked to hear about those two. This is the first I've heard of Stoney River, Chick Fil A, Chipotle & Outback. All big wins for the area if true, especially Chick Fil A.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:00 AM

125 posts, read 165,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teko03 View Post
Taco Bell & Starbucks have been shown on the Town Madison site map for a while now...so not shocked to hear about those two. This is the first I've heard of Stoney River, Chick Fil A, Chipotle & Outback. All big wins for the area if true, especially Chick Fil A.

Agreed! With as much residential development going on, especially south of Martin Rd, and the added exit off 565, it would a boneheaded move NOT to expand into the area. Developing Madison Blvd, Wall Triana and Zierdt would help pull some of the traffic by giving options to people that would normally have to drive 20+ minutes for something other than fast food and Walmart.

These options named would really help. Although, I'm perplexed about Taco Bell as there is one literally a few miles west that was just remodeled? A big box hardware store would be huge IMHO as well as more out of area business like Duluth.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:40 AM

271 posts, read 294,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csutton79 View Post
...Although, I'm perplexed about Taco Bell as there is one literally a few miles west that was just remodeled?

My exact thoughts. I hope the Taco Bell doesn't happen. Zaxby's however is in dire need of a new home...definitely wouldn't be mad if they made the moved to the Town Madison out parcels....but I would still prefer that new to the area restaurants occupy those spaces instead.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:38 PM

410 posts, read 696,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teko03 View Post
My exact thoughts. I hope the Taco Bell doesn't happen. Zaxby's however is in dire need of a new home...definitely wouldn't be mad if they made the moved to the Town Madison out parcels....but I would still prefer that new to the area restaurants occupy those spaces instead.
The restaurants that were shown on the "leaked" Town Madison West End map (near the new Home2 Suites) were Zaxby's, Milo's, and Saltgrass. Also a Hilton Garden Inn. I have never seen Chick-Fil-A mentioned, but wouldn't be surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area