U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2019, 06:09 AM
 
2,430 posts, read 2,651,153 times
Reputation: 1217

Advertisements

Someone on Reddit has confirmed the direct Frontier Hsv to Denver flights will end in November. Changes to direct flights to connections to allow additional routes to their network.
Sounds like they are opening up gate capacity at Denver.
The daily United nonstops will have to do.

Last edited by AU HSV; 08-04-2019 at 07:17 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2019, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of TN, AL and FL
1,621 posts, read 1,514,897 times
Reputation: 2749
Those super low rates never end up lasting. Mobile's won't be far behind.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 07:25 AM
 
2,430 posts, read 2,651,153 times
Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Those super low rates never end up lasting. Mobile's won't be far behind.
Looking at their schedule Birmingham and Mobile also will see adjustments.
I thought the Denver schedule could have been tweaked to make it a more accommodating but the airline business is a fickle thing.
Use it or lose it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of TN, AL and FL
1,621 posts, read 1,514,897 times
Reputation: 2749
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Looking at their schedule Birmingham and Mobile also will see adjustments.
I thought the Denver schedule could have been tweaked to make it a more accommodating but the airline business is a fickle thing.
Use it or lose it.
Yep. I've seen many, many like this. Vision Airlines was really ground-breaking out of Ft. Walton Beach, then a few months later, poof, gone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 03:06 PM
 
697 posts, read 924,137 times
Reputation: 1166
The challenge Frontier faces is that there were no connections which you could purchase for going and returning, so they were limited to passengers for whom Denver (or other points in Colorado) was their final destination. Even though Southwest doesn't like having connecting passengers, they still have flight itineraries which have a connection at one of their hubs. The other challenge that Frontier faces is that Huntsville isn't a major tourist destination. There probably weren't that many passengers flying from Denver to HSV to see the Space and Rocket Center.


Many of the other cities where Frontier flies are tourist destinations in their own right - Any of the cities on the Gulf Coast will attract passengers during the warmer months. Presently Frontier has a Chicago Mobile flight - There are a lot of folks in the Midwest who travel to the Gulf Shores/Orange Beach area during the summer. However, from October on to about April, I would expect that business to dry up..


The big picture for HSV is the large majority of passengers are business travelers who care more about frequent flier programs than they do low fares. Look what happened to AirTran when they had two daily nonstops to BWI - I'm sure there were thousands who paid more to make to fly to Washington DC by making a connection through Atlanta.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Madison, Alabama
9,414 posts, read 5,713,505 times
Reputation: 6467
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
The challenge Frontier faces is that there were no connections which you could purchase for going and returning, so they were limited to passengers for whom Denver (or other points in Colorado) was their final destination. Even though Southwest doesn't like having connecting passengers, they still have flight itineraries which have a connection at one of their hubs. The other challenge that Frontier faces is that Huntsville isn't a major tourist destination. There probably weren't that many passengers flying from Denver to HSV to see the Space and Rocket Center.


Many of the other cities where Frontier flies are tourist destinations in their own right - Any of the cities on the Gulf Coast will attract passengers during the warmer months. Presently Frontier has a Chicago Mobile flight - There are a lot of folks in the Midwest who travel to the Gulf Shores/Orange Beach area during the summer. However, from October on to about April, I would expect that business to dry up..


The big picture for HSV is the large majority of passengers are business travelers who care more about frequent flier programs than they do low fares. Look what happened to AirTran when they had two daily nonstops to BWI - I'm sure there were thousands who paid more to make to fly to Washington DC by making a connection through Atlanta.
More likely that they care about changeable tickets and last minute purchases.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2019, 07:37 PM
 
2,430 posts, read 2,651,153 times
Reputation: 1217
This will not be a permanent suspension of Denver flights.
Nearly every airport Frontier serves have these types of schedule changes.
Remember Frontier is an ultra low cost carrier with seasonal and big changes in their schedule.
From all indications the airline is doing well in HSV.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2019, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Mobile,Al(the city by the bay)
4,725 posts, read 8,109,058 times
Reputation: 1867
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
This will not be a permanent suspension of Denver flights.
Nearly every airport Frontier serves have these types of schedule changes.
Remember Frontier is an ultra low cost carrier with seasonal and big changes in their schedule.
From all indications the airline is doing well in HSV.
Yeah they are doing really well in Mobile too. Ironically flights from Denver to Mobile have been fully booked also with Denverites. The beach maybe ? I dont know but they are flying into Mobile as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2019, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of TN, AL and FL
1,621 posts, read 1,514,897 times
Reputation: 2749
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Yeah they are doing really well in Mobile too. Ironically flights from Denver to Mobile have been fully booked also with Denverites. The beach maybe ? I dont know but they are flying into Mobile as well.
It’s because the fares are cheap during the promotion period. It’s fairly typical. Not trying to rain on the parade but it’s the reality of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2019, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Mobile,Al(the city by the bay)
4,725 posts, read 8,109,058 times
Reputation: 1867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
It’s because the fares are cheap during the promotion period. It’s fairly typical. Not trying to rain on the parade but it’s the reality of it.
Oh I believe you lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top