U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 01:41 PM

698 posts, read 924,857 times

Advertisements

Bad News: I looked at the Frontier Airlines website about flying to Denver in the fall and noticed that there is no option for buying tickets after November 12th. Given the history of low fare carriers at HSV, it was always a risky bet for a low carrier to provide service here - The original AirTran, Allegiant Air, Independence Air, and the later version of AirTran (which was purchased by Southwest) all lost money here and pulled out.

The good news is that for the time being, Frontier is continuing service to Orlando.

With United's two flights a day to from HSV to their Denver hub, it may have proved too much of a challenge since Frontier isn't set up very well for passengers to make connections to other cities so they are relying on passengers who only want to travel to that one city - In the airline business, this is called point to point service. Southwest much prefers point to point customers rather than those making connections at a hub.

It's hard to see how they will expand their service here to Las Vegas and other cities, given that they couldn't make a go of it to Denver.

Bottom line is if you want a cheap fare to Denver, you better get your ticket soon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 04:09 PM

2,431 posts, read 2,654,756 times
Also possible They not have released the schedule yet

Old 07-04-2019, 05:39 PM

9,430 posts, read 5,727,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
Bad News: I looked at the Frontier Airlines website about flying to Denver in the fall and noticed that there is no option for buying tickets after November 12th. Given the history of low fare carriers at HSV, it was always a risky bet for a low carrier to provide service here - The original AirTran, Allegiant Air, Independence Air, and the later version of AirTran (which was purchased by Southwest) all lost money here and pulled out.

The good news is that for the time being, Frontier is continuing service to Orlando.

With United's two flights a day to from HSV to their Denver hub, it may have proved too much of a challenge since Frontier isn't set up very well for passengers to make connections to other cities so they are relying on passengers who only want to travel to that one city - In the airline business, this is called point to point service. Southwest much prefers point to point customers rather than those making connections at a hub.

It's hard to see how they will expand their service here to Las Vegas and other cities, given that they couldn't make a go of it to Denver.

Bottom line is if you want a cheap fare to Denver, you better get your ticket soon.
A friend (who had airport connections) told me just yesterday that Frontier was really doing well here. One never knows.

Regardless, Frontier has the best looking planes around.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Also possible They not have released the schedule yet
There are Frontier flights from Denver to Huntsville through March of 2020.
Frontier constantly makes seasonal adjustments to their schedule and usually
without notice. Imagine the Huntsville/Denver flights will show up next week or so.
Still the fact remains use it or lose it.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:49 AM

125 posts, read 146,403 times
Don't think I've seen anything official on it yet

If I recall, I'm thinking I saw the same happen several months out just after they announced flights out of Huntsville. I dunno, maybe it gives them a chance to adjust flight times/days?

Old 07-05-2019, 04:08 PM

9,430 posts, read 5,727,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csutton79 View Post
Don't think I've seen anything official on it yet

If I recall, I'm thinking I saw the same happen several months out just after they announced flights out of Huntsville. I dunno, maybe it gives them a chance to adjust flight times/days?
I understand Frontier has flights from Mobile to both Denver and Chicago, and their traffic level is about half of Huntsville. If anything, I'd think Frontier would be adding flights from Huntsville instead of dropping them. I'll ask my friend whose wife works at the airport.

One thing though ... doesn't United have Denver flights from here? Maybe that's what the business travelers use (could be on government contract list). Contractors could opt for the cheaper Frontier flights, but the government may not be able to.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:27 PM

698 posts, read 924,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I understand Frontier has flights from Mobile to both Denver and Chicago, and their traffic level is about half of Huntsville. If anything, I'd think Frontier would be adding flights from Huntsville instead of dropping them. I'll ask my friend whose wife works at the airport.

One thing though ... doesn't United have Denver flights from here? Maybe that's what the business travelers use (could be on government contract list). Contractors could opt for the cheaper Frontier flights, but the government may not be able to.

United has two nonstops from HSV to Denver that fly seven days a week. Frontier on the other hand has one flight which currently operates three days a week - Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. After August 6th (the time schools start back) service will be reduced to two days a week (The Tuesday flight will be cut).

Given the limitations of Frontier not having daily flights, it would be tough for business travelers. This summer, leaving on a Tuesday and returning on Thursday might work. However, after the summer's over the two flights a week, with one on Sundays would be a challenge.

Another advantage United has is they have set up their schedule for passengers to make connecting flights in Denver which fills up their planes (The majority of passengers on the main airlines make connections at their hubs). Therefore, it is easier for United to fill up their smaller planes flying out of HSV.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:00 PM

Both Birmingham to Orlando and Mobile to Chicago don’t show any flights past mid November.
This due to Frontier having not released the schedule yet.
The title of this thread should be changed

Old 07-06-2019, 06:57 PM

3,159 posts, read 4,241,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Both Birmingham to Orlando and Mobile to Chicago don’t show any flights past mid November.
This due to Frontier having not released the schedule yet.
The title of this thread should be changed

Thats what I was thinking. Anything more than 90 days out means nothing. They probably just haven't released their schedule yet. On a side note though, I don't see how they fill planes to Denver anyway. Who the hell wants to go to Denver?

Old 07-06-2019, 07:44 PM

It’s a major hub for United and Frontier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area