Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 02:56 PM

278 posts, read 434,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonhouse View Post
Just completed what your question asks. I came from out of state too. Have go to Church St for a new 1st time DL. It is a state trooper office. Make an online appt, get all your paperwork together before you go. If not prepared it will be a nightmare. I was in and out inside of 15 minutes. You can register to vote at same time.

Auto reg can be done at any satellite office (as well as DL renewal). I was in and out of this office in 5 minutes. I went to the one off NW hwy 53. Inexpensive. Got all the info at Al.gov. Go prepared with the paperwork they will ask for.
I went to go make an online appointment to do what you mention above -- as I am coming from Florida -- but the thing says there are no more appointments in the selected month. When I try to click for the next available time slot -- it just times out.

Sigh. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 06:44 AM

329 posts, read 511,769 times
If you want to get your new resident/star ID license I would recommend driving to the state trooper office in Sheffield (south of Florence. It's a 1.5 hour drive but worth it (took me an hour to get mine).

Old 01-08-2020, 11:33 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,591,294 times
ALEA Driver License examining office
1115-A Church Street, Huntsville, AL 35801

Change in hours as of October 2019:

8AM-4:30PM Mon-Fri
7AM-3:00PM Sat

Old 01-13-2020, 09:31 PM

To get the STAR ID - it says you need a residential mortgage contract as part of verifying residency. Since we just bought a new house, does that refer to the deed? A mortgage bill? What should I use?

Old 01-14-2020, 12:22 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,591,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
To get the STAR ID - it says you need a residential mortgage contract as part of verifying residency. Since we just bought a new house, does that refer to the deed? A mortgage bill? What should I use?
STAR ID Document List
https://www.alea.gov/dps/driver-lice...-document-list

Old 01-14-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
Thanks - but that doesn't answer my question. I referred to that list - it says a residential mortgage contract. Does that mean an actual mortgage bill? A Deed? Anything that has my name and address on it?

Old 01-14-2020, 02:12 PM

52 posts, read 50,445 times
How long have you been in your new house? Reason I ask is you have other options to verify

Vehicle registration bearing applicants name and address
Utility bill (Water, Gas, or Electric) less than 90 days old
Current Homeowners insurance policy with name and address

are just 3

Old 01-15-2020, 01:55 PM

Just got back from my trip to the Church Street Driver License center. With an appointment, it took me 15 minutes to get in and out. However, there were people who had been waiting for the whole day (my appointment was at 1pm) and they looked pretty ticked.

To get my out of state license transfer, plus the Star (real) ID - I had my current passport, my out of state license, a utility bill, and they used my mortgage bill to verify my name and address. Honestly, I think I could have handed them a sheet of paper that had my name and address on it, and they would have accepted it. They didn't seem all that picky, although, I'm not recommending you do that.

There were 4 ladies assigning driver's licenses. The lady helping me told me they were training more folks, and that they have Saturday hours now to help.

This is just an FYI for anyone else looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area