Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 06:44 AM

142 posts, read 272,415 times

Advertisements

I was checking Zillow the day and noticed houses have skyrocketed in the area. Saw a home in North Huntsville, al bad area at that selling for $148,000. A few years ago that same home would have sold in the low 50s or 60s. South Huntsville has always been a little expensive, but now homes are 3 times what they would have originally sold for a few years back. Thanks to all the jobs moving in FBI etc...the working folk are now not going to be able to afford to buy a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 07:53 AM

34 posts, read 37,537 times
Prices are going up but there are still plenty of houses under a $100k as I just checked after reading your post.

My observation has been the new constitution “sweet spot” is now around $300k where it used to be around 200-250k it seems. Certainly not 3x higher though. The only areas that have doubled in value seem to be in the medial district/ Blossomwood. Some of those prices are just insane now. Otherwise I feel like the prices keep steadily increasing 5-10% / year in most areas. Just my $.02

Old 09-03-2019, 12:37 PM

36 posts, read 36,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidac View Post
I was checking Zillow the day and noticed houses have skyrocketed in the area. Saw a home in North Huntsville, al bad area at that selling for $148,000. A few years ago that same home would have sold in the low 50s or 60s. South Huntsville has always been a little expensive, but now homes are 3 times what they would have originally sold for a few years back. Thanks to all the jobs moving in FBI etc...the working folk are now not going to be able to afford to buy a home.

Just out of curiosity... what would qualify North Huntsville as a "bad area?"

Last edited by harry chickpea; 09-13-2019 at 07:52 PM..

Old 09-13-2019, 09:51 AM

8 posts, read 9,629 times
I am really worried about being priced out of my kids' school district. I can't afford a house right now (down payment lacking after bad divorce, etc.) and my rent is RIDICULOUS. The prices really have skyrocketed...at least in SE Hsv.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:52 PM

329 posts, read 512,017 times
Huntsville's rental market has always seemed high for a small-medium sized town in Alabama (and I'm going back to 2010 when I first moved here).

Old 09-16-2019, 07:03 AM

170 posts, read 140,315 times
Well, my rental house on Old Railroad Bed is worth $20K more than when we bought it in 2007, according to Zillow, but the house we had built in Laurenwood Preserve is worth $20K less than we paid for it.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:01 AM

764 posts, read 1,109,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
Well, my rental house on Old Railroad Bed is worth $20K more than when we bought it in 2007, according to Zillow, but the house we had built in Laurenwood Preserve is worth $20K less than we paid for it.
The issue with Laurenwood Preserve is that it's zoned for poorly rated schools of the Huntsville City Schools - Providence Elementary and Columbia. If you looked at nearby houses in the unincorporated county which are zoned for Sparkman High School, you wouldn't see a drop in value.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:36 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
The issue with Laurenwood Preserve is that it's zoned for poorly rated schools of the Huntsville City Schools - Providence Elementary and Columbia. If you looked at nearby houses in the unincorporated county which are zoned for Sparkman High School, you wouldn't see a drop in value.
Upper end neighborhoods, like Lake Forest, are in some poorer Huntsville schools (Williams, Providence, and Columbia I think) but their housing values are high. Imagine what they'd be if the neighborhood was in Madison instead of Huntsville.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:43 PM

8 posts, read 9,629 times
I wonder if that is because people living in places like that can simply send their kids to private schools. I have seen that in historic / downtown areas, as well as other convenient and pretty areas (to build on) that only the very wealthy live there and it's because they don't worry about the crappy schools. It was like that in Montgomery, AL when I was there--you wouldn't want to send your kids to any of the schools the historic areas were zoned for, but the houses were old money.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:45 AM

283 posts, read 375,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsv256 View Post
Just out of curiosity... what would qualify North Huntsville as a "bad area?"
Old perceptions about demographics combined with crime statistics and general hearsay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area