Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 06:43 PM

463 posts, read 1,291,911 times

Advertisements

I am also looking at moving to huntsville. I am in the aerospace business and have put in for a tranfser on a few jobs with my company.
I was just in HSV a week ago for training and I Really liked the area. It's great reading all of the positive reviews of the area. I think we would definitely consider moving there if I get a job offer.
For what it's worth, the short time I was there I found people to be very nice, friendly and helpful.
I also enjoyed my walk around the downtown area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 07:52 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn68 View Post
I am also looking at moving to huntsville. I am in the aerospace business and have put in for a tranfser on a few jobs with my company.
I was just in HSV a week ago for training and I Really liked the area. It's great reading all of the positive reviews of the area. I think we would definitely consider moving there if I get a job offer.
For what it's worth, the short time I was there I found people to be very nice, friendly and helpful.
I also enjoyed my walk around the downtown area.
Your profile isn't populated but if you wouldn't mind sharing:

Married? Kids? Ages?
Looking to buy? Rent? Budget or price range?

Huntsville is a great place for aerospace types (at least it is now).

Keep working the City-Data forum, it is a great resource. Lots of inquiries similar to yours.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:23 PM

19 posts, read 94,112 times
Lebanese... YUMMM! We have Lebanese friends and they are terrific hosts. Both cook and they do a tremendous job with the Middle East standards like kabobs and hummus bi tahini. So far if we want the spectacular flat bread they make, we have to order it on line from the Detroit area.

I grew up in a Boston Irish Catholic area with my eight brothers and was totally unprepared for foreign cuisine. Then I met my dear hubby and the two of us made it a hobby to "try new things". Lebanese food is one of the high points....

Old 09-09-2008, 04:00 AM

Our city likes to play - al.com

http://kaboom.org/Advocate/PlayfulCi...6/Default.aspx

Old 09-10-2008, 07:28 PM

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2008/09/...h_on_best.html

2008 Best Performing Cities - 200 Largest Metros

Old 09-10-2008, 08:23 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,286,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I too hate the stigma behind Alabama, but remember that this comes from ignorant people. Most likely people who have never been to Alabama, but choose to be so "progressive" and "open-minded" by believing stereotypes and whatever they see on tv. I get this whenever I visit KY, TN, AR, AL, MS, wherever. "Why would you go THERE?" I counter with "Well, have you ever been?" 9 times out of 10, the answer is "no." Just blow them off. Who cares? Let them stay in their polluted, congested, crime infested cesspools of "educated" and "sophisticated" living. You know better.

Shhhhhhh!!!!!! Best kept secret!

Old 09-13-2008, 09:43 AM

964 posts, read 2,647,221 times
For those of you all considering a move to Huntsville, this is what I have to say. My DH and my four young children moved here about two months ago. We lived in a neighborhood which consisted of 2.5 acre lots and was up at 7200 feet so it was very cold and windy for many months at a time. I had a more difficult time adjusting to the weather than I thought! Also, because the homes were so spread out, there were no other children close by, as in walking distance, for my children to play with and that was very difficult to cope with, especially given the fact that was so cold much of the time which ruled out going to the park to play. We moved to this type of neighborhood because we thought it would be a nice change from our experiences growing up in CA where most homes were built on very small lots. Boy, were we wrong!! Living in this type of community may be for some folks, but I clearly realized that it was not for me or my family. My children are very active and they clearly were frustrated by the lack of opportunity for outdoor play and proximity of other children. Also, I found many of the families in this particular neighborhood to be quite insular. No one could understand why in earth we would want to leave this neighborhood much less move to the South, you know where there are hoodlums parading around in white robes!! Our neighbors thought we had surely lost our marbles when we mentioned that we might be relocating to Alabama! I personally found that developing close friendships was quite difficult due to the isolative nature of this particular area, and we had the additional misfortune of crossing paths with some very bizarre individuals, some very narrow minded, judgmental people who clearly did not understand the importance of living in a “community.” So when my husband was offered a relo. opportunity in Huntsville we decided it was time to take the plunge and move. So here is what I have to say about Huntsville for those of you who want to know what it is really like. It may not be the most glamorous city, but for our family it has been spectacular so far. We found a wonderful neighborhood in Hampton Cove. There are 17 children on our street all under the age of ten!! Our kids are delirious with joy. They are lovin’ here!! They have more friends than they know what to do with. It is just awesome seeing them play on their bikes and scooters with the other kids. I enjoy seeing the smiling faces coming and going in and out of the house, as well as the other great parents I have met. People so far have embraced us and have been beyond friendly. I have made more genuine friends in the two months I have lived here than the two years where I lived previously. There must be something to that “Southern Hospitality” because I have encountered so many amazing individuals. Everyone has been so welcoming and truly kindhearted. So, for our family, the move to Huntsville has been one of the best decisions we’ve made. It may not be for everybody, for us it has been a really great experience so far.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:36 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
That is great Proudmommy.. I am so glad you and your family are happy with your new home here.

It makes all the difference in the world when your kids can play in their neighborhood. That is something to remember as we often don't think about our kids not having friends to play with everyday.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:21 AM

73 posts, read 254,663 times
I am reading all the blogs about Huntsville which actually I think our family would like it. We are a military family and retiring and moving to either SC or here, we currently rent out our home in Daphne, AL that being said, our son went to school in Daphne but a private faith based school with that being said he was extremely advanced in reading here in NC but way behind in Math, however he caught up fast and is in the gifted/academically advanced program now. My only concern is: will he be ahead of his peers in school alot or not. I actually am not a fan of the AIG program, I think there are better ways to identify with advanced kids b/c most are not gifted like einstein. I also think b/c I sit with him and check his homework that makes a difference. Does anyone know anything about the schools there he would be going into 5th grade next year. It definitely sounds like Huntsville is a BIG contenter for us to consider, sounds like what I would want to consider home.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhalpin View Post
I am reading all the blogs about Huntsville which actually I think our family would like it.

We are a military family and retiring and moving to either SC or here, we currently rent out our home in Daphne, AL that being said, our son went to school in Daphne but a private faith based school....

he was extremely advanced in reading

My only concern is: will he be ahead of his peers in school alot or not.

Does anyone know anything about the schools there he would be going into 5th grade next year.
What school will he be attending for fifth grade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area