Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 11:28 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,235,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I've lived in this area for a long time, and don't recall going to Ditto Landing. I suppose if you like fishing and boating, it's OK but I don't think would be an entertainment destination.
was sort of thinking the same. i grew up in southeast huntsville right off bailey cove, and i don't know that we ever went there either. of course, we didn't have a boat and didn't fish, so that's probably why. i think if a rail link is established, it would need to become a destination with more diverse offerings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 04:24 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,594,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel104 View Post
Speaking of Ditto Landing whatever happened to the improvements proposed in 2015? A Ditto Landing restaurant has been talked about for decades and decades and has never come to fruition. https://bigpicturehuntsville.com/wp-...rrative_sm.pdf

Also, I'd love to see the Haysland Square eyesore gone - I think just about all that is left there is a Staples and a pet store there. I know the Hayslands are supposed to develop this area; however have not heard much about that lately.

Agree with others about the VBC not being sizeable to supporting major acts. That's been a Huntsville issue for decades. We have to go to Birmingham, Nashville, or Atlanta for most major shows (at a minimum).

I'd love to see cheaper air carriers, like Southwest come to HSV.

I agree with the golfing comments, I hated when the City closed muni.

I wish we had an Ethiopian restaurant. The closest ones used to be in Nashville - now Birmingham has at least one.

I agree about IKEA, too. I read that there is an organization/company that makes regular "IKEA runs" between HSV and ATL.

I'd also love love to see our courthouse downtown razed and replaced with something less unattractive.
Ditto Landing's Master Plan only started Phase I a year ago. If there was any progress since then we have heard something about it.

With all the new hotels going up around the VBC I am sure that when current expansion plans are completed they will again revisit any future expansions including the arena. Studies might show that Huntsville metro area might not be big enough to support a larger arena. The saying "If you build it and they will come" is not a good strategy when you are gambling with taxpayer dollars when there might a low probability of success.

Other than the US Space and Rocket Center and Space Camp there is not much else to draw large numbers of people to visit Huntsville. If more attractions were developed then that might change. Right now most airline business is business related. If enough non-business traffic came to Huntsville then it might attract airlines like Southwest

Old 07-10-2020, 07:29 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,583,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
Ditto Landing's Master Plan only started Phase I a year ago. If there was any progress since then we have heard something about it.

With all the new hotels going up around the VBC I am sure that when current expansion plans are completed they will again revisit any future expansions including the arena. Studies might show that Huntsville metro area might not be big enough to support a larger arena. The saying "If you build it and they will come" is not a good strategy when you are gambling with taxpayer dollars when there might a low probability of success.

Other than the US Space and Rocket Center and Space Camp there is not much else to draw large numbers of people to visit Huntsville. If more attractions were developed then that might change. Right now most airline business is business related. If enough non-business traffic came to Huntsville then it might attract airlines like Southwest
FYI pre Covid 19

According to the 2019 economic impact report recently released by the Alabama Tourism Department, the Huntsville and Madison County area achieved the state’s highest percentage increase in travel and tourism revenue over the past year, reaching $1.62 billion in sales.

The area also secured the number two spot in county visitation rankings, bringing in roughly 3.7 million visitors.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:23 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,098,215 times
Dreams... if I win the Powerball..

Indoor volleyball complex along 565 - Limestone County.

5 indoor courts

at least 5 sand courts

bar/canteen - serving beers, wings, sandwiches.. maybe pizza, yeah, pizza.

Dreams....

Old 07-13-2020, 10:12 AM

6 posts, read 5,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinb View Post
I think this would work more as a tourist and recreational attraction rather than for commuting. And it wouldn't have to be a full train. A 1-2 car tram running a handful of times a day would probably be sufficient. Imagine a nice, sunny afternoon. You could grab dinner and a drink in downtown then take a leisurely ride down to Ditto for the sunset. Or the reverse, after a day on the water in your boat ride up to downtown for dinner without having to load up and tow the boat with you.

Its fun to dream about right?
I believe when I moved to Huntsville in 1987 you could ride a train to Ditto Landing on Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately we never took advantage of the opportunity and it was soon stopped.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:27 PM

483 posts, read 630,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F382 View Post
Some thoughts:

- Outlet mall. We have to drive to Nashville / Birmingham / Sevierville. I agree Huntsville doesn’t need another shopping mall but do believe we have thrifty brains who love deals but also have money. Put it off 565 near county line and airport. Quickly reachable from I-65 but primarily supported by locals and those traveling in for business or sports tournaments. May help Town Madison and boost other local tourism.

- Winery with bed and breakfast. Once again, we drive to Nashville when we have great scenery right here.

- Spanish Tapas restaurant
This. And a Trader Joe's and that would be perfect.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:46 PM

170 posts, read 140,429 times
What I really want is a Godfather's Pizza, or someone else who makes a good deep-dish pizza like that.

Also I'd like to see Capshaw made into a new Hwy 72 to unload 72 for E-W traffic.

Old 07-25-2020, 01:28 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,594,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
What I really want is a Godfather's Pizza, or someone else who makes a good deep-dish pizza like that.
I am not certain but I think I remember there was a Godfathers Pizza in Huntsville maybe back in the 80's or 90's. Somewhere I read that it may have been located in Haysland Square.

You are right about a good deep-dish pizza. Is it just nostalgia or don't they make pizzas as good as they used to?

Old 07-25-2020, 06:10 AM

956 posts, read 745,254 times
I'm pretty sure that the residents of Monte Sano would not want to see a hotel up near the park.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:04 AM

295 posts, read 236,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
I am not certain but I think I remember there was a Godfathers Pizza in Huntsville maybe back in the 80's or 90's. Somewhere I read that it may have been located in Haysland Square.

You are right about a good deep-dish pizza. Is it just nostalgia or don't they make pizzas as good as they used to?
The Godfather's I went to was on University Drive, in the shopping center on the corner of Sparkman and University. I agree, it was my favorite, and I haven't found any like them these days. I understand there is still one in Florence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area