Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 10:54 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglover View Post
Yeah--it was quite an adventure for sure. Not my fav' part of living here--but natives don't like it either? Why is it in a grocery store????
No, I hate it when I have to go over there. It is in there just to be more convenient to Madison and the area over here. I will go to the courthouse most of the time since my office is out that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 11:05 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilrmkr View Post
It's in the grocery store?
The main office is usually in the courthouse, but many tag offices also offer registration through a satellite office in other parts of the county. For instance, Morgan County's main office in the courthouse is in Decatur, but there are satellite offices in Hartselle and, I believe, Morgan City. The offices could be in a strip mall, but hey, it's in the country, so it might be in a grocery store.
Quote:
In Illinois you wanted to avoid the DMV like the plague but at least once you stood in line for the licence you just went down to the next counter and got registration.
In Savannah you got the DL in one building and it was very organized and set up very well. The registration was in another building and the line went quick and it was an easy process. I was very impressed by their system.
Since 9/11, the state and feds have added all kinds of things to do and have to get a driver's license. Be sure to check with the office before you go to see what you have to bring (birth certif., proof of address, social security card, etc. etc.). Bring whatever they ask for and be prepared to wait a l-o-n-g time. Sometimes it's not so bad a wait at the satellite offices because there are fewer people.

Quote:
One thing I found confusing about getting tags renewed is that the expiration date went by the birthday of the first person on the tag. In Illinois your tags expired at the end of the month you registered the car the previous year. If you registered in May your tags expired at the end of May. In Sav. one car's tags expired 2/25 and the other 5/21. It wouldn't be so bad if they just expired at the end of the month. How is it done here?
Renewal date depends on the letter of your last name. Good thing - all your vehicles renew at the same time. Bad thing - all your vehicle$ renew at the $ame time.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:59 AM

216 posts, read 580,587 times
Default Driver's Licenses

Here's a tip for driver licenses....go to Athens and get it, I have heard it takes much less time and goes much smoother. Probably worth the extra 10-15 minutes to get there.

FYI, you have to take your old driver's license and social security card, or at least that is how it was when I got my AL license.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:04 PM

216 posts, read 580,587 times
Default South vs Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc45002 View Post
Spent today primarily in Limestone County although we saw Jeff Benton Communities in Legacy Cove, Cross Creek, and Renaissance. Limestone Conunty is way out there although we loved a house in Canebreak on the golf course. Loved Jeff Benton homes. Really disappointed in Legacy Cove as there are no homesites still available backing to Wheeler and they aren't going to open any more until next year. Our decision (now) is on Cross Creek versus Renaissance. We are leaning towards Renaissance even though it is more expensive. In 18 years of visiting Huntsville on business I have always been in Research Park/Wynn Drive area; never going to Memorial Drive except for one baseball game. Now, I am trying to determine if South Huntsville is the place for us. Can anyone is familiar with Madison versus SE Huntsville, I would appreciate any advice. My primary work will be Redstone but I will also spend a lot of time in Research Park. However, I am more interested in the day to day living in both locations. We have no kids (I am allergic to them) and enjoy shopping and dining.

thanks,

Marc
Both areas are phenominal, it really depends on the type of house you are looking for. There are some beautiful homes in both areas, but if you tend to like newer homes, you will like Madison better. SE homes are usually older, the youngest being built in the late 80's. Both are about the same proximity to Research Park, although I can tell you South Memorial in the morning and afternoon can get hairy! Schools are excellent in both areas. If you like curb and gutter neighborhoods with amenities such as pools, clubhouses, tennis, ect. then you will probably find Madison more to your liking. I would suggest looking in both areas at the available homes, as both have a lot to offer.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:32 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,585,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonmamma View Post
Here's a tip for driver licenses....go to Athens and get it, I have heard it takes much less time and goes much smoother. Probably worth the extra 10-15 minutes to get there.

FYI, you have to take your old driver's license and social security card, or at least that is how it was when I got my AL license.
You need three pieces of ID:

1-old DL from out of state
2-US birth certificate or US Passport
3-Social Security Card or W2 tax card, or military ID of some kind

That's for DL. Also, no checks allowed. Just credit/debit card or cash. Cost is $28 for the DL and vision test.

For the registration:

title
checks only
and if BOTH names are separated by the word "and" instead of "or" in the title, BOTH of the owners must be present.
for first time, vehicle inspection, must have car on property. They only look at the VIN (TG no more personal property tax on the vehicles--but it is super expensive in state taxes--only a one time deal).

We paid over $300 to register both cars, both of which were approximately 5 years old. We got personalized license plates (they are 50 a piece) and my husband got a "safe kids" plate as well. We have our temporary plates (paper)hanging in the window till the real mccoy get here.

The courthouse is capable of doing both DL and Registration, but there is difficulty finding parking there. A real problem. I parked downhill at a meter. I would have had to bring it up to the top of the hill, after going up it once to the office--leave and go down, get the vehicle and then go back up again--for the VIN inspection.

Since that would have been pointless as I couldn't register without my mate standing there with me (we have "and" instead of "or" on the titles for both cars), that would have been a bigger waste of my time.

You have to go to a STATE office to get your first DL here if it is from out of state.

The PX on the redstone arsenal will do it as well, but only on certain days.

HUGE PAIN.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:43 PM

122 posts, read 354,224 times
Quote:
Both are about the same proximity to Research Park
I have seen this on here a couple of times and I really don't understand it. It completely depends on where in Madison you live. I live in Madison and I can WALK to Research Park. It is literally less than half a mile from my house. East Madison (Slaughter Road / Eastview area) has super easy access to research park. My wife works in CRP and she notices every little construction change on 72 when we drive it because she doesn't hit it but once every couple of weeks.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:46 PM

296 posts, read 693,881 times
Went to Jeff Benton Homes in Summerfield today. Nice community and much cheaper than Renaissance in South Huntsville. Ended up writing a contract. Choose options tomorrow then home to Tokyo; it has been quite a week.

Thanks for all the information from the folks here; this is a wonderful site.

Marc

Old 08-15-2008, 05:00 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Quote:

I think you have to go to whichever county you reside in.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:50 AM

142 posts, read 675,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
I think you have to go to whichever county you reside in.

No, you are not restricted by county.

I moved to Madison County from out of state and went to Athens to get my license.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:15 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,585,805 times
I wish I'd gone to Athens--so nice by the courthouse--went there for lunch today and it was wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area