Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 11:37 AM

471 posts, read 404,544 times

Advertisements

Looking at this site:

It seems disconnected from what my wife and I found when visiting Huntsville. I suppose like all major cities, crime rates depend on where in and around Huntsville you live, not just the city proper.

For example, Madison has below average crime and we liked it, but it is just too crowded for us and the lots are mostly too small.

We were interested, but disappointed to learn Decatur had a big crime problem. We are now considering areas south of Birmingham, but would rather settle somewhere near Huntsville, where crime is low, with at least a couple acres and more privacy.

Can anyone who lives in the Huntsville area give us an idea of where the crime is lowest in and around Huntsville, and the areas to avoid? Many thanks!

Last edited by Yac; 11-12-2020 at 04:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 03:44 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
South of the Tennessee River for one. Just about anywhere in Madison. It's probably OK north of Huntsville in Meridianville/Hazel Green as well. It's highest in NW Huntsville, so that's an area to avoid.

Low crime usually correlates well with income - Madison income is high so crime is low. Same for SE Huntsville. Income is lower in NW Huntsville so crime is higher. Practically anywhere in Madison County except NW Huntsville is good for the fairly large population.

There's a town south of Decatur, but still in the area, called Hartselle that had its first murder in something like 20 years just a couple months ago, and it was a targeted, domestic issue as I recall. Cullman is about halfway to B'ham and has very little crime.

Overall, Huntsville isn't all that bad. Pretty sure it's much safer (murder) than the other 3 large cities in the state.

Old 11-08-2020, 05:38 PM

653 posts, read 587,710 times
Hartselle, Cullman, Arab, Albertville, Guntersville, Athens.
Sorry, I didn't cross reference the site.

Old 11-08-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpc123 View Post
Looking at this site:

It seems disconnected from what my wife and I found when visiting Huntsville. I suppose like all major cities, crime rates depend on where in and around Huntsville you live, not just the city proper.

For example, Madison has below average crime and we liked it, but it is just too crowded for us and the lots are mostly too small.

We were interested, but disappointed to learn Decatur had a big crime problem. We are now considering areas south of Birmingham, but would rather settle somewhere near Huntsville, where crime is low, with at least a couple acres and more privacy.

Can anyone who lives in the Huntsville area give us an idea of where the crime is lowest in and around Huntsville, and the areas to avoid? Many thanks!
I just clicked on the link you provided. I'm not sure where they got their data, but it's totally wrong. Huntsville is frequently listed as one of the top ten, and sometimes THE top city to live in in the country. I've lived here most of my life, and it's a great place to live and I've never worried about my personal safety. Sure, there are areas of the city you'd want to avoid, but overall it's very safe, very livable, and is a bargain for income vs expenses.

Try this one: https://www.waff.com/2019/09/23/hunt...place-live-us/

Last edited by Yac; 11-12-2020 at 04:21 AM..

Old 11-09-2020, 07:11 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,123,159 times
As mentioned in an earlier post. Most small, rural towns outside of Huntsville are pretty safe. There are a lot of areas of Huntsville that are mostly safe. Not quite what it was when I moved here back in the 70s but compared to elsewhere, quite safe. Personally, I feel a lot safer up here than I do when I'm closer to B'ham. I lived just outside of Hartselle for yrs and it was very safe (I was quite rural) and raised my kids in the small town of Arab, just south of Huntsville and that was probably the closest to "Mayberry" that I'd ever been. None of us would think anything of walking down the street at any hour of the day or night. Huntsville itself is surrounded by some nice smaller towns and a lot of rural property.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:38 AM

653 posts, read 587,710 times
The sense of safety is relative to what you are used to living with in your life.
In comparison to where I grew up; Huntsville is Mayberry.

There are not daily homicides.
There are not weekly car jackings.
Drugs are not flowing through the area like the water down the Tennessee.
There are not neighborhoods you don't go into because you're not from that neighborhood.
The east side of Huntsville is not run by one family while the west side is run by another and who is in a war with gangs trying to muscle their way in.

Sounds like your retired or about to retire. If that is the case then I suggest picking a spot, renting a house for a year, and get to know the area and surrounding areas. If you like then plant your roots else move on and repeat.

Good luck.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:14 AM

Thanks all for this helpful advice. We are planning another extended trip to Huntsville. The COVID thing put a damper on things. Here's to hoping the good vaccine news today makes this ordeal end soon.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpc123 View Post
Thanks all for this helpful advice. We are planning another extended trip to Huntsville. The COVID thing put a damper on things. Here's to hoping the good vaccine news today makes this ordeal end soon.
Yes, here's hoping it's real and effective.

One thing that's not been mentioned benefits for retired military, if it's of interest to you. Redstone Arsenal has a nice PX, a large commissary, and just about every other perque you can think of. Many active duty military personnel have chosen to remain here in retirement.

Old 11-09-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Yes, here's hoping it's real and effective.

One thing that's not been mentioned benefits for retired military, if it's of interest to you. Redstone Arsenal has a nice PX, a large commissary, and just about every other perque you can think of. Many active duty military personnel have chosen to remain here in retirement.

Yeah, my wife and I are both retired military. We checked out Redstone - nice.

We also liked having a Costco in town.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:15 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,793,470 times
Is on-base housing still available for rent on Redstone Arsenal? Talk about safe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area