Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 01:48 PM

262 posts, read 793,527 times

Advertisements

They do fly-overs into Limestone Co for practice. DH could tell you specifically, but I choose to not listen to military talk...LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 07:49 PM

10 posts, read 46,873 times
As for the Airport noise, when I am looking around County Line Road, it is not too bad since the planes are still pretty high until they get further south down County Line, where there are no developments. Its a faint noise, that you may not even be able to hear from inside the house.

On a related note, has anyone heard about the airport's expansion? This would put a third runway to the West of the Airport's 2 current runways and now will put Heritage Plantation directly under the flight path, where now they are at least off to the East a little.

The link below is from the Airport's website.

HMCAA Maps

Old 05-08-2008, 08:05 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven12 View Post
On a related note, has anyone heard about the airport's expansion? This would put a third runway to the West of the Airport's 2 current runways and now will put Heritage Plantation directly under the flight path, where now they are at least off to the East a little.

The link below is from the Airport's website.

HMCAA Maps
This is exactly the kind of post I am looking for.

Thanks

Old 05-08-2008, 08:52 PM

262 posts, read 793,527 times
Thanks for clarifying what type of post you required to answer your thread ;-)

Old 05-08-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flstatenolefan View Post
Thanks for clarifying what type of post you required to answer your thread ;-)
I hadn't heard about the new runway.

Alabama Trivia: Alabama is the only state with all major natural resources needed to make iron and steel.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:36 AM

602 posts, read 1,962,024 times
You asked about the consequences of the election, as concerned Huntsville: It has been my experience--and I'm NOT trying to get into an ugly political debate here--that a Democratic win would put the kibosh on a lot of the boom in Huntsville. (I said it's been my experience; note that I'm not claiming objectivity or last-word status here.) Just from what the Democratic rivals have stated (desire to end the war in Iraq, despite advice from generals who've been over there), a lot of the support people would probably lose jobs. I don't know what MSFC would face in case of either a Dem or GOP win, and I could be wrong. Shoot, Obama has expressed a willingness to attack Pakistan, so we could be back at war again, only a little further east. I need to research Hill and O's positions on missile defense to be sure, but I get the impression they're not exactly big proponents, which might make it harder for a lot of defense contractors in Huntsville.

Note also that even considering the vast number of defense contractor employers in the HSV area, there are plenty of liberals among them. This has never made sense to me, but whatever.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChild View Post
You asked about the consequences of the election, as concerned Huntsville: It has been my experience--and I'm NOT trying to get into an ugly political debate here--that a Democratic win would put the kibosh on a lot of the boom in Huntsville. (I said it's been my experience; note that I'm not claiming objectivity or last-word status here.) Just from what the Democratic rivals have stated (desire to end the war in Iraq, despite advice from generals who've been over there), a lot of the support people would probably lose jobs. I don't know what MSFC would face in case of either a Dem or GOP win, and I could be wrong. Shoot, Obama has expressed a willingness to attack Pakistan, so we could be back at war again, only a little further east. I need to research Hill and O's positions on missile defense to be sure, but I get the impression they're not exactly big proponents, which might make it harder for a lot of defense contractors in Huntsville.

Note also that even considering the vast number of defense contractor employers in the HSV area, there are plenty of liberals among them. This has never made sense to me, but whatever.
I get the same impressions. Something like missile defense is so spread out and embedded in Congress that a president would have a big fight to make major changes. Who knows? I saw a YouTube video with Obama indicating reluctance against what I am assuming FCS and BMDS, though he didn't spell it out.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:17 AM

168 posts, read 559,695 times
I am employed in the defense industry and I don't have career concerns from any of the candidates. I think that the old assumptions have become very dated. We are entering new exciting times, any way the elections go. I am excited about the future, either way. Engineers will have the opportunity to provide our Country with better forms of defense and energy independence. It's a great time to be an engineer, IMO!

I will add that the flight paths have changed a bit over the past 7 years. We live in Five Points and we can hear planes approaching the airport. It was not as pronounced 7 years ago as it is now. The terrorist attack on NYC may have changed the flight paths, but I am not for sure.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamoore View Post
I am excited about the future, either way. Engineers will have the opportunity to provide our Country with better forms of defense and energy independence. It's a great time to be an engineer, IMO!
Me too. I am 46. I keep reading about demographics in engineering, lots of guys 55 and up. In ten years, they are retired. Was the opposite for my dad. He got slammed in the aerospace layoffs of the early 1970s.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:04 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
'Would new Lee take pressure off Huntsville High School?'
Probably not, some areas of FivePoints or Old Town could be rezoned, but IMO expect the residents to fight it.

The City places a high priority on keeping schools maintained / clean, but Lee is outdated and moldy. I don't think zones will be affected (but note that the City is conducting a review of school utilization). Yes, new and improved Lee will replace old Lee and will be built on Meridian, across the railroad tracks from the current school; a new walkway over the tracks will be constructed so the Ball Fields will still be used. I'm not sure what the plan's are for the old building. Also note that the school will be paid for by the Tax Increment Financing (TIF) applied to the Harris Hills development (new development taxes applied to specific purpose).

Airplane noise? Yes, it's loud IMO. The airport limits hours of operation. IMO people should consider the airport when buying and not complain. The military practices touch and go landings sometimes. Plus, when the helicopters get here (BRAC) we'll have lots of choppers flying around. Just like people in SE HSV shouldn't complain about the explosions - it is an 'Arsenal' for goodness sakes.

Sports apparel = Alabama or Auburn.

Refrigerators are usually not included.

Stars rival? IMO the Biscuits or Lookouts.

Wind: mostly from SW to NE (warm and wet Gulf air). NW to SE in Winter (cold Canada air).

Trees: dogwoods, oaks, maples, redbuds. Read Southern Living for varieties. Note that Bradford Pears have recently been classified as an invasive species, plus they break easily (fast growth = bad tree).

IMO Obama or Clinton would be bad for HSV (Obama worse); both of them would cut military R&D and procurement, neither of them support missile defense, Obama doesn't support NASA.

For example, Bill Clinton froze and cut a lot of programs that affected HSV during his term. Times were tough here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area