Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 07:41 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven12 View Post
Also, I did not see a lot of little kids in CC or HL, unlike HP where I see a lot of kids out during the day. Although, my oldest is 3, so I am looking for lots of kids in this range.

Hampton Cove is nice and offers a lot of options, but feels secluded from the rest of HSV (which you may like), but it did not work for us. I think it is going to get crowded everywhere, so HP should not be singled out for this issue. Good luck!
Couple of go backs...Why do you think there were more kids running around in HP vs CC or HL? Is it possible you looked at different times of the day (in school versus not in school)? Or, was there something about HP that was more inviting to families with kids? Where the neighborhoods you compared similar in price range, size, # of bedrooms, etc... I know this is a detailed question but your information is very important to me.

Also, What was it (other than the distance) about HC that was a turn off. Please be as detailed as possible. Did anything not "feel" right? What was it that didn't work for you? One thing that supports your comment is HC's distance from Huntsville High School, 12 miles. Did it seem there was a lack of shopping and amenities close by? Did it seem that there would be too many trips over Four Mile Post Road or down 431 in order to get to a lot of conveniences? I noticed some shopping (Publix, Lowes, Walmart) near the Sutton/431 intersection. I think there are a few small shops too. Did it seem that this was insufficient?

I am very interested in your views on this.

Your oldest is three but in a year or two he'll be playing soccer, taking swimming lessons, going to pre-school. It would be very convenient if these things were say less than ten minutes away. Thirty minutes could be a hassle if such a trip was made once or twice a day.

(I didn't check) but where did you end up moving to? Why?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 08:26 PM

10 posts, read 46,879 times
Charles - forgive me, since I am still learning how to post, so I'll try to answer the questions as well as possible.

As for the kids, I drove through the neighborhoods at similar times during the week and even weekends. For some reason, I just saw more kids and families out in Heritage Plantation, compared with Clifts Cove and Highland Lakes. I will say there are many other neighborhoods with a lot of kids, but I only limited my comments to these 3, based on the original posting's question. As for price range, I have been in just about every newer subdivision around Huntsville, from ones with homes <$200K up to the $1M mansions in Clifts Cove, from Hampton Cove out to Athens and from Madison City out to New Market.

On Hampton Cove, the biggest issue was the trips over the mountain and for a wife who will be staying at home with two little boys, this was a concern. I loved the scenic views, but again it just felt isolated. It was on the top of my list for a while, but it just did not make my wife comfortable knowing she would have to drive over the mountain any time to go to Target, the Mall, or Bridge Street. The prices also seemed to be a little higher, compared to some of the other areas. I have friends out there and they love it, and have been there for years.

The basic amenities all seem to be around HC and I am sure this will grow with time, plus right over 431 is the Huntsville Hospital. Another reason I did not choose HC is that I'll be working in Research Park and was hoping to stay within 20 min. We want to build a house. To build a new house in HC, you will be further out and when ever I timed the trip, like to Jeff Benton's Cobblestone Cove, it was around 30 min (without traffic). So, with these seemingly minor negatives, I have focused the search in West Madison County and even a few places in East Limestone.

As for the kids, yes we want the soccer and stuff to be close, but figured this type of stuff would be close to anywhere we choose. I have been more focussed on finding a neighborhood with the majority of kids in their age range, to give them something in common with kids close by.

Yeah, six months into this and you would have thought we had a place. However, we are still looking. Our house is still on the market, so we still have some time. I have somewhat locked in on Heritage Plantation and Walden Preserve (off Balch Road - Woodland Homes). Now, I am trying to see if there is anything comparable to these neighborhoods, but less expensive. I also like Mt. Carmel (Mark Harris), but this seems a little too far away from shopping, work, and church...although the new Harris Hills sounds promising.

I hope this all helps and if I can be any more specific about certain items, please let me know.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Charles - forgive me, since I am still learning how to post, so I'll try to answer the questions as well as possible.

As for the kids, I drove through the neighborhoods at similar times during the week and even weekends. For some reason, I just saw more kids and families out in Heritage Plantation, compared with Clifts Cove and Highland Lakes. I will say there are many other neighborhoods with a lot of kids, but I only limited my comments to these 3, based on the original posting's question. As for price range, I have been in just about every newer subdivision around Huntsville, from ones with homes <$200K up to the $1M mansions in Clifts Cove, from Hampton Cove out to Athens and from Madison City out to New Market.

On Hampton Cove, the biggest issue was the trips over the mountain and for a wife who will be staying at home with two little boys, this was a concern. I loved the scenic views, but again it just felt isolated. It was on the top of my list for a while, but it just did not make my wife comfortable knowing she would have to drive over the mountain any time to go to Target, the Mall, or Bridge Street. The prices also seemed to be a little higher, compared to some of the other areas. I have friends out there and they love it, and have been there for years.

The basic amenities all seem to be around HC and I am sure this will grow with time, plus right over 431 is the Huntsville Hospital. Another reason I did not choose HC is that I'll be working in Research Park and was hoping to stay within 20 min. We want to build a house. To build a new house in HC, you will be further out and when ever I timed the trip, like to Jeff Benton's Cobblestone Cove, it was around 30 min (without traffic). So, with these seemingly minor negatives, I have focused the search in West Madison County and even a few places in East Limestone.

As for the kids, yes we want the soccer and stuff to be close, but figured this type of stuff would be close to anywhere we choose. I have been more focussed on finding a neighborhood with the majority of kids in their age range, to give them something in common with kids close by.

Yeah, six months into this and you would have thought we had a place. However, we are still looking. Our house is still on the market, so we still have some time. I have somewhat locked in on Heritage Plantation and Walden Preserve (off Balch Road - Woodland Homes). Now, I am trying to see if there is anything comparable to these neighborhoods, but less expensive. I also like Mt. Carmel (Mark Harris), but this seems a little too far away from shopping, work, and church...although the new Harris Hills sounds promising.

I hope this all helps and if I can be any more specific about certain items, please let me know.
Extremely helpful...thank you....Let me digest this.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:03 AM

142 posts, read 675,389 times
It seems that most everyone is against looking in the Madison County School System areas of town, but we moved in 2 years ago and have been very happy with Monrovia.

Just up Jeff\Slaughter Rd, "around the corner" from Village of Providence, Target, very close to Research Park, Bridge Street, etc.

And you can get to most any area of town in 30 minutes, whether it's the airport on the west side, Parkway Place mall downtown, or Rave theater in Jones Valley.

I have kids in Monrovia Elementary, Monrovia Middle, and Sparkman High.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeastern View Post
It seems that most everyone is against looking in the Madison County School System areas of town,

Your post will prompt me to check out those places. How far north up Jeff, what general cross streets?

When I stayed at the Homewood Suites at Providence I'd go running north from there past a roundabout and maybe a mile north (Indian Creek road), then cut west through a nice neighborhood for about another mile then south and then east again.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:28 AM

21 posts, read 91,467 times
A sugestion. Go to the neighborhoods in question and then knock on doors ans ask people what they think. This way, instead, you will actually talk and meet and greet the potential neighbors. Not to be nosey or give advice but real answers are with real people, not message boards. HC and many neighborhoods do not allow basketball hoops in the front that is so child unfriendly. We will pray that you make the right decision.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingtall4sure View Post
A sugestion. Go to the neighborhoods in question and then knock on doors ans ask people what they think. This way, instead, you will actually talk and meet and greet the potential neighbors. Not to be nosey or give advice but real answers are with real people, not message boards. HC and many neighborhoods do not allow basketball hoops in the front that is so child unfriendly. We will pray that you make the right decision.
Yes, We plan on literally knocking on doors and asking if kids live in the houses on the street. If there aren't a lot of kids, we're not moving there.

I downloaded the Hampton Cove covenants and read them weeks ago. I didn't see and limitations on basketball hoops. I just opened them up again and searched for "basket". Again, I didn't find anything restricting basketball hoops. I just now called the HOA and they explained to me that there are some restrictions on basketball hoops in the patio homes. However, the portable hoops are allowed just about everywhere.

Hampton Cove Owners' Association - Home

Old 05-12-2008, 01:51 PM

10 posts, read 46,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
When I stayed at the Homewood Suites at Providence I'd go running north from there past a roundabout and maybe a mile north (Indian Creek road), then cut west through a nice neighborhood for about another mile then south and then east again.
How often do you come into HSV? I go about every other week and stay at the Homewood as well....I wish I could say I go running as well, but I can't seem to get myself motivated.

Also, regarding a separate post, I have focused on both Madison City and County locations and hear good and bad things about both school systems. My preference has always been a County subdivision, but just have not found the right one.

However, I keep telling myself, that almost anywhere in the Huntsville area would be just fine....I have just opted to take the time (and stress) to find the perfect location...

Old 05-12-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Also, regarding a separate post, I have focused on both Madison City and County locations and hear good and bad things about both school systems. My preference has always been a County subdivision, but just have not found the right one.
I've traveled to HSV in the past two years maybe every three or four months. As soon as I get off the plane I drive to the Dublin Pool/Rec Center and go swimming or shoot hoops. Homewood Suites is over per diem and the boss has been cracking down. However, we will be there this Sunday through Thursday as I am bringing my family (and paying the difference from the per diem). It is in the Providence Village where there are new homes priced up to $1M. There is the Thai and burger and I think an Italian restaurant there too.

What good things and what bad things have you heard about the Madison County vs City vs Huntsville School Systems? All I have to go on are tabulated assessment data from the Alabama Department of Education and data from Great Schools. I am going to try to walk around a couple of candidate schools while I am there next week. I'd like to talk to faculty and staff and also just check out the appearance of the school, do the kids look happy and with it, engaged, etc. Do the elementary schools have after school sports like a running club (my kids are in here in CO).

One poster a while back posted an excellent table of vacant seats in the schools - it showed which schools were overcrowded and which schools had space. The range was huge, from something like 40% to 110% capacity (going on memory here). That was interesting because I've heard comments about needing new schools but some schools are way under utilized. In this same context, another poster mentioned something about lifting a desegration order.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:11 AM

55 posts, read 229,555 times
The thing that turned us off of some of the Madison County subdivisions was that I was told they are mostly on septic systems or that the HOAs have to take care of water treatment and thus, homeowner fees will be higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area