Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 05:06 PM

4 posts, read 10,903 times

Advertisements

thinking of opening a yoga studio for kids in the Madison area. Need some feed back on the idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 05:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
It's ultimately a parent's decision to enroll a kid in an activity and we as parents often enroll our kids in activities which we perceive to be as projections of our interests. So, how many adults try yoga and stick with it more than say, six months? Are there a lot of successful yoga businesses for adults? If yes, then you might have a decent chance. If no, .....

Old 05-08-2008, 07:12 PM

262 posts, read 793,527 times
Keeping kids quiet and zen-like...hmm.....wonder if my 3 year old would go for that? LOL

Old 05-08-2008, 08:25 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,438 times
I knew a few people in California who were enrolled in yoga with their kids - never an independent studio specifically for kids, only as part of a gym or something. People I knew who were involved were moms with kids under 5, in a parent and child class, so they were both participating. A few people though - it wasn't terribly popular and that was California. A nice idea for a health club or gym I think as a once-a-week class, but I don't a "yoga studio for kids" would stay afloat. Sorry, but to be frank, I just don't think it's something the vast majority kids will be interested in beyond a few preschoolers who are happy to do anything Mommy is doing. I only think it would work as a very small part of a larger enterprise (martial arts dojo, kids fitness/gymnastics club w/ a variety of classes of which yoga is only one, etc.)

Old 05-08-2008, 08:29 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
You want to make money?

Open a restaurant with free childcare, maybe a tykes gym, playground, coloring/crafts area. Hire a bunch of high school kids for $9/hour to watch the kids. Don't know why this hasn't taken off, especially in suburbia. The closest thing to it is Joe's Crab Shack - it's always crowded. Mom and dad are sucking down Long Island Ice Teas while Billy and Lucy are throwing sand at someone else's kids.

Joe's Crab Shack - the Hippest Seafood Restaurant!* King Crabs, Blue Crabs, Dungeness Crabs, Steamed Crabs, Mouth-watering Crabs!

Old 05-08-2008, 08:35 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
I think it would be difficult to convince younger children to join such a thing, if they do, more than likely their parents put them in it without consenting their kids. You might get a few participants, but the most part, there won't be a whole lot.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,319 times
Willow Tree Yoga studio rents out their location to yoga teachers. I think this is a great idea--I would definitely take my 4 year old. I would also be interested in a yoga class with my child.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:56 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
A yoga studio for kids would have a very limited segment of the public to draw from.

The parents have to:
understand and like yoga
have disposable income
see a potential benefit
live within a reasonable distance
have the time to bring and retrieve the child or children
know the place is open and safe

At a minimum, the business has to have these expenses/hoops to jump through:
liability insurance
probably a day care license
a safe and accessible location
advertising
two people capable of instructing
enough funding to weather a few months of no income

To someone new to Alabama, there is a factor that often is unrecognized when setting up businesses catering to young kids. Many, if not most parents are highly involved in church and/or school sports activities. There are some (more than you might expect) that wouldn't even consider yoga, because it is not based on Christian beliefs. There are other parents that would see it as a time detriment to full participation in school sports. In short, the cultural fit just isn't there. You might as well try to set up a Nathan's Hot Dogs next to a Hindu temple in India.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:36 AM

21 posts, read 91,427 times
Whether your involved WITH Christian beliefs or not is not the point. Good parents WANT to spend time with their kids that is called Parenting 101. Why would you take your children to dinner to pawn them off for $ an hour? That is an insult to good parenting skills, a waste of money and an oppurtunity missed to connect with your children or allow the child to practice good manners (in public). Oh, back to the OP - yoga would not work in the Heart of Dixie for 1000 reasons but if you build it someone will pay the money.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:49 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Walkingtall4sure, I'm confused. Last time I checked, yoga was not the same as taking your children to dinner. I'm sure you have a point, but I seem to have missed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area