Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 12:05 PM

653 posts, read 589,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL2HSV View Post
This is exactly how misinformation spreads. Someone who doesn't know anything about a topic makes purposely vague comments that match their world view no matter how off base they might be. If you would take 5 minutes to do some research into something you would get your answer.

The AL.com article that started this thread has an excel spreadsheet attached that tells you what the break down for metro city allocations is based on. The FY2020 HUD data for CDBG allocations. A Quick google search and the very first website gives you a breakdown of the FY 2020 HUD Data for CDBG allocations. If you cross reference these numbers you get the exact same allocation. This means they are allocating based on areas of need instead of just population.

https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/...ng/budget/fy20
Look here, an explanation or basis of distribution! Thank you.

I didn't check myself and assume you're correct. Hopefully you won't feel compelled to accuse me for not knowing anything on the topic and spreading my world views too.

We can now debate if HUD's approach is valid but that could be rather pointless. I'd like to assume the government in general tries to do the right thing. Mistakes happens but as long as we learn from them and adjust accordingly then mistakes are good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
I'm curious what your thoughts are about this article:

https://www.al.com/news/2020/11/shel...al-budget.html

Quick math tells me Huntsville gets the lionshare of this in the form of BILLIONS of dollars. Did that seem like partisan politics to you? Did it make you question why or is it just the way it is supposed to be?
It seems like partisan politics from the point of view of Alabama receiving the funding.

It does not seem like partisan politics from the point of view of execution within the state unless of course areas outside of Huntsville have the something like RSA and the associated workforce to handle the work that is associated with the funding. Does Birmingham have the same capabilities? I'm not sure.

Maybe Richard Shelby is from Huntsville or the surrounding Huntsville area and showing favoritism to his home town area..... No, that's not right; is it?

Maybe he is just getting the money for his state and having it allocated in the only area he can allocate those type of funds.

But of course I'm bias since I do indirectly benefit from those funds.

Old 03-20-2021, 03:05 PM

1,017 posts, read 640,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
It seems like partisan politics from the point of view of Alabama receiving the funding.

It does not seem like partisan politics from the point of view of execution within the state unless of course areas outside of Huntsville have the something like RSA and the associated workforce to handle the work that is associated with the funding. Does Birmingham have the same capabilities? I'm not sure.

Maybe Richard Shelby is from Huntsville or the surrounding Huntsville area and showing favoritism to his home town area..... No, that's not right; is it?

Maybe he is just getting the money for his state and having it allocated in the only area he can allocate those type of funds.

But of course I'm bias since I do indirectly benefit from those funds.
That's cute "asking" if Shelby is from Huntsville. Did the person I responded to ask if Biden was from Birmingham? Nope. His conclusion was because Birmingham votes Democrat was why it got more stimulus funding. We do not know where or what else those funds could have been spent on once Shelby secured them for Alabama. To suggest that Birmingham or any other area of the state has no need or no infrastructure that could use them is asinine or just plain silly.

Old 03-20-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
That's cute "asking" if Shelby is from Huntsville. Did the person I responded to ask if Biden was from Birmingham? Nope. His conclusion was because Birmingham votes Democrat was why it got more stimulus funding. We do not know where or what else those funds could have been spent on once Shelby secured them for Alabama. To suggest that Birmingham or any other area of the state has no need or no infrastructure that could use them is asinine or just plain silly.
Only RocketDawg knows what he was meaning.
Based on other posting from him, I do think he was seeking the reasoning for the difference in funding. He implied, snidely perhaps, it was due to politics.

WRT the funds; yes we do know. You may not know and there is a difference.
The funds are already allocated for DoD, DOJ, and NASA. Shelby was able to fund projects and needs for his state. Where in his state could they be applied; RSA.

Maybe Birmingham could use the funds to light up the underside of overpasses. That would be a better use of those funds, right?

Old 03-22-2021, 02:05 PM

1,017 posts, read 640,193 times
Ha man, you're funny. Lighting up the underpasses is a specific use of a fund designed to better an underprivleged neighborhood that has an interstate running through it. So like your precious DoD, DoJ funds, they are allocated and can't be used for anything else.

But the snide responses tell me what I already knew. You believe Huntsville is entitled to the welfare it recieves.

Old 03-22-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Ha man, you're funny. Lighting up the underpasses is a specific use of a fund designed to better an underprivleged neighborhood that has an interstate running through it. So like your precious DoD, DoJ funds, they are allocated and can't be used for anything else.

But the snide responses tell me what I already knew. You believe Huntsville is entitled to the welfare it recieves.
The allocation of funds; by George I think you've got it!

Welfare; perhaps we have different definitions of welfare. I believe you are referring to welfare of giving of public assistance. Much in the form of housing or food subsidies, supplement of an individual's savings during times of unemployment, or other like funds.

Help us understand how funding activities involving MDA, FBI, or Army Material Command's research, operations, and data centers is welfare? Good luck.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:01 AM

156 posts, read 177,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
I didn't check myself and assume you're correct. Hopefully you won't feel compelled to accuse me for not knowing anything on the topic and spreading my world views too.
All good as long as you don't make purposely misleading comments when knowing nothing about a topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area