Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 02:51 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,607,489 times

Advertisements

For the past year I kept hearing them say "follow the science" or "we go by the CDC". Now even though the CDC has said that if I am fully vaccinated I don't need to wear a mask or social distance some organizations and businesses have not followed this recommendation. Until that changes I will fight back as best I can.

I have made a personal decision. A couple groups I belong to either no longer want to meet in person or if they do insist that I wear a mask and social distance even though I am fully vaccinated. I have given them an ultimatum. I will not participate in any event that requires this. If they continue to make this demand beyond September I will terminate my association with them.

I will try to limit visiting stores and businesses that still require me to wear a mask. The only exception is medical providers. Some places I will test this and only wear a mask if they insist I do or I may simply leave if the visit is not important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 07:43 AM

661 posts, read 605,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
For the past year I kept hearing them say "follow the science" or "we go by the CDC". Now even though the CDC has said that if I am fully vaccinated I don't need to wear a mask or social distance some organizations and businesses have not followed this recommendation. Until that changes I will fight back as best I can.

I have made a personal decision. A couple groups I belong to either no longer want to meet in person or if they do insist that I wear a mask and social distance even though I am fully vaccinated. I have given them an ultimatum. I will not participate in any event that requires this. If they continue to make this demand beyond September I will terminate my association with them.

I will try to limit visiting stores and businesses that still require me to wear a mask. The only exception is medical providers. Some places I will test this and only wear a mask if they insist I do or I may simply leave if the visit is not important.
Likewise for me too.
After the mandatory mask order expired for Alabama; I tried to be considerate whenever I was someplace like Publix during the day and there were a higher number of elderly in the place. I noticed by mid-April that the majority of those that I would consider elderly did not have a mask. So with that personal data point I'm maskless with one exception; haircuts.

The place I go for a cut said their corporate policy is to still require masks for the employees and those entering the business. I asked what happens if a customer objects to wearing the mask and the answer was what I was hoping to hear; they can go elsewhere for a haircut. Free market and freedom of choice.

Old 05-23-2021, 08:21 AM

661 posts, read 605,199 times
Costco lifts mask requirements.

https://www.costco.com/coronavirus.html

May 14, 2021

Dear Costco Member,

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control recently announced new guidance regarding COVID-19 and vaccines. Among other things, the CDC now says that fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear a mask in most settings, except where required by state and local laws. People are considered fully vaccinated 2 weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, or 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine.

Based on this new guidance regarding vaccine effectiveness, beginning May 14, 2021, we are modifying our policy regarding face coverings in some U.S. Costco locations.

U.S. locations with no state or local mask requirements - revised policy
In Costco locations where the state or local jurisdiction does not have a mask mandate, we will allow members and guests who are fully vaccinated to enter Costco without a face mask or face shield. We will not require proof of vaccination, except where required by law, but we ask for members’ responsible and respectful cooperation with this revised policy. Face coverings will still be required in some close contact situations in healthcare settings, including Pharmacy, Optical, Hearing Aid.

U.S. locations with state or local mask requirements - no policy change
In those Costco locations where the state or local jurisdiction does have a mask mandate, we will follow the state or local regulations and continue to require members and guests to wear a face mask or face shield. Children under the age of 2 are exempt. If a member or guest has a medical condition that prevents them from wearing a mask, they must wear a face shield.

As before, our goal is to continue to provide a safe shopping environment for our members and guests and to provide a safe work environment for our employees, while following public health advice and applicable laws.

Thank you for your continued cooperation and support.

Craig Jelinek
President and CEO
Costco Wholesale

Old 05-23-2021, 04:53 PM

You mean Costco is relying on peoples personal freedom and responsibility? What a novel concept.

Old 05-23-2021, 05:19 PM

3,494 posts, read 1,783,922 times
Quote:

Your groups are protecting themselves and you, what's wrong with that? The scientists don't agree with the CDC regarding relaxing the mask mandate, and the CDC is only doing it because they think more people will get vaccinated so they don't have to wear masks. Do you know if your vaccine took effect in your system? If you don't, how would your groups know if you are immune or your vaccine failed and you are an asymptomatic covid carrier?

I was watching the PGA tournament in Kiawah Island, SC today and not one person was wearing a mask in the big crowds. Some were screaming and yelling for Phil Mickelson's ball to go in the hole. Suppose one of them has covid and is spreading it by yelling in the gusty wind on the golf course today? My friend knows someone who died of covid recently in South Carolina who lived in close proximity to Kiawah, so the virus is around that area and killing people. Why would you not wear a mask to protect others and yourself like the spectators at the golf tournament are doing while risking lives?

Last edited by wp169; 05-23-2021 at 05:32 PM..

Old 05-23-2021, 05:58 PM

13,176 posts, read 9,740,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Your groups are protecting themselves and you, what's wrong with that? The scientists don't agree with the CDC regarding relaxing the mask mandate, and the CDC is only doing it because they think more people will get vaccinated so they don't have to wear masks. Do you know if your vaccine took effect in your system? If you don't, how would your groups know if you are immune or your vaccine failed and you are an asymptomatic covid carrier?

I was watching the PGA tournament in Kiawah Island, SC today and not one person was wearing a mask in the big crowds. Some were screaming and yelling for Phil Mickelson's ball to go in the hole. Suppose one of them has covid and is spreading it by yelling in the gusty wind on the golf course today? My friend knows someone who died of covid recently in South Carolina who lived in close proximity to Kiawah, so the virus is around that area and killing people. Why would you not wear a mask to protect others and yourself like the spectators at the golf tournament are doing while risking lives?
Should know in a few days. If there was ever a super-spreader event, this was it. A couple of spectators were even grabbing for the players - too much beer I suppose. Pretty sure all the spectators had to be bused from the mainland to attend the event as well.

Old 05-24-2021, 11:14 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,158,737 times
Default Governor signs into law

Quote:
The new mandate is to require a COVID-19 vaccination. You read about some companies and schools requiring it. I hope that doesn't come to Alabama. Some states are fighting back. They either have or working on legislation to forbid anyone to require somebody to have a vaccination passport or even ask about your vaccination status....

If the airlines and tourist industry don't back off at some point on making people wear masks will somebody have the courage to fight back? Some people have to fly. What would happen if everyone else just boycotts them?
Governor signed into law the restriction on requiring a vaccine passport.
https://whnt.com/news/alabama-news/g...ts-in-alabama/

The text of the law can be found here:
https://legiscan.com/AL/text/SB267/i...Introduced.pdf

Businesses cannot ask customers to provide vaccine proof.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:43 PM

296 posts, read 241,875 times
I was surprised, I went to Costco and to the neighborhood Walmart on Oakwood/53 this morning, and I was in the vast minority... almost everyone else was masked. However, no one said a word to me or really gave me a second glance. I'm not a protester and am actually a big rules follower, I have worn a mask always and wherever it was required, or even if not just to do my part. But now I am fully vaccinated and am following the science.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:48 PM

13,176 posts, read 9,740,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
I was surprised, I went to Costco and to the neighborhood Walmart on Oakwood/53 this morning, and I was in the vast minority... almost everyone else was masked. However, no one said a word to me or really gave me a second glance. I'm not a protester and am actually a big rules follower, I have worn a mask always and wherever it was required, or even if not just to do my part. But now I am fully vaccinated and am following the science.
Costco announced on May 14 that they would no longer require masks in their stores.

We went to Cracker Barrel in Madison off Wall Triana and there was an announcement over the intercom that they still require masks unless you're at your table eating. However, most in the place were not masked and there was no enforcement that I could see. It's their store and if they want me to wear a mask, I'll wear one or go somewhere else.

Old 05-25-2021, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Governor signed into law the restriction on requiring a vaccine passport.
https://whnt.com/news/alabama-news/g...ts-in-alabama/

The text of the law can be found here:
https://legiscan.com/AL/text/SB267/i...Introduced.pdf

Businesses cannot ask customers to provide vaccine proof.
The Huntsville-Madison County Senior Center plans to open on June 1st. They had stated that nobody would be allowed to enter without showing proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Everyone also would be required to wear a mask. I wonder if they will change their rules now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area