Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:59 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,866,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingtall4sure View Post
It helps to be a Christian when tornados approach.
... because as we all know Christians never get hit by Tornados. Wait...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 08:44 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Travel out in the country in Morgan County and you'll see storm shelters built into a hillock, with earth mounded on top. Decatur itself is very flat. And very few homes have basements. Frankly, I have not heard of a tornado going through Decatur, except on the far south side, just barely in the city limits. There's a greater chance of a huge limb or tree falling on your car or house due to high winds.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:51 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I don't hear the sirens at night if I am asleep- and I have one just a few yards away. I have a weather radio though and between that and my DD calling,'bless her heart' I was up until 2am Sunday. My DD and I usually do call each other as a precaution.

When I lived in OKC it seemed their storms came more during the day. I remember everyone standing outside looking around if there was a warning or watch. Night time does make it scarier as you can't see a thing..

Old 05-12-2008, 09:16 AM

602 posts, read 1,962,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
... because as we all know Christians never get hit by Tornados. Wait...
Oh, good grief. The poster just meant it's a great comfort to be able to pray. Nobody claims Christians are exempt from disaster.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:00 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,438 times
Quote:
Didn't you post something about a reinforced closet? I personally think that is better than having to walk outside in the rain in the early morning hours to get to a shelter.
Yes, well, those are another kind of shelter. Each have pros and cons. Once we have funds available for something like that, we'll do more research as to exactly which type of shelter we get. I think the underground ones are strictly safer but it would have to be one big-ass tornado to knock down an above ground shelter. If we choose underground, we decided we'd do something right off our back porch, and built it in with some hardscaping so it looks nice - and that way we'd just be taking a few steps outside in a covered area to get to th shelter.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:58 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,866,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChild View Post
Oh, good grief. The poster just meant it's a great comfort to be able to pray. Nobody claims Christians are exempt from disaster.
It's low-grade proselytizing. Why should Christians take great comfort in prayer if prayer won't exempt one from disaster?

Sounds like hoping to me, which last I checked is still available to all religions and lack thereof.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:49 AM

763 posts, read 3,835,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Zenjenn..

Didn't you post something about a reinforced closet? I personally think that is better than having to walk outside in the rain in the early morning hours to get to a shelter.
I have read about one that is designed to be located in your garage, underneath the floor where your car is parked. Apparently, you go into the garage, back the car out then open the hatch and step down inside...I liked this concept.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:19 AM

410 posts, read 1,653,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo35223 View Post
I have read about one that is designed to be located in your garage, underneath the floor where your car is parked. Apparently, you go into the garage, back the car out then open the hatch and step down inside...I liked this concept.
I believe you really have to get these installed before the garage slab is poured, but I like this idea, too. Better if you have access that you can keep clear.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:29 PM

25 posts, read 108,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleC View Post
Better if you have access that you can keep clear.
Yeah, it wouldn't be to nice to have to back your car into the tornado while trying to get into shelter!

Old 06-03-2008, 06:53 PM

410 posts, read 1,653,094 times
Who parks in their garage anymore anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area