U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 08:39 AM

3,662 posts, read 3,785,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I reckon just about every pet owner has dealt with fleas at one time or another. One thing I have done in the past (petless at the moment) was get the Capstar (24 hr pill) for several doses for every other day for a week or 2. Any left over fleas will jump on the pet but when they bite the pet they will die and not reproduce so in short order any survivors from the other treatments will die off. It's never failed me. Oh... and for your own bites, keep spray Benadryl (or the equivalent) on hand for future reference. It's about the only thing that will help me with the intense itching of ticks and such.
This answer is indeed on the money for the fact that it suggests more than one course of action to take.

It is imperative pathrunner that you work with your vet so as to give your pets a medication for them to take orally that is a flea and tick deterrent.
And for you, keep benadryl handy for a quick oral dose that can work to counter any "poisons" that enter your blood stream via an insect bite.
I found the benadryl treatment to be particularly helpful in the aftermath of a severe reaction I had to multiple ant bites. FYI: The bites came from a smallish, commonly found and supposedly nonthreatening species of ant.
And my severe reactions to yellow jacket stings has also similarly been lessened via the use of benadryl..

Last edited by atler8; 05-27-2021 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: inserted a mising word
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 11:20 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,594,373 times
I got Simparica Trio yesterday and gave it to my dogs. It kills fleas in 3 hours. She's doing much better. He seems not as affected, but he still got the meds. It's a once a month med. I got a benzocaine bug/bite stick from CVS yesterday it helped for awhile, but seemed to stop working. Calamine, etc. none of the usual stuff worked.

As for myself, I just got back from the urgent care in Guntersville. Fleas and chiggers. Steroid shot, 3% steroid cream and an oral steroid to keep the itching down. I fogged the house yesterday, but the dogs still need to be washed. I'm a disabled senior so I can only do so much on a given day. Frustrating as hell.

I do have 50mg Hydroxyzine on hand from a few months ago, I will take that when I can't take this stress anymore and need to go to bed for several hours./s

Thanks everybody.

Last edited by pathrunner; 05-27-2021 at 11:35 AM..

Old 05-27-2021, 11:38 AM

Just for the record, I had been giving my dogs Nexgard until January, but this year after moving to Alabama, I have stepped up the treatment to Simparica starting yesterday. It covers fleas, ticks, heartworm and deworms the dog. A little more expensive than Nexgard, but definitely worth it.

Old 05-27-2021, 01:19 PM

20,339 posts, read 61,132,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I got Simparica Trio yesterday and gave it to my dogs. It kills fleas in 3 hours. She's doing much better. He seems not as affected, but he still got the meds. It's a once a month med. I got a benzocaine bug/bite stick from CVS yesterday it helped for awhile, but seemed to stop working. Calamine, etc. none of the usual stuff worked.

As for myself, I just got back from the urgent care in Guntersville. Fleas and chiggers. Steroid shot, 3% steroid cream and an oral steroid to keep the itching down. I fogged the house yesterday, but the dogs still need to be washed. I'm a disabled senior so I can only do so much on a given day. Frustrating as hell.

I do have 50mg Hydroxyzine on hand from a few months ago, I will take that when I can't take this stress anymore and need to go to bed for several hours./s

Thanks everybody.
Pretty sure it is the chigger bites that are doing the worst itching. Flea bites are much shorter acting. If you are going outdoors in bushy or wooded areas, chiggers can live there as well.

Example: One of the worst chigger attacks I had was while picking blackberries. I didn't notice them in the scratching I was getting from the brambles. I think that Brier Rabbit and his family were living there and were infested with them.

Nothing really works completely on chigger bites except time. The anti-itch creams work reasonably well on poison ivy, but not all that well on chigger bites. A dab of oral analgesic paste might do as much for short term relief. Distraction seems to be more effective than most remedies.

If you want to try something natural, there is a standard axiom in folk medicine: Whenever there is a toxic plant or insect or harmful animal, there is always a plant, herb, or other item nearby (within a couple hundred feet) that is a cure or palliative. Overall, I have found this to be amazingly true.

Plant poultices that could help include broadleaf plantain (looks like a thicker dandelion plant with broad leaves that don't have the spike of dandelion), common yarrow, and thyme. With the plantain, also try just laying a whole leaf over an itching spot. The technique is called "drawing." (an aside on drawing: I was burning sawdust once and had blowback onto my arm that would have caused second degree burns. I immediately immersed it in cold water and then slathered it with aloe, took a couple aspirin, raised the arm above my head, and wrapped it in cabbage leaves. {cabbage leaves are known for drawing out heat} With the combination of treatments, the arm was completely fine - no blisters, no red areas, no pain. Scared the living crud outta me though!)

Old 05-27-2021, 02:09 PM

That's really interesting and really good to keep in the back of my mind. I'm very interested in and supportive of herbal natural treatments. I think we might have some broadleaf plantain in the yard. I will take a pic and post it.

You are correct in that time is the only thing that works with chigger bites. The steroid shot I got lasted only 2 hrs. and it wasn't really all that effective to begin with. I got some Triamcinolone 0.1%. It's fresh. I had some that was outdated. The doc said it loses potency after 6 months. It's helping only a little. Hydroxyzine 25mg. I already had some 50mg. so I'll just stash it and cut the 50's in half. The Hydroxyzine only helps a little as well. (I thought I was getting 3% steroid cream, but didn't.)

I am beyond upset about all this this because I'm still suffering the physical effects AND I like to garden but I don't see how I can still do it. Gun shy at this point and who can blame me? Long sleeves, long pants, slathering myself in basically poison? Nope. Cue Dana Carvey: "Not gonna do it."

Old 05-27-2021, 06:29 PM

" Long sleeves, long pants, slathering myself in basically poison? Nope. Cue Dana Carvey: "Not gonna do it.""

You haven't grown okra, have you?

If you look at some of the old pics of gardeners and field workers, long sleeves are common, as are gloves. I've disturbed a bumblebee or two while gardening (they like green bean flowers), but worse than chiggers was a multicolored fuzzy caterpillar that I had not previously seen. The poison barbs on that fuzz is like fire, and the (Oleander?) caterpillar is common here.

Even the lightest weight leggings will prevent bites. I have fire ants on my property and if I am going to be working around them, I wear them under my pants. My legs used to be covered over with their bites. No more. Surprisingly, there is little difference in heat, as the upper body does most of the sweating. You can use powdered sulfur on your arms and clothes to discourage ticks. No poison involved, although too much can make your soil acid.

Bugs and insects will inherit the earth long after we're gone. Best to try to figure out what works to not get into a fight with them.

Old 05-27-2021, 07:22 PM

Hi Harry, I guess I will get over it. Right now I'm so exhausted and depressed over this whole ordeal. The Antihistamine is finally working as is the Triamcinolone cream. I'm dreading getting into bed, and planning how to apply insect repellent and what I'm going to wear to bed. I'm going to get one of those head net thingys. I bought one for a horse once, and I had one for a dog long ago as well.

I've heard about those caterpillars. Sounds awful. Also going to buy some diatomaceous earth. My housemate wants me to trash the area rug I bought that was likely flea infested. Either that and/or they picked up the fleas from the dog park. My bad was not starting the flea meds the first of May. I rationalized that it was cold and overcast. I will not be doing that next year.

Last edited by pathrunner; 05-27-2021 at 07:36 PM..

Old 05-27-2021, 07:34 PM

6,095 posts, read 3,596,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
" Long sleeves, long pants, slathering myself in basically poison? Nope. Cue Dana Carvey: "Not gonna do it.""

You haven't grown okra, have you?

If you look at some of the old pics of gardeners and field workers, long sleeves are common, as are gloves. I've disturbed a bumblebee or two while gardening (they like green bean flowers), but worse than chiggers was a multicolored fuzzy caterpillar that I had not previously seen. The poison barbs on that fuzz is like fire, and the (Oleander?) caterpillar is common here.

Even the lightest weight leggings will prevent bites. I have fire ants on my property and if I am going to be working around them, I wear them under my pants. My legs used to be covered over with their bites. No more. Surprisingly, there is little difference in heat, as the upper body does most of the sweating. You can use powdered sulfur on your arms and clothes to discourage ticks. No poison involved, although too much can make your soil acid.

Bugs and insects will inherit the earth long after we're gone. Best to try to figure out what works to not get into a fight with them.
Do compression socks that come almost to knee level do the same?

Old 05-27-2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Do compression socks that come almost to knee level do the same?
I would think so, as should athletic socks that come up that high, especially if you topped them with a band of double stick tape. The fabric just needs to be dense enough. (I now have visions of RocketDawg gardening in go-go boots... arrgh!!!! ) However, that is just for fire ants, which mostly seem to give up before they get to the knees. Ticks will crawl up your entire body and can be found in the hairline. I have found ticks attached on parts not mentionable in decent company. Leggings prevent that as well as chigger and flea bites on the legs.

FWIW, I've been doing more testing with fire ants this year, as the spring had over 50 mounds in my front field alone. There appear to be two varieties here, one that likes sugar, and the other more dominant one that is more protein/fat oriented. Those didn't even go for vanilla ice cream I left out as a bait, which was a surprise. Another homebrew treatment I tried about three months ago does seem to have had a big effect though. Current advice is a two prong approach, but I am developing a three prong one with safer baiting that may be more effective - IF it works. Hopefully, I'll know by fall.

Old 05-27-2021, 10:24 PM

1,551 posts, read 609,429 times
Dear pathfinder, I used witch hazel on chigger bites. It really seemed to help with the itching & stinging. I also had access to an aloe vera plant and just broke off pieces of the plant & rubbed the gel directly on the bites.

Oral diphenhydramine, aka Benadryl was the only antihistamine that helped.

I didn’t know what chiggers were until I spent some time in the Ozarks in Arkansas. It’s a beautiful place, but the chiggers! Yikes! Someone told me that chiggers burrow under the skin. I don’t know if that is true, but they definitely made me miserable. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: