Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 01:44 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,595,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Copper isn't passive. There's all sorts of powered equipment between your home and the headend. Fiber, on the other hand, is passive all the way back to the central office, where there is sufficient battery / generator back up to provide power indefinitely. As long as you have power to your equipment, you are good to go.
In general terms both copper and fiber are passive medium. What I am talking about is the cable running between the poles.

However there may be active components in the system. For example, with copper there may be powered amplifiers inline. Likewise, even fiber over long runs may require powered light amplifiers or repeaters inline.

Of course both copper and fiber having powered circuits inline does not take away from the fact that they are both passive medium. As a former engineer I should know.

If you read the following you will understand that both copper and fiber meet the definition of passive components.

Quote:
In a nutshell, active components can, generally speaking, inject power into a circuit and are capable of electrically controlling and amplifying the flow of electrical current, whereas passive components cannot. Unlike active components, passive components either consume or store energy.
Introduction to electronic compontents: Active vs. passive components
https://www.power-and-beyond.com/int...ents-a-893768/

Both copper and fiber are subject to disruption if their lines are broken by natural or other reasons. Both have electrically power equipment inline so are subject to going down unless their is backup power. However, fiber tends to be more reliable because their systems have fewer electrical components to fail.

There is no such thing as providing power indefinitely. We found that out in April 2011. Backup power only lasts a few days at best. Cable and Internet went out immediately. The AT&T landlines lasted a few days until their backup power ended. By Saturday I had no electricity, phone, cable or Internet. The only connection to the outside world was radio. That would last only as long as the batteries did.

Because TV stations require so much power there was no hope for them to continue operating when they lost power. On the other had radio stations had backup power and could run for a short time on it. However, when it became apparent that power would not be restored for several days they gave up on that. They pooled their resources and decided that some stations would shut down. That allowed the ones left to continue broadcasting using the limited fuel for their generators.

Even nuclear power plants are not allowed to run more than a few days with only backup power to their cooling system. In April 2011 the Browns Ferry nuclear power plant in Athens came close to being ordered to shut down. That was only averted when primary electrical power was restored to their cooling systems. When I talk about primary power I am talking about a source such as a coal fired power plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 10:45 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,219,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
In general terms both copper and fiber are passive medium. What I am talking about is the cable running between the poles.

However there may be active components in the system. For example, with copper there may be powered amplifiers inline. Likewise, even fiber over long runs may require powered light amplifiers or repeaters inline.

Of course both copper and fiber having powered circuits inline does not take away from the fact that they are both passive medium. As a former engineer I should know.
As a former engineer, you should understand that we're talking about systems not a pieces of wire or glass. As a system, unless you live very close to the headend, a cable plant requires active components to provide the end user with a signal. These components have limited or no power backup so when there is a power outage, there is limited or no signal availability. On the other hand, fiber generally uses PON - Passive Optical Network. There are no active components between the Central Office and the end user. For localized power outages, there is no disruption in service. For more widespread outages, the CO has sufficient backup power resources to continue providing service for an extended period of time.

Quote:
There is no such thing as providing power indefinitely. We found that out in April 2011. Backup power only lasts a few days at best. Cable and Internet went out immediately. The AT&T landlines lasted a few days until their backup power ended. By Saturday I had no electricity, phone, cable or Internet. The only connection to the outside world was radio. That would last only as long as the batteries did.

Because TV stations require so much power there was no hope for them to continue operating when they lost power. On the other had radio stations had backup power and could run for a short time on it. However, when it became apparent that power would not be restored for several days they gave up on that. They pooled their resources and decided that some stations would shut down. That allowed the ones left to continue broadcasting using the limited fuel for their generators.
I had an inverter that I hooked to the car to power our TV. I don't recall there being any disruption in local broadcast, but it's been awhile.

Old 07-02-2021, 01:22 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,099,261 times
But the reason we have higher speeds than most of the country is the competitiveness of our market.

No other market has:
Att Fiber
Comcast
Spectrum
Google
WoW
and
Mediacom.

Many of us have 4 choices for providers - the norm is 2, and occasionally 3.

Old 07-02-2021, 01:39 PM

13,001 posts, read 9,526,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
But the reason we have higher speeds than most of the country is the competitiveness of our market.

No other market has:
Att Fiber
Comcast
Spectrum
Google
WoW
and
Mediacom.

Many of us have 4 choices for providers - the norm is 2, and occasionally 3.
Or in my case, and most if not all of Madison, just one.

Old 07-02-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Or in my case, and most if not all of Madison, just one.
Curious which part of Madison doesn't have two options.

Old 07-02-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Edgewater, for one.

Old 07-02-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Edgewater, for one.
Zierdt Road - so you only have WOW.

I am surprised ATT didn't do that area. They were dropping Fiber all around you a couple of years ago.

Old 07-02-2021, 04:10 PM

50 posts, read 52,720 times
Quote:
Zierdt Road - so you only have WOW.
I live on Zierdt north of Edgewater and AT&T has been pitching me for at least two years. WOW just dropped their rates enough so that for an extra $9/month I'll be getting gig speeds (that included a free modem and mesh network).

I think AT&T is also in Edgewater.

Old 07-02-2021, 05:15 PM

656 posts, read 591,648 times
Quote:
At least some of the areas off of County Line Road.

Old 07-02-2021, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMaple View Post
I live on Zierdt north of Edgewater and AT&T has been pitching me for at least two years. WOW just dropped their rates enough so that for an extra $9/month I'll be getting gig speeds (that included a free modem and mesh network).

I think AT&T is also in Edgewater.
If AT&T is in Edgewater (Madison part), I certainly don't know about it. Google is also in nearby Huntsville areas such as The Reserve and Lake Forest I believe, but not in my part of Edgewater.

No idea that AT&T has service in Mountain Brook. Maybe I should check them out for Edgewater because I'm not really happy with Wow right now (they turned my cable modem off, then the service tech didn't come as scheduled, and I was without internet for 4-5 days. And I'm sure I'll be billed for service I didn't get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area