Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 12:43 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,595,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
That's just what it said when I looked up availability of AT&T at my address. Since I have Dish for television service, I never thought about what AT&T television might be. You must be right that it's DirecTV.

I don't know of any plans to have anything other than WoW in my neighborhood. The terminal box (I believe the service tech referred to it as a "tap") is at the end of my driveway. I'm OK with WoW - they just failed miserably with service that one time.
For some areas AT&T offers a choice of U-Verse and DirectTV. I don't know about Madison but probably most parts of Huntsville wouldn't even consider those options because AT&T Fiber is available.

I don't know what I did but I searched for service at my address and it showed TV but no Internet available just like you. That is strange because my neighbor has AT&T Fiber. I tried again but this time it it showed AT&T Fiber with both TV and Internet available at my address.

Is AT&T Fiber available where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2021, 05:19 AM

609 posts, read 530,510 times
Quote:
That's just what it said when I looked up availability of AT&T at my address. Since I have Dish for television service, I never thought about what AT&T television might be. You must be right that it's DirecTV.

I don't know of any plans to have anything other than WoW in my neighborhood. The terminal box (I believe the service tech referred to it as a "tap") is at the end of my driveway. I'm OK with WoW - they just failed miserably with service that one time.
The AT&T TV I am signing up for has nothing to do with Direct TV. There is no dish involved as it is a streaming service. Because it is a streaming service, I assume it is available anywhere there is internet service.

Edit: link added

https://www.reviews.org/tv-service/att-tv-vs-directv/

Last edited by Preston3124; 07-14-2021 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: Added link

Old 07-14-2021, 01:59 PM

12,993 posts, read 9,521,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
For some areas AT&T offers a choice of U-Verse and DirectTV. I don't know about Madison but probably most parts of Huntsville wouldn't even consider those options because AT&T Fiber is available.

I don't know what I did but I searched for service at my address and it showed TV but no Internet available just like you. That is strange because my neighbor has AT&T Fiber. I tried again but this time it it showed AT&T Fiber with both TV and Internet available at my address.

Is AT&T Fiber available where you live?
Not to my knowledge. As far as I know, none of Edgewater (either in the Huntsville or the Madison part) have fiber of any kind available. Nothing but WoW. It doesn't seem all that bad (except for my service issue) but I really can't compare it to fiber since we've never had it.

Old 07-14-2021, 09:23 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,595,554 times
Quote:
Not to my knowledge. As far as I know, none of Edgewater (either in the Huntsville or the Madison part) have fiber of any kind available. Nothing but WoW. It doesn't seem all that bad (except for my service issue) but I really can't compare it to fiber since we've never had it.
I started with Cable Alabama (Knology/WoW) maybe 35 years ago. I only switched to Comcast in 2001 because they were the first to offer High Speed Internet in my neighborhood. That was 1.5Mbps. That may seem slow today but was about 50 times faster than dial-up which was about 30Kbps.

Google Fiber has dropped their TV service. They suggest that new Internet customers subscribe to a Streaming Internet TV service such as Google TV. I wonder if AT&T Fiber will eventually do the same since they have spun off their AT&T TV service. Both Comcast and WOW have speeds up to 1Gbps on their existing cable lines. They are the only ones with traditional cable TV. With everything seemingly moving away from traditional cable services toward Internet ones I wonder what the technology will be ten years from now? Some people want to go with what they think may be future proof. The problem is nobody knows what that is.

It may be with the present financial structures not all four companies will survive in the Huntsville market. I used to not have a contract so I could be flexible and be able to switch to another provider. Recently I did my first contract in maybe 15 or 20 years. I only did that to keep the price within reason. When the contract runs out in two years who knows what my choices will be,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area