Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2021, 12:57 AM

2 posts, read 1,189 times

Advertisements

We may be considering a higher paying job opportunity in Al.

Right now we currently live in Texas about 23 minutes outside of Austin and are hoping to find a home/community similar or close to what we have since we do enjoy where we are currently as it is. Really we just want some space in our next house. We live in the burbs and our homes are tightly built next to each other.

For more context…

We have 3 children but only two to consider public schools for (the oldest is in college).
Our ideal set up would be by priority: safety, excellent school district and some land at least an acre or two or three. We wouldn’t mind driving a bit (15-20 minutes) into town for groceries, target, Walmart..etc.. if we had to- we just don’t want to be so far out that it makes running errands so challenging.
My spouse works in hospitality and we are huge foodies so having accessibility to dining out would also be great.

On that note I work in a creative field and own a brick and mortar storefront where I live now. I was considering opening a second location if we move but I’m not sure what location it would be most successful. I currently serve photographers and smaller independent businesses and online companies that need to rent space for content creation. I’m not in any “art district” specific place now, my storefront is in the burbs and we are successful it’s just that Austin is a large huge for creativity so it’s not hard to stay busy. I would really love to find a home for this business up there.

Our budget would be about 250-500k. The reason for range is that we would like to do one of two things:

A) Find an older home that we could put 150-200k into.
Or
B) Find something that already checks a lot of boxes in terms of how it’s been finished inside and out.

We’ve looked at Indian Springs, vestavia hills, Hoover, guntersville. I’m just not sure that I’m looking in the right places for the amount of space were hoping for but a lot of what these areas have as far as homes and community seem to be what we would like.
I’m also terrified of tornadoes so an area that gets the least action would make me sleep a bit better at night!

That was a mouthful! Any and all ideas, recommendations would be so appreciated thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2021, 06:33 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,100,260 times
Does the “high paying opportunity “ have a specific location or is anywhere in Alabama sufficient?

Old 06-30-2021, 02:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,189 times
We are pretty flexible on where we can go in the entire state! We maybe need to be slightly central, but mostly it’s a work from home position with travel around to the different cities a few times per month.

The job is divided up by region in the state, so if we we were to end up in the northern region we could for example live in TN if we wanted, or vice versa if it were more east we could live in Ga and drive out to AL. The chances of being more central to the state is more realistic though as that is where the demand is needed.

TIA!

Old 06-30-2021, 03:01 PM

23,608 posts, read 70,476,785 times
"Hospitality" covers a lot of ground. Motels? Fast food? Brothels?

What comes to mind is just north of Franklin TN, edging towards Nashville. There is creativity in AL, but probably not on the level you are used to all in one spot. As a hint, creativity and tourism often go hand in hand.

Old 07-01-2021, 03:25 PM

483 posts, read 631,463 times
To be "slightly central", I would recommend Birmingham. You may want to post the same thread here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/birmingham-area/

For schools I would recommend Vestavia Hills, Homewood or Mountain Brook.

Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area