Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 09:14 AM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
Whew! Thanks. Actually, I think that is what I saw (the work going on parallel to 20).
Yeah, a roundabout on 20 just wouldn't cut it.

Actually, all of Hwy 20 into Decatur is pretty dangerous because most have just come off a 70 mph freeway, onto a 50 or 55 mph 4-lane regular highway. And many - maybe most - ignore the speed limit. Would be nice if 565 was completed into Decatur, or at least to the 31 interchange. I don't think there are any plans to do such a thing though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grumpy View Post
1) Wiregrass moved to resurfacing Governor's Drive. I believe they have a year to complete the I-565 resurfacing project. This sounds like another ridiculous working day contract similar to Zierdt and Martin.

2) I haven't driven this section recently. The contractor has until late fall to finish the project.

3) The contractor isn't going to do any significant work on the Research Park lanes until work on the Old Madison Pike bridge supports and structure is completed.

4) Haven't been by the airport lately so can't offer comment.
You'd think ALDOT or the city or whoever does it would stop letting those type contracts. The resurfacing should only take a month or two if they got on it and stayed on it.

Isn't Wiregrass a little overstressed right now? You know the Zierdt Rd fiasco, but right now they have the airport resurfacing (150 ft wide by 2.5 miles long with perhaps some runout on each end, and the surface probably has tighter tolerances than a highway), Governor's Drive, the 565 resurfacing. Can't they spread the contracts around to other companies a little, even if they're out of state (I believe the rebuild of 20/59 was done by a Houston company, and it was done in a hurry)?

Old 08-26-2021, 01:24 PM

100 posts, read 112,064 times
I think ALDOT prefers to limit contracts to contractors that regularly work in Alabama. Sometimes, projects are different enough to need a contractor from out of state although they may have had the lowest bid.

Spreading work around to other contractors isn't feasible because they are all busy.

Old 08-26-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin24816 View Post
I think ALDOT prefers to limit contracts to contractors that regularly work in Alabama. Sometimes, projects are different enough to need a contractor from out of state although they may have had the lowest bid.

Spreading work around to other contractors isn't feasible because they are all busy.
Colin - where does ALDOT and the cities get all the asphalt they're using? Does Huntsville have a plant of their own, or is it being trucked in from elsewhere?

Most of the record-setting work in Birmingham used concrete unless I'm mistaken.

Old 08-26-2021, 02:54 PM

640 posts, read 698,473 times
I wonder if there is any money for our area in the infrastructure bill.

One Birmingham news station is reporting $369 million for I-422 in the bill....

https://abc3340.com/news/local/us-in...thern-beltline

Maybe we should have leaned on ALDoT to keep or put I-565 extension into the appalachian highway plan.

Old 08-26-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
I wonder if there is any money for our area in the infrastructure bill.

One Birmingham news station is reporting $369 million for I-422 in the bill....

https://abc3340.com/news/local/us-in...thern-beltline

Maybe we should have leaned on ALDoT to keep or put I-565 extension into the appalachian highway plan.
I-422 isn't needed. Period. There should be much higher priority projects in the state. You can drive straight through Birmingham most hours of the day from the 22 interchange to beyond Hoover in 15-20 minutes. Sure, there will be times when you have to stop, but most times that will be because of an accident. Another loop isn't going to help matters, in my opinion.

But the question is, will this area (north Alabama, metro Huntsville/Decatur/Madison/Athens) get any funding? If they do it'll be very little. Best I can tell, ALDOT doesn't have any big highway plans for this area.

ALDOT and the feds really need to stop trying to create economic progress in depressed areas by building roads/freeways (e.g., I-14 and 422) and concentrate on solving the issues that already exist. It's better for the state overall that way.

Old 08-27-2021, 09:06 AM

1,017 posts, read 640,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I-422 isn't needed. Period. There should be much higher priority projects in the state. You can drive straight through Birmingham most hours of the day from the 22 interchange to beyond Hoover in 15-20 minutes. Sure, there will be times when you have to stop, but most times that will be because of an accident. Another loop isn't going to help matters, in my opinion.
Like what though? The idea is to create a complete circular bypass, one complete loop. Not, "another loop." It should have been done years ago and 459 gone all the way around, but for lots of reasons it wasn't. Going straight through in 15-20 minutes is what is supposed to happen. That's GOOD. Taking some traffic off during those times and giving you another option when you can't is what a complete bypass loop does.

Quote:
ALDOT and the feds really need to stop trying to create economic progress in depressed areas by building roads/freeways (e.g., I-14 and 422)and concentrate on solving the issues that already exist. It's better for the state overall that way.
Lol at depressed area. So all of Birmingham metro is depressed and 422 is only a handout for poor people.

Nice.

Look, I get it. You guys are still popping bottles and having ticker tape parades due to the the new #1 status, but make no mistake: Birmingham is still the biggest city/metro in Alabama. It is still the most infulential area and still the economic engine of Alabama. It pushes the most traffic, sees the most truck traffic because of it's position where several interstates meet. So it's going to continue to get the most attention from ALDOT. And rightfully so.

Old 08-27-2021, 09:40 AM

2,996 posts, read 3,580,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
Like what though? The idea is to create a complete circular bypass, one complete loop. Not, "another loop." It should have been done years ago and 459 gone all the way around, but for lots of reasons it wasn't. Going straight through in 15-20 minutes is what is supposed to happen. That's GOOD. Taking some traffic off during those times and giving you another option when you can't is what a complete bypass loop does.

Lol at depressed area. So all of Birmingham metro is depressed and 422 is only a handout for poor people.

Nice.

Look, I get it. You guys are still popping bottles and having ticker tape parades due to the the new #1 status, but make no mistake: Birmingham is still the biggest city/metro in Alabama. It is still the most infulential area and still the economic engine of Alabama. It pushes the most traffic, sees the most truck traffic because of it's position where several interstates meet. So it's going to continue to get the most attention from ALDOT. And rightfully so.
You are totally wrong. No one is popping bottles or having parades. Get off your delusional attitude.
422 is a complete waste of money and won’t ever be completed. Take that money and fix 280.

Old 08-27-2021, 11:13 AM

1,017 posts, read 640,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
You are totally wrong. No one is popping bottles or having parades. Get off your delusional attitude.
422 is a complete waste of money and won’t ever be completed. Take that money and fix 280.
I have no say in where they spend that money. You can't "fix" 280, but I'm sure they'll try and that guy will complain about that too. Any money spent on roads here is a waste of money apparently. If 422 is ever completed I'll either be dead or to old to drive or care. How's that for delusional?

Old 08-27-2021, 11:45 AM

2,996 posts, read 3,580,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
I have no say in where they spend that money. You can't "fix" 280, but I'm sure they'll try and that guy will complain about that too. Any money spent on roads here is a waste of money apparently. If 422 is ever completed I'll either be dead or to old to drive or care. How's that for delusional?
Once again, aldot should focus and prioritize projects around the state that are in need. Doesn’t matter where it is. 422 is a pet project and waste of money and everyone knows it. It takes resources, time and effort away from real projects that have been delayed due to misappropriation of funds and political whims. Now back to the
parade they are having for leaving Birmingham behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area