Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would I be welcomed in Alabama?
Absolutely, southern hospitality will be felt! 21 77.78%
Perhaps, depends on who you ask. 4 14.81%
Most likely, not and you should look elsewhere. 0 0%
Not at all welcome, don't even bother to move to Alabama. 2 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,269 times

Advertisements

Good day All, name's Richard and I am new here. I'm old, retired and by myself currently residing in Washington State and looking to spend the best part of my life somewhere where I can call Home. I don't exactly care for living here in Washington State and I've been considering Alabama for a while...specifically, Huntsville and surrounding cities like Ardmore, Athens, Hartsale, Somerville, Arab, Lacey Springs... I've never been to Alabama but I know there's that special "Southern Hospitality" everyone talks about and so let me tell you a little more bout myself.

I'm 60, retired, I stick to myself..most I do is go to the grocery store, doctor's office, maybe public library once in a while. I wear a mask for covid-19 and feel most safest doing so but don't make a big deal about it either. Again, I'm a quiet old guy that minds his own business and I am just trying to see if I would even stand a chance of being welcomed in Alabama and the cities I mentioned above. I don't get into politics, don't keep up with it to tell you the truth... but again, just hoping that if I do decide to visit and ultimately make the move permanently to Alabama that I would be welcomed and not looked at as somebody who should not even think about visiting or moving to the State.

I appreciate any and all feedback you all can give an old guy like me just trying to find peace...and happiness in my old age.

Thanks all,
Richard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 06:18 AM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times
This is a very friendly and accepting place, so give it a try. Some of the places you mentioned aren't really cities - just small towns - so you might be better off closer to the Huntsville/Madison area. There's more to do, and you're closer to doctors and hospitals should you need them. I'm retired as well, but worked here my entire career and chose to stay. There are lots of retirees here, many being military, so they're close to the major offerings of Redstone Arsenal.

Old 12-13-2021, 01:13 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
OP,

Welcome. I think you'll find the Huntsville area to your liking. Like RocketDawg said, many military retirees chose to return to Huntsville after retired because it's a great city to live in. Folks around here are pretty much a "live & let live" and if you choose to be alone, they won't bother you too much.

I just have a few questions for you

1). Do you go to Church? The quickest way to get to know people and have a social network is through a church.

2). Do you hunt? like guns? That's another way to get to know people. Most men like guns here and most women been to shooting with their men so they too are knowlegeable about guns. You can see open carry occasionally in local restaurants, Costco, or Walmart. Most won't even blink an eye to it.

3). Do you like Gardening? If yes, you're in luck. Several nurseries aound town are very knowledgeable and helpful. It's a good hobby to get into especially in retirements.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Old 12-13-2021, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
OP,

Welcome. I think you'll find the Huntsville area to your liking. Like RocketDawg said, many military retirees chose to return to Huntsville after retired because it's a great city to live in. Folks around here are pretty much a "live & let live" and if you choose to be alone, they won't bother you too much.

I just have a few questions for you

1). Do you go to Church? The quickest way to get to know people and have a social network is through a church.

2). Do you hunt? like guns? That's another way to get to know people. Most men like guns here and most women been to shooting with their men so they too are knowlegeable about guns. You can see open carry occasionally in local restaurants, Costco, or Walmart. Most won't even blink an eye to it.

3). Do you like Gardening? If yes, you're in luck. Several nurseries aound town are very knowledgeable and helpful. It's a good hobby to get into especially in retirements.

Feel free to ask any questions.
I think you might have overstated that just a little.

Old 12-13-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I think you might have overstated that just a little.
Maybe I am a little bias

Old 12-13-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Maybe I am a little bias

Old 12-13-2021, 09:30 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,096,494 times
Sounds like you'll be welcomed here.

Be prepared for where do you go to church?

Also, Alabama or Auburn.

Then comes your favorite BBQ.

Come on down.

Old 12-14-2021, 07:16 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Yes, you would be welcome. But, I would say.. if you're really looking for that southern hospitality, you'll see it more in the smaller towns like Arab, Hartselle, etc. than you will in Huntsville. I moved to Huntsville Alabama in 76 (from Ct). Moved to Arab in '81, raised my children there, short stint in Lacey's Spring and then over on the other side of Hartselle to a quite rural area. Then for reasons, a few yrs ago I moved back to Huntsville to be closer to my aging parents and other reasons. Huntsville is not quite the same as when I lived here the first time. It's still a good place but I really don't see much of the southern hospitality like I did the first time around and probably because there aren't near as many natives left here. Huntsville is full of transplants now. But, Arab and Hartselle... loaded with it. We lived close to town in Arab and I honestly don't know if I could have come up with a better place to have raised my kids... sort of that "Mayberry" feel and just a hop, skip and a jump to Hsv. Lacey's Spring is good if you want quiet but close to Huntsville. It's just a sparsely populated place that you pass thru between Huntsville and Arab for the most part.

That all being said (only from my own personal experience) I can't think of anywhere in Alabama where you wouldn't be welcomed.

Old 12-14-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
We lived close to town in Arab and I honestly don't know if I could have come up with a better place to have raised my kids... sort of that "Mayberry" feel
Sounds wonderful but my wife refused to live on a street without street lights

Old 12-14-2021, 04:28 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,904,667 times
Quote:
Sounds wonderful but my wife refused to live on a street without street lights
That might prove difficult in a lot of areas especially in non-developed subdivisions. We live in a rural sub-division, street lights....what are those things???
Just a note, through your electric company you can have your own personal street light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area