Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 02:22 PM

653 posts, read 589,142 times

Advertisements

On the surface it does sound like Huntsville Blue Bloods complaining about their views being blocked. The increased traffic, while empirically correct, is laughable. My own neighborhood has a few more lots than the stated 64 this neighborhood will have and also only has once entrance/exit and the 'traffic' is negligible.

Some have spoke of the proposed style. To each there own; however, I've lived in a neighborhood in PA. that had similar styled homes. That was back in the 1970's; hardly 'modern'. Granted it was western PA so maybe that carries some clout. Likewise stayed in an Airbnb in North Carolina that was dated (1980's) but the outside looked much like the artist renderings. Upscaled? No, it's just the style of the area.

No worries, I won't complain how the proposed houses or the existing homes in the area don't look like those in Coconut Grove, Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, Lighthouse Point, Boca Raton, or Palm Beach. Maybe I'll raise the enlightenment of those here by building a south FL style of house.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2022, 03:00 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,215,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVAeroEngineer View Post
I know the Telluride area well, I used to ski and hike in that area often.

I have no idea where you are getting your information from but last July, the median home price in Telluride was $3.8 million.

Easily, one of my top 5 favorite small towns in the US.
City-data, U.S. census, Wikipedia to name a few. You do realize there's a difference between the full time residents of the town and the multi-millionaires who own property in the surrounding area, right? The real point is that it is absurd to compare a tiny resort town to an average city.

Old 09-03-2022, 06:03 PM

130 posts, read 105,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
City-data, U.S. census, Wikipedia to name a few. You do realize there's a difference between the full time residents of the town and the multi-millionaires who own property in the surrounding area, right? The real point is that it is absurd to compare a tiny resort town to an average city.
I don't think you quite understand how a ski town works. Vast majority of people who work at the ski resort are seasonal workers- many are from abroad and other states, they only "live" in town between usually December and April- the ski resort usually closes first week of April, so they live within the boundaries of the ski resort in employee provided housing, it is called Big Billie's Apartments

No one working at the ski resort seasonally would ever be able to afford to live in town or in the county(San Juan)- People in managerial and permanent positions may but there are very few permanent positions in a ski resort.

I am not sure what methodology they used do their Census but the numbers you are presenting do not make a lot sense- in other words, Telluride is a very wealthy area.

Old 09-03-2022, 08:34 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,215,313 times
Quote:
I don't think you quite understand how a ski town works. Vast majority of people who work at the ski resort are seasonal workers- many are from abroad and other states, they only "live" in town between usually December and April- the ski resort usually closes first week of April, so they live within the boundaries of the ski resort in employee provided housing, it is called Big Billie's Apartments

No one working at the ski resort seasonally would ever be able to afford to live in town or in the county(San Juan)- People in managerial and permanent positions may but there are very few permanent positions in a ski resort.

I am not sure what methodology they used do their Census but the numbers you are presenting do not make a lot sense- in other words, Telluride is a very wealthy area.
I grew up in Colorado, so I am more than well versed in how ski towns work.

I never said Telluride wasn't wealthy.

As far as "their" census, it's called the government.

Old 09-03-2022, 09:12 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:

Having grown up a dozen miles from the original "ski town" in the United States, I can say with absolute certainty what a town that is based upon a ski economy is like to those who live there. I can also say with certainty that you and your attitude would have been run out on a rail, with you tarred and feathered and the rail suitably enhanced with splinters.

We need to set straight a few misconceptions.

1. Views. As a matter of fact, this development is uphill of the other subdivision and cannot, no matter how hard it tries, block their view of the valley below. Most of us in Alabama understand the difference between insane people with too much money who build uphill of us and those who build downhill of us. Our views are not affected when the rich from other states build above us. What we object to is the condescension and attempts at oppression that flow downhill from their supercilious attitudes. Those stink. Taxation is not a cure for invasion.

2. Traffic. High density development is completely different from single family dwellings in the state of Alabama. I understand that it is different in Telluride, where "high density" refers to the numbers of available "babes" for high rollers... ... or was that the density of brains? Here is a wonderful example of how out-of-staters who come to Alabama react when their precious children are TRAPPED in a traffic jam around a school.

https://www.facebook.com/mcsosheriffAL

Scroll down to the very polite post requesting parents to use Joe Quick Road. The whining from the terminally entitled is almost as entertaining as a new poster here. Clue, for those who still have a brain - traffic issues are real.

Old 09-04-2022, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

Scroll down to the very polite post requesting parents to use Joe Quick Road. The whining from the terminally entitled is almost as entertaining as a new poster here. Clue, for those who still have a brain - traffic issues are real.
See you see that as "whining from the terminally entitled"- I see as constructive feedback that could be used to find solutions to improve issues that are not just in the minds of all those "entitled" people-they are real issues.

You can can continue to take it personally and get offended or you can listen to them and try to understand where they are coming from.

Yesterday, I drove from Montgomery to here and I was paying close attention to all the litter along I-65. I have traveled to a lot of places including several Third World countries and I have never seen the amount of litter along the highways I have seen here in Alabama not even in places like Mexico, Brazil or Costa Rica.

They can keep raising fines but I am afraid that is not going to solve the problem-what is really missing here is education and pride.

I saw a car tire on the side of the highway about halfway between here and Birmingham- I tried to walk through the scenario where a person would think it is OK to do that- I could not get myself to even understand it because it does not make any sense.

Even if you do not find a immediate place to dispose of that tire, a "normal" person would put the tire in the trunk of their car or back of the pickup truck until they find a proper place to dispose of it.

My theory, it is probably a combination of ignorance, laziness, low self esteem and lack of pride.

Old 09-04-2022, 06:37 AM

294 posts, read 235,606 times
As a native Alabamian (as few of us as there are in Hsv) I will say I agree with you on the litter. I have never had a time where I felt I couldn't carry my trash in my car until I came to some place to properly dispose of it (including poopy diapers). I don't understand that mindset either.

As far as other things, one thing I hope you learn during your time here is something we Southerners specialize in, that is kindness and politeness. Maybe you just don't see what you have been saying, or how you are saying it, but most of your posts are condescending to those of us from here and others who have learned to love it here. No one will want to hear your ideas if you project the attitude of "you are as dumb as a stick and I am going to educate you because I'm smarter and my ways are better," no matter whether you consider it constructive criticism or a new way to see things. You need to learn to respect others. We do not need to learn how to fit into our culture. You do.

Besides, you will soon learn that those you refer to as yokels will know things you do not. My best example is once I was working with my father... he was very smart but didn't have the opportunity for much college. I had finished my engineering degree. I showed him an idea for doing something, and teased him saying "that's Engineering!" Not long after, he showed me a better way to do the same thing, and said "that's country boy common horse sense."

Old 09-04-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
As a native Alabamian (as few of us as there are in Hsv) I will say I agree with you on the litter. I have never had a time where I felt I couldn't carry my trash in my car until I came to some place to properly dispose of it (including poopy diapers). I don't understand that mindset either.

As far as other things, one thing I hope you learn during your time here is something we Southerners specialize in, that is kindness and politeness. Maybe you just don't see what you have been saying, or how you are saying it, but most of your posts are condescending to those of us from here and others who have learned to love it here. No one will want to hear your ideas if you project the attitude of "you are as dumb as a stick and I am going to educate you because I'm smarter and my ways are better," no matter whether you consider it constructive criticism or a new way to see things. You need to learn to respect others. We do not need to learn how to fit into our culture. You do.

Besides, you will soon learn that those you refer to as yokels will know things you do not. My best example is once I was working with my father... he was very smart but didn't have the opportunity for much college. I had finished my engineering degree. I showed him an idea for doing something, and teased him saying "that's Engineering!" Not long after, he showed me a better way to do the same thing, and said "that's country boy common horse sense."
Like I said, there are a lot of things I like about living here so far. I could have taken a job in CA making more there however the culture in most of California right now is total crap- I detest Liberalism and this ungodly, morally decadent culture that is becoming the standard culture in most Western states.

I have a brother in Reno, NV and I tried to convince him to move here- I think in his mind, it does not matter how much I try to explain that this is a good area- in his mind, he still thinks of Alabama as a backwards, undesirable place to move to- so I have been engaged in a constant, almost tireless effort to educate people about this state and having to dispel a lot of myths and misconceptions.

Two days ago, my Mom sent me a link about a story she saw on CNN about a Black man who got arrested for watering the neighbors flowers in some small town called Childersburg- so I did my best to explain to her that it is not something common here, that it could have happened in other places, etc but then I realized that, getting defensive about things like that may not be the best approach.

My Mom is far from being an uneducated person but even to try to explain all the good things I see about living here so far- I am not sure she quite understands it yet- so it is very frustrating.

Last edited by HSVAeroEngineer; 09-04-2022 at 08:33 AM..

Old 09-04-2022, 08:42 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,875,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
...one thing I hope you learn during your time here is something we Southerners specialize in, that is kindness and politeness. Maybe you just don't see what you have been saying, or how you are saying it, but most of your posts are condescending to those of us from here and others who have learned to love it here. No one will want to hear your ideas if you project the attitude of "you are as dumb as a stick and I am going to educate you because I'm smarter and my ways are better," no matter whether you consider it constructive criticism or a new way to see things. You need to learn to respect others. We do not need to learn how to fit into our culture. You do.
Nice try d, trying to school a narcissist. Will never happen. I say we tar and feather him and run him out of town.

He's no aero engineer. He's little more than a smarmy speculator/developer.

He has no concept of what it means when people call him a carpetbagger who is swooping in to make a buck off those whom he thinks are hillbillies that are beneath him.

Old 09-04-2022, 08:46 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,875,918 times
Quote:
I have a brother in Reno, NV and I tried to convince him to move here- I think in his mind, it does not matter how much I try to explain that this is a good area- in his mind, he still thinks of Alabama as a backwards, undesirable place to move to- so I have been engaged in a constant, almost tireless effort to educate people about this state and having to dispel a lot of myths and misconceptions.
Oh please. Just stop. You've shown everyone here what you really think of Alabamians. And you just keep grinding the point home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area