Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 05:54 PM

13,061 posts, read 9,585,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
The WSJ (Wall Street Journal) is sill available for delivery in the Huntsville area in certain zip codes - I know for Madison, zip code 35758, it is and I am pretty confident that in the City of Huntsville, the 35801, 35802 and the Hampton Cove neighborhoods (with an Owens Crossroads address) are receiving the print edition every morning, too. There could be some additional areas like 35803, the Village of Providence and NE Huntsville where it is delivered in the mornings, too.

For those not living in those (higher income) zip codes, the WSJ is delivered by the USPS in the afternoon mail.
Presumably the papers for non-NYC customers are printed remotely and not in New York. The Times got rid of their printing press years ago - the 3 day editions were printed in B'ham and brought here as I understand it. But now, since the B'ham paper is going all digital as well, they'll have presumably have no used for their press.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 06:49 AM

765 posts, read 1,113,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Presumably the papers for non-NYC customers are printed remotely and not in New York. The Times got rid of their printing press years ago - the 3 day editions were printed in B'ham and brought here as I understand it. But now, since the B'ham paper is going all digital as well, they'll have presumably have no used for their press.
You're right that the papers are printed remotely all over the country so that people can receive the papers early in the morning and not wait for them to be flown in from NYC. In fact, the guy who delivers the Wall Street Journal has to drive to Chattanooga six mornings a week to pick up the papers. That's a whole lot of driving very early in the morning because there are some mornings it's delivered before 5 AM!

Old 02-11-2023, 06:57 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,112,418 times
Parents brought over last Sunday's Huntsville Times and whether it remains only virtual or not is irrelevant.

Best part was the comics section. The couple pages of local news bashing school choice without mentioning any positives. Hospitals need money because of Covid. Opinion section covered racism, more Covid, and trump and more trump. Money section bashed fossil fuels in advocating for heat pumps… no mention of rising electricity rates. Sports section was the largest section

Old 02-11-2023, 03:12 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,598,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Parents brought over last Sunday's Huntsville Times and whether it remains only virtual or not is irrelevant.

Best part was the comics section. The couple pages of local news bashing school choice without mentioning any positives. Hospitals need money because of Covid. Opinion section covered racism, more Covid, and trump and more trump. Money section bashed fossil fuels in advocating for heat pumps… no mention of rising electricity rates. Sports section was the largest section
Why would anyone want to subscribe to that? If someone wanted that kind of far left propaganda you would be be better off subscribing to the NY Times.

Old 02-12-2023, 06:53 AM

295 posts, read 238,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
Why would anyone want to subscribe to that? If someone wanted that kind of far left propaganda you would be be better off subscribing to the NY Times.
Honestly, because I like being retired, sitting in my sunroom looking out into my backyard, sipping my morning coffee, and reading the newspaper (even if it is now on my laptop). The opinion pages are mostly leftist, but you learn the names of the liberal, hating columnists and skip over them without bothering to read them, and just leisurely reading the local news (and some regional, national, and world news). And like Johnsonkk said, best part is the comics. And lots of Crimson Tide sports (yeah, they give equal time to the Tigers).

I do hate that I no longer get the paper version, or even the scanned-in copy of the paper version, because it had much more content than the Lede. But I guess you can't keep publishing if it is only the old guys like me buying. I also miss being able to look at the Lowes/Home Depot/etc. sale flyers. I know I can find them online, but I have to go look for them. But as a point, there are no ads in the Lede.

I can afford to pay 2 bucks a week for this pleasure.

Old 02-12-2023, 07:56 AM

13,061 posts, read 9,585,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
Honestly, because I like being retired, sitting in my sunroom looking out into my backyard, sipping my morning coffee, and reading the newspaper (even if it is now on my laptop). The opinion pages are mostly leftist, but you learn the names of the liberal, hating columnists and skip over them without bothering to read them, and just leisurely reading the local news (and some regional, national, and world news). And like Johnsonkk said, best part is the comics. And lots of Crimson Tide sports (yeah, they give equal time to the Tigers).

I do hate that I no longer get the paper version, or even the scanned-in copy of the paper version, because it had much more content than the Lede. But I guess you can't keep publishing if it is only the old guys like me buying. I also miss being able to look at the Lowes/Home Depot/etc. sale flyers. I know I can find them online, but I have to go look for them. But as a point, there are no ads in the Lede.

I can afford to pay 2 bucks a week for this pleasure.
Yeah, it would be nice if it was the scanned version. At least it would sorta LOOK like a newspaper. I don't subscribe to the Lede but I think I will. Much like this subforum, it helps keep up on local developments. I also recommend "The Huntsville Business Journal". It's just sort of getting started really, but your subscription gets daily updates plus a monthly "real" paper mailed that actually has more articles than the online version. Plus, it's helping out a local business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area