Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 12:18 PM

27 posts, read 109,890 times

Advertisements

Could someone please tell me some good family friendly subdivisons to look for in Madison (in or out of city limits). We are relocating next month and my husband will be working on University Pkwy (near mall). I will be staying home with the kids ages 3 and 1, so a community pool would be nice Also, can you compare Madison to Monrovia or Harvest? I have been to the area twice but would still like advice or comments.
Thanks! Also, we are wanting to spend around $250,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 12:27 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
We did some of this research.

Highland Lakes
Clifts Cove
Heritage Plantation

Not sure if all of these subdivisions will have housing in your price range. I am almost certain they all have the community pool.

Here are other subdivisions (not sure they all have a pool) and the schools (I think there is a mistake, I forgot which one, on one of the schools as pointed out by another City Data poster):

Highland Lakes
Horizon (k-4), Discovery, Bob Jones High School

Rainbow Landing
rainbow, discovery, bobjones

Stoneridge

Clifts Cove

Biltmore Bend
Heritage, Liberty (7-9), Bob Jones High School

Carriage Hill
Madison (k-6), Discovery, Bob Jones High School

Whitehall

Old 06-10-2008, 01:38 PM

7 posts, read 18,768 times
Default Madison Subs

Hello! Welcome to town me and my husband just moved here 3 months ago and we are looking for the same thing you are. No kids yet, but the neighborhoods that we have looked in with the 250 range will be

Liberty Knoll
Liberty Square
Jacqueline Downs
Lexington

There are quite a few houses for sale in each of those places right now and the prices are pretty good. We haven't quite found the right one yet, but there are a lot of options. The other neighborhoods that Charles mention are a quite a bit above the 250 price range. They are really nice though.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:31 PM

482 posts, read 990,541 times
The people above have listed some nice ones.

Madison, Monrovia, and Harvest are all pretty nice places. Madison will generally be the most expensive $/sqft and closer to the "city amenities," but you probably wouldn't go wrong with either of the three. You might want to take a look at East Limestone too. More home for the money and only about 3-5 miles outside of Madison for the larger neighborhoods.

There are a few realtor websites where you can search homes by subdivision when you get it narrowed down! Good luck.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:55 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
Check valleymls.com, it is a good starting place.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:09 PM

426 posts, read 1,272,296 times
I believe your money will go much farther in Monrovia and/or Harvest area than Madison especially in the price range you indicate. The newer homes (and higher dollar) in Madison are nice but there is a lot of 3/4 brick and use of vinyl and Masonite (or whatever that engineered hardi-plank stuff is) in the homes that are a bit older. From a traffic perspective, if he will be working near the Madison Square Mall area, you'd be better off being north of Highway 72 where you can use roads like Old Monrovia, Blake Bottom, Douglas etc. to feed into Research Park Blvd. than you would trying to come out of Madison and haveing to use Highway 72. I'm not sure which subdivisions have community pool but Indian Creek Cove and Magnolia Springs come to mind. I think maybe Amber's Crossing, too, but I'm not positive on that one. These three though, may all be a bit above your price range--you'll have to check. I'm not keen on Limestone County at this point as the building code inspection/enforcement is questionable and indications are that you would be paying the full property tax rate, but not exactly getting all the services--especially if you are in Huntsville.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:39 PM

871 posts, read 2,884,381 times
We live in Walden off of Browns Ferry Rd in Madison and love it. We also have a Jr. Olympic Pool. Our web-site is Walden Homeowners Association. Check the ValleyMLS. Fairly new resale houses start in the 290s and go up in the 500s. There is one for sale right now for $299K that just went on the market. Here it is on the map: Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible

Last edited by autobahn; 06-11-2008 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: Add map

Old 06-12-2008, 12:33 PM

280 posts, read 686,343 times
I agree that you will get more for your $ in Harvest or Monrovia, just be sure to verify the school district before doing anything. I have 2 small children (4&6) and we just moved to Harvest. Unfortunately no pool in our community, but tons of kids, and we got a membership to Dublin Park to swim. Magnolia Springs might fit your needs, I just did a quick MLS search and there are 11 homes for sale under $250K in Magnolia Springs. There are some older communities in the same area that you could have your own pool for that price, if that interests you.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:24 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieJJones View Post
....we got a membership to Dublin Park to swim.....
Dublin Park is nice. Not too long ago they added the outdoor pool (it still isn't there on some aerial mapping websites). The indoor pool is nice with it's retractable roof. I'd be lap swimming along side the BJHS swim team as they work out there.

Plus there's a really nice full gym there to shoot hoops. BJHS basketball uses this gym for their practice. They booted me out once.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:47 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,056 times
I agree with gsp and Melanie about the Harvest / Monrovia area. I live in Magnolia Springs and really like it. We have 2 stocked lakes, walking trails, a jr. olympic size swimming pool, a separate pool for the little ones, club house, play ground etc. The HOA fee is $300/yr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area