Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2008, 11:05 AM

482 posts, read 990,928 times

Advertisements

I've been tossing around the idea for a few days now, of starting a site dedicated to the Huntsville Metro Builders. The purpose of the site would be for consumers to select a builder that they have worked with, and rate that builder based on several levels of criteria (I've thought about throwing subdivisions into the idea, too). Then, people contemplating using one of the builders or areas can view first-hand what others think, as well as give other Realtors a place to send people for better info than what they can give.

This way, people wanting to know more about a particular builder have a place to do so that is devoted strictly to the Huntsville Area.

Here's my only problem. People tend to vent more when something bad happens, than when something good happens. Say a builder sold 1,000 homes, and he had an issue with 10 people for whatever reason, those 10 are more likely to post a review than the 990 satisfied customers. I don't want the site to become only half the story. (I'm not saying that's the case by any means, it's just a thought)

What do you guys think? Should it be done? Do you have any suggestions you might like to see developed with this idea?

Thanks in advance,
Seth Parker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 02:26 PM

763 posts, read 3,836,134 times
I agree that people are going to vent a lot more when they are unhappy than they are to write a compliment when they are pleased. This is especially true with a home: a) because you live in it and b) because it is the most expensive thing you buy....

I know one of the finest homebuilders in the Southeast. People have come on this site to compliment him...but he will be the first to tell you that from time to time you get ahold of a buyer who simply will not be satisfied, not matter how many reasonable things you do....and then out come the lawyers. I've heard him spend $50,000 on arguing with a buyer about six inches of property line that was not properly surveyed when doing a title search....he had offered the owner $25,000 just to be done with it and the guy wouldn't budge. Got a lawyer over an issue of SIX INCHES....

Don't get me wrong, exposing bad builders and bringing to the light of day good builders would be valuable but I think you would have to be careful how you constructed your ratings scales.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:45 PM

The way I was thinking about rating was something like this (but not these exactly):

Quality of Work: *****
Pricing: *****
Quality of Materials: *****

Just a star-rating system covering certain qualities of a home. Then maybe a comment explanation box at the bottom.

You are right, there is a very tough line to straddle. I know several of whom I would consider the best builders in the area, and they've all had some of those "customers who can't be pleased."

I see the merit of the idea, I'm just not sold on how to execute it fairly and properly.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:30 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I can tell you, you better talk to a lawyer before setting anything like that up. There are liability issues. That is why on City-Data we do not allow ppl to write out nasty complaints. They can and will take you to court.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:35 PM

Keeper,
That's what I was worried about. I really want a way to "review" builders and their work, but I want it to be unbiased and truthful. I've even thought about letting people just upload photos of their work, but who's to say someone can't upload a fraudulent or misleading photo?

Old 07-29-2008, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,092 times
yes well I am going through an awful builder experience and would of loved to have any imput from anyone on the builder we got mixed up with.. yes we checked his refrences but they have turn out to be family members and some Alabama counties don't have county building inspectors and you the homeowner are responsible for knowing building codes and seeing that your builder is abiding by them. so a rating system for builders would be wonderful I wouldnt limit it to Just one area

Old 08-01-2008, 06:58 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,502 times
Isn't that what the BBB is for? And we can always private message re: builders if we are interested in learning more about the them.

Keeper is right. Not worth the risk of being sued. Check BBB, know that building brings a host of headaches with it even if the builder is solid and good because it's your house and you want it to be perfect (it never is--that's why we did a spec house), and it feels so personal.

I have a punch list for my builder. I am rating each item to be fixed on a "headache to me scale and is it worth it to me to fix it?" If the headache to me is minor and the item needing attention is highly necessary, then I will make the appropriate requests. Some things, like 6 inches of property (ahem... don't get me started with men and inches haha), just aren't worth having migraines.

JMO

Old 08-01-2008, 01:24 PM

The issue with the BBB is that only a small percentage of problems ever reach their door. My experience is: If there's one problem with someone on the BBB site, there are at least 10 others that never made it.

The more I thought about it, the less I liked the idea of the site, for liability reasons. I still like the idea of a star rating for different qualities like Professionalism, Quality of Work, Timeliness, Fixing Warranty Work, etc. But with no user comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglover View Post
Isn't that what the BBB is for? And we can always private message re: builders if we are interested in learning more about the them.

Keeper is right. Not worth the risk of being sued. Check BBB, know that building brings a host of headaches with it even if the builder is solid and good because it's your house and you want it to be perfect (it never is--that's why we did a spec house), and it feels so personal.

I have a punch list for my builder. I am rating each item to be fixed on a "headache to me scale and is it worth it to me to fix it?" If the headache to me is minor and the item needing attention is highly necessary, then I will make the appropriate requests. Some things, like 6 inches of property (ahem... don't get me started with men and inches haha), just aren't worth having migraines.

JMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area