Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 09:32 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,702 times

Advertisements

The Hampton Cove area is one of the fastest growing areas in all of Hsv / Madison County. It is also getting to be one of the most expensive.

You can live in Owens Crossroads, and still have Hampton Cove schools. Well actually you do need to be careful, because only the northern part of Owens Crossroads have Hampton Cove schools. You still get most of the perks, without paying the Hampton Cove price.

It is a great area, convenient to downtown Hsv and the Arsenal. Gorgeous views of the mountains (big hills).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 08:50 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
In Hampton Cove, (I'd be impressed if anyone who doesn't live in HC could answer all of these questions):

Do (all of) the streets have fire hydrants?
What basic (CNN, ESPN, History, Discovery, etc.) cable service is available and is analog only (the kind you can split with 3dB splitters everywhere in your house) available? I like old fashioned analog because you can change channels really fast versus digital and its one second refresh - hate it. And I really hate having to need a converter box.
Does the cable service provide internet? Anyone measured throughputs? (My current service sucks at like 1.5M.)
Anyone know the street water pressure service to the houses? In LA it was 120psi and we'd use a pressure regulator so the inside of the house got like 50-60psi. But the garden hose was upstream of the pressure regulator so you had this powerful hose to clean up around the yard.
Do the basements use sump pumps?
What's the advantage/disadvantage of crawlspace versus slab?
Are gas dryers much more popular than electric dryers?
Are homes in the 4000 sqft and up range equipped with two five ton A/Cs?
Does the Hampton House have childcare service for my wife when she works out? Is it free?
When (what months) is the pool at Hampton House open? (Sorry for asking but HH never answers their phone and their web site is useless.)
How close to buildout is HC? What subdivisions are still expanding?
What is planned for Andrew Road up and north from Caldwell Lane?
Where can I get a HC subdivision map or master plan? I can't believe it isn't out there somewhere.
Is it Huntsville City Police Department South Precinct and Huntsville City Fire Department that serves HC?

Last edited by Charles; 04-06-2008 at 09:58 PM..

Old 04-06-2008, 08:56 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,949 times
Hello,
Just wondering what development you are in. Do you have access to a community pool? I have 4 young girls, so I am also looking for a larger home and, although Hampton Cove seems quite lovely, I would like to gather information on other similar subdivisions as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kash96 View Post
We moved here and picked the Hampton Cove area because of the schools. You can go to GreatSchools.net to check it out. Anyhow, we've been here for about 7 months and I couldn't be happier. I love the schools, I love the people, I love how safe I feel, there's nothing bad I can even begin to think to say about Hampton Cove. We actually live on the "other side" of 431, so not in the Hampton Cove subdivision, but our kids to go the Hampton Cove schools, and we do our recreation, etc with those in the Hampton Cove subdivision. The difference is you get much more house for the money on the other side of 431 and the yearly HOA fees are much less. The houses are newer here, too. THe only downside is you don't have access to Hampton House, which I would love to have, but there were no houses that met my requirements when we bought (I have a large family and need a larger home). They're also going to be building a brand new elementary school in 2-3 years on our side of the tracks (just across the street from my subdivision actually). Hope this helps!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:38 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,744 times
I'll take a crack at some of these answers.

I haven't driven every street in the area but I believe so. The city of HSV has certain requisites for new developments - they must have sidewalks with parkways, underground utilities, fire hydrants every x yards, or whatever.

What basic (CNN, ESPN, History, Discovery, etc.) cable service is available and is analog only

You get Comcast and I have no idea whether analog is available - we like digital because all the TV we watch is recorded DVR. We watch almost nothing live. We have basic and I'm not sure the entire package but it includes all the channels you mention. I pretty much watch the Sci Fi channel and History channel only on cable. We love DVR and wouldn't live without it, but the Comcast DVR we have is, as my husband would say "a complete piece of ****." It works more or less, however.

Does the cable service provide internet?

Yes. In fact, in the newer neighborhoods, cable is your only choice. I get crazy good download speeds, ok upload speeds. I don't remember what I'm "supposed" to get. I'm in a new development though so who knows how it will settle out. When I had the same broadband service in an apt complex more towards the middle of HSV, it was terrible. It is generally my experience that in highly dense areas DSL is better (i.e. apartments or, say, Los Angeles), but here cable has been smoove.

Anyone know the street water pressure service to the houses?

I don't know the water pressure in PSI but it's high enough in this area where almost all homes have pressure regulators to keep it from being TOO high.

Basements? You won't find many basements, and when you do, in the nice new HC homes they are sort of pseudo-basements that are only built because the house is built on a slope. All such Hampton Cove "basements" I have seen are are finished parts of the home that as far as I am concerned are pretty much a third story on a tri-level home. The portion of the "basement" next to the slope is usually storage.

Same as anywhere else. Obviously a crawlspace makes it easier to get under the house to address issues with pipes, etc. However crawlspaces make the house more noisy, and provides a home for critters.

No. In fact, most new homes are built with electric hookups only. This is because we get our electricity from the Tennessee Valley Authority and it's cheap. Dirt cheap. I am boggled by how cheap the electricity is. Our electricity bill is less than half of what it was in California, in spite of having electric heating, electric gas dyer, electric EVERYTHING, and house that is 30% bigger. I can't even wrap my brain around how that works. Go go nuclear power! (and I say that as an environmentalist more than as a frugal consumer. Seriously.)

I believe so. Our house is 3400 sq feet and we have two.

Does the Hampton House have childcare service for my wife when she works out? Is it free?

I don't think Hampton House has childcare but don't quote me on that. The Wellness center will when it opens (and many neighbors of mine drive over the mountain to a wellness center not far over there, and they have playcare included in membership.)

Of course, remember this is not Colorado. She has another option that she doesn't in Colorado - do what I do and get up in the morning and jog while the kids eat breakfast.

When (what months) is the pool at Hampton House open?

Not sure about the Hampton House pool but my HOA opens our pool from May-September. I'd think HC's would be similar.

Is it Huntsville City Police Department South Precinct and Huntsville City Fire Department that serves HC? Is HC even in the City of Huntsville?

Yes. Your mailing address may be "Owens Cross Roads" because it is served by the OXR post office (postal zoning is federal and zones can cross city lines), but you are still in the city of Huntsville and afforded all city services, zoned for city schools, etc.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
I'll take a crack at some of these answers.

I haven't driven every street in the area but I believe so. The city of HSV has certain requisites for new developments - they must have sidewalks with parkways, underground utilities, fire hydrants every x yards, or whatever.

What basic (CNN, ESPN, History, Discovery, etc.) cable service is available and is analog only

You get Comcast and I have no idea whether analog is available - we like digital because all the TV we watch is recorded DVR. We watch almost nothing live. We have basic and I'm not sure the entire package but it includes all the channels you mention. I pretty much watch the Sci Fi channel and History channel only on cable. We love DVR and wouldn't live without it, but the Comcast DVR we have is, as my husband would say "a complete piece of ****." It works more or less, however.

Does the cable service provide internet?

Yes. In fact, in the newer neighborhoods, cable is your only choice. I get crazy good download speeds, ok upload speeds. I don't remember what I'm "supposed" to get. I'm in a new development though so who knows how it will settle out. When I had the same broadband service in an apt complex more towards the middle of HSV, it was terrible. It is generally my experience that in highly dense areas DSL is better (i.e. apartments or, say, Los Angeles), but here cable has been smoove.

Anyone know the street water pressure service to the houses?

I don't know the water pressure in PSI but it's high enough in this area where almost all homes have pressure regulators to keep it from being TOO high.

Basements? You won't find many basements, and when you do, in the nice new HC homes they are sort of pseudo-basements that are only built because the house is built on a slope. All such Hampton Cove "basements" I have seen are are finished parts of the home that as far as I am concerned are pretty much a third story on a tri-level home. The portion of the "basement" next to the slope is usually storage.

Same as anywhere else. Obviously a crawlspace makes it easier to get under the house to address issues with pipes, etc. However crawlspaces make the house more noisy, and provides a home for critters.

No. In fact, most new homes are built with electric hookups only. This is because we get our electricity from the Tennessee Valley Authority and it's cheap. Dirt cheap. I am boggled by how cheap the electricity is. Our electricity bill is less than half of what it was in California, in spite of having electric heating, electric gas dyer, electric EVERYTHING, and house that is 30% bigger. I can't even wrap my brain around how that works. Go go nuclear power! (and I say that as an environmentalist more than as a frugal consumer. Seriously.)

I believe so. Our house is 3400 sq feet and we have two.

I don't think Hampton House has childcare but don't quote me on that. The Wellness center will when it opens (and many neighbors of mine drive over the mountain to a wellness center not far over there, and they have playcare included in membership.)

Of course, remember this is not Colorado. She has another option that she doesn't in Colorado - do what I do and get up in the morning and jog while the kids eat breakfast.

When (what months) is the pool at Hampton House open?

Not sure about the Hampton House pool but my HOA opens our pool from May-September. I'd think HC's would be similar.

Is it Huntsville City Police Department South Precinct and Huntsville City Fire Department that serves HC? Is HC even in the City of Huntsville?

Yes. Your mailing address may be "Owens Cross Roads" because it is served by the OXR post office (postal zoning is federal and zones can cross city lines), but you are still in the city of Huntsville and afforded all city services, zoned for city schools, etc.
That was a great response. Thank you.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post

This is turning out to be annoying. I am in the process of updating my mailing addresses online (credit cards, employer, brokerages, insurance, etc.) The "system" will not accept Huntsville and 35763. It did accept "Hampton Cove". There is no such city as Hampton Cove. I will live in the City of Huntsville.

We never put a man on the moon.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:27 AM

117 posts, read 446,708 times
Charles,

I talked to the post office and they said the legal address is Owens Crossroads. The post office for our zipcode is Owens Crossroads. We opened a PO Box until our house will be completed in November and this is what the post master told us. He did say if a letter is address with the Hampton Cove address on it, but has the Owens Crossroads zip it will get delivered. On the other hand when we got our DL we had our new address in Hampton Cove put on it was not rejected.They mailed the DL to our PO box with our HC address on it.

See you next week!
Your new neighbor in HC!

Old 08-09-2008, 07:58 PM

296 posts, read 694,013 times
Drove through Hamtpon Cove for first time today. Actually, took 72 out to Gurley and worked our way back to 431 down Little Cove/Eastern Bypass. Really enjoyed the neighborhoods and saw some nice houses along with a number of overpriced houses. What we didn't see was much in the way of shopping. Corner of 431/Old 431 had a Publix, Lowes, and Walmart but not much more. Where do all the people that live along Eastern Bypass shop? Are the closest department stores at the mall on Memorial near downtown? Where are the car dealers? Where are simple things such as movie theaters and bowling? How about a liquor store? Do you really need to drive "long" distances for everything if you live in Hampton Cove?

We came back down Sutton over the mountain and ended up on Airport; is this the shortest route to Redstone? Is going up 431 to Governors the best way to get to 565?

thanks,

Marc

Old 08-09-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc45002 View Post
What we didn't see was much in the way of shopping. Corner of 431/Old 431 had a Publix, Lowes, and Walmart but not much more. Where do all the people that live along Eastern Bypass shop? Are the closest department stores at the mall on Memorial near downtown? Where are the car dealers? Where are simple things such as movie theaters and bowling? How about a liquor store? Do you really need to drive "long" distances for everything if you live in Hampton Cove?

Is going up 431 to Governors the best way to get to 565?
About the shopping, yes your questions are reasonable; there isn't much there besides the Lowes, Walmart, the Publix, a couple of banks, a couple of store front businesses, and a couple of restaurants. My guess is people in Big Cove (Hampton Cove) will drive west and north to retail rather than the other way around. But the drive isn't that bad over to the west to the Target or to the north towards the medical district up 431. There is another mini mall or two planned on the NE corner of Sutton and 431 called Brookestone or something like that. I guess you could say the 85% of what you need is there but not everything and definitely not a lot of selection or competition - example preschools.

Also, the Hampton Cove Publix is in need of a makeover - one would expect a little cleaning up in there. Walmart's grocery is the only immediate competition to Publix.

As far as big things like car dealers, there probably are not enough people in the Big Cove area to support them. Other than Hampton Cove and a few smaller clusters of subdivisions, it is practically rural.

Now, today we drove to the mall on Drake and Memorial via 431-California- Whitesburg. It was easy and very fast. Nice mall too.

Yes, the best way to 565 is 431 to Memorial: not many lights, hardly any traffic even with the construction near the hospital, scenic, and well illuminated.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:47 PM

296 posts, read 694,013 times
Charles, thanks!

So what is the real draw to Hampton Cove? The "mountain" views? The fact that zip code 35763 is 93% white? I thought that there were walking trails but didn't see them within the individual subdivisions; are there a lot of walking and biking trails in the area that are "walkable" or "bikeable" from the home instead of having to drive? We are moving from Tokyo where we haven't owned a car for two years; the thought of having to drive everywhere is a bit much.

thanks,

Marc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area