Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:19 PM

482 posts, read 990,928 times

Advertisements

The vote is being held right now whenever a Realtor logs into the MLS for WHETHER OR NOT to display addresses on all websites, including Realtor.com, Valleymls.com, and many more.

URGE THEM TO VOTE YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help them realize that this is for everyone's benefit. This proposal was rejected the last time it came up!

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 09:30 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Why would some realtors be for it and others against it?

Old 07-07-2008, 10:01 PM

Ok, here's the thing. Back, maybe a year and a half ago...maybe more, all the sites, including valleymls.com had all the addresses posted online (we even had sqft as well). At that time, a group of Realtors made a big push to have them removed because they thought it was taking away from their sales calls. They thought that if they withheld the addresses, then more buyers would be forced to call the listing agent, versus using another Realtor.

The logic is ridiculous, I know. It sounds crazy, but it's true. About two weeks ago, they had an "open letter" from a proponent of withholding the info, as well as a dissenting view's letter to give an overview to the pros and cons of displaying the info.

I'm all for having as much info available to the consumer as possible. When (or if) we're able to display addresses, we can finally utilize the mapping technology that we've been missing out on for a while. But, like I said, this proposal has failed before. The biggest advocates of withholding the info are also some of the most established, but non internet-savvy Realtors in our area.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:45 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,502 times
I'd vote for the addresses all the way--that's how we found our house--on the internet. Schools, neighborhood, etc. We should have that information readily available as we look for homes. It'd spare realtors a lot of wasted gas and time to have that info posted.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:37 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by level10 View Post

The vote is being held right now....

They thought that if they withheld the addresses, then more buyers would be forced to call the listing agent, versus using another Realtor.

The logic is ridiculous, I know. It sounds crazy, but it's true.
From a buyer's perspective, of course I am in favor of making all the data available.

However, I do understand their logic. It's a control thing - control of information. Information is power.

Realtors seem to fall into the 80-20 paradigm: 20% of the realtors (the full time pros) make 80% of the sales(money). I wonder if one set of these realtors (the pros versus the part timers) favors this ruling one way or the other.

So, how did the vote turn out? Wasn't it voted on last night?

Old 07-08-2008, 07:14 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,502 times
That 80-20 paradigm is true for most areas of community life and business. I'd bet the 20% that do majority of the work are Type 8's with 7 wings in the Enneagram personality index.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:18 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,744 times
It was so irritating to have to search on ValleyMLS and not get addresses. I understand the premise but it is so sleezy. It wastes the buyer's time. If I know I don't want to live on a busy street, I'm wasting my time asking my realtor about a house on a busy street because there's no way for me to know from the listing. UGH! I understand realtors want to increase their chance at a sale or whatnot but they still work for US, and it just fills me with rage when my time is completely wasted due to sales tactics like that.

I doubt they will list addresses for the reasons Charles mentioned. If they do I'll have hope in the profession again. In general I have developed a bitter loathing for the real estate profession. No offense to anyone but ugh. I've yet to meet a realtor who I am truly confident really advocates for their clients, as opposed to doing whatever it takes in getting the quickest, highest commission. (Especially as a seller. Do not even get me started on my home selling experience in the California market. Yuck.)

Old 07-08-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
From a buyer's perspective, of course I am in favor of making all the data available.

However, I do understand their logic. It's a control thing - control of information. Information is power.

Realtors seem to fall into the 80-20 paradigm: 20% of the realtors (the full time pros) make 80% of the sales(money). I wonder if one set of these realtors (the pros versus the part timers) favors this ruling one way or the other.

So, how did the vote turn out? Wasn't it voted on last night?
The vote can take up to a couple of days. I think they wait until they have a certain percentage of Realtors before they complete and tally the results. Some Realtors don't log into the MLS on a daily basis, so we're kind of waiting on them too. Should know something soon, though and I'll be the first to let you guys know.

About the 80-20. In real estate, that is 100% correct, as in a lot of businesses. I'm a full-timer. If I don't sell, my wife and kid don't eat. I'm completely in favor of the addresses being shown! For one, it saves me time. If a client has the ability to obtain the information on their own, why should we prevent that? If they're going to buy a home from me, then they will buy a home from me. People ask for addresses all the time, but I don't see an increase in sales because of it! Sales are made when the agent is able to provide an insight into the market, provide a unique online experience, or develop a rapport with a client.

To answer the question: Yes, a good portion of that 20% are opposed to the addresses being shown.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:05 AM

You're probably right. The big dogs don't want them shown, then they convince the part-timers to follow their lead. It will surprise me if the measure somehow passes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
It was so irritating to have to search on ValleyMLS and not get addresses. I understand the premise but it is so sleezy. It wastes the buyer's time. If I know I don't want to live on a busy street, I'm wasting my time asking my realtor about a house on a busy street because there's no way for me to know from the listing. UGH! I understand realtors want to increase their chance at a sale or whatnot but they still work for US, and it just fills me with rage when my time is completely wasted due to sales tactics like that.

I doubt they will list addresses for the reasons Charles mentioned. If they do I'll have hope in the profession again. In general I have developed a bitter loathing for the real estate profession. No offense to anyone but ugh. I've yet to meet a realtor who I am truly confident really advocates for their clients, as opposed to doing whatever it takes in getting the quickest, highest commission. (Especially as a seller. Do not even get me started on my home selling experience in the California market. Yuck.)

Old 07-08-2008, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,603 times
I am in the real estate business in Guntersville with a condominium community and a member of the North Alabama Multiple Listing Service. I do agree that the more information availble for people searching for a home the better. Having been in this business for many years, I have seen it done both ways and find that it does help the potential purchaser as well as the REALTOR with qualification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area