Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 04:01 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times

Advertisements

4 days is enough time to get a good idea about the HSV area in regards to considering it as a relocation possiblity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 04:08 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,118 times
We came down here in January and stayed exactly 4 days. We felt we got a pretty good idea about the area, the schools (we visited 3), and neighborhoods. In addition, we went to restaurants, movies and met nice people everywhere we went. We came away with a solid idea of what we were moving to after that amount of time. It's not hard to get around at all. Everything is very accessible. Did you decide where you were going to stay? A central location is what we chose the first time, near downtown, and that made it easy to hit the SE quadrant and the SW area.

It's doable for sure.

Have fun!

Old 07-16-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglover View Post
We came down here in January and stayed exactly 4 days. We felt we got a pretty good idea about the area, the schools (we visited 3), and neighborhoods. In addition, we went to restaurants, movies and met nice people everywhere we went. We came away with a solid idea of what we were moving to after that amount of time. It's not hard to get around at all. Everything is very accessible. Did you decide where you were going to stay? A central location is what we chose the first time, near downtown, and that made it easy to hit the SE quadrant and the SW area.

It's doable for sure.

Have fun!
Thanks! I don't need to worry about the schools, but I do want to get an idea about the neighborhoods etc. I'll be coming in the morning of the 1st and leaving the morning of the 5th. I'll be stopping by the jobfair at the expo on the 4th. I know when I visited Louisville, I was there for a week and didn't get to see everything, although I got a good feel. Then again, it's several times the size of HSV. As for a place to stay, I'm opting for just slumming it at the motel 6 or something similar in Madison. I've got to make this trip on the cheap right now and can plan for something more extensive the next go around.

If you can think of any more pointers, let me know!!

Old 07-16-2008, 04:41 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Thanks! I don't need to worry about the schools, but I do want to get an idea about the neighborhoods etc.
Yeah, that school shopping ate up time. However, we drove a lot and that gave us a feel for commuting here (easy).

It doesn't take long to get to Mount Sano or any of the other interesting things closer to Huntsville/Madison. Lake Guntersville area is further out so that one might be on your next trip.

Everything appears bigger when not here in person. But when you get here, you'll find that seeing a place like Historic Twickenham near downtown takes very little time to drive around or walk for that matter. And Mount Sano, well we drove up to it, but we didnt' hike it so it took little time to scope out the one scenic view (with my bug allergy, I am a see it from the view of the car window person).

Bailey Cove is beautiful, easy to drive to as well.

I hope you have a great visit.

C

Old 07-16-2008, 05:03 PM

can you recommend any nice day or afternoon places to hike?

Old 07-16-2008, 05:41 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,219 times
Sorry for butting into the conversation, but I would recommend Green Mtn in South Huntsville (actually it is in Madison Cty I believe). It is off of Bailey Cove Road.

Madison County Nature Trail

It is a great place for a short hike and a picnic lunch.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Sorry for butting into the conversation, but I would recommend Green Mtn in South Huntsville (actually it is in Madison Cty I believe). It is off of Bailey Cove Road.

You're not butting in at all. I love suggestions. Thanks!

Old 07-17-2008, 06:51 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,867,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post

I did a 4 day visit to Huntsville earlier this month and my wife and I just accidentally came across this place. It was a very nice nature park.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:44 PM

889 posts, read 2,398,445 times
IMO, the best hikes in the immediate area are on Monte Sano at the Huntsville Land Trust trails. Literally five minutes from downtown and 5 Points off of Bankhead Parkway. Bankhead comes out of the 5 Points neighborhood FYI. So, if you are single, no kids, and want to be close to everything. That may be a good place to look. Now, if you had kids, I might not recommend 5 Points right off unless you could afford to live on the southside of Pratt Ave which is zoned for better schools than the northside of Pratt. This is why northside 5 Points tends to be cheaper. Either way, there are lots of nice historic, smaller bungalow type homes in 5 Points and it is widely known as Huntsville's progressive and "artsy" area, which may not seem so impressive if you come from say...Berkeley or Boulder or something. Lots of coffee shops, antique stores, outdoor/biking shops, and other mom & pop establishments. It's probably the least franchise oriented part of town for sure. There are some rundown homes here and there, but overall 5 Points is pretty well kept and has a distinct sense of community that is lacking in many neighborhoods in the Huntsville metro.

Last edited by deesonic; 07-17-2008 at 04:52 PM..

Old 07-17-2008, 08:25 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,219 times
[quote=deesonic;4498703]IMO, the best hikes in the immediate area are on Monte Sano at the Huntsville Land Trust trails. QUOTE]

I agree to a point. You can get a lot more mileage in and a much better workout with all the hills. Overall though, I think for a relatively short walk in the woods (about 2.5 miles), Green Mtn is pretty hard to beat. The lake, picnic pavilion, chapel, cabin and covered bridge make for an interesting walk.

If the OP is looking for a little more strenuous hike of about 3.5 miles, I really like the hike down to the Stone Cuts up on Monte Sano. I usually park at the hikers parking lot, take the South Plateau Loop to the Sinks Trail to the Stone Cuts Trail, walk through the Stone Cuts and come back up the other side of the Sinks Trail to the Overlook and then back to the hikers parking lot. That is a nice short hike that combines some interesting rock formations, a nice little leg workout and a view.

Here is a map of the state park and the Monte Sano Land Trust.
http://www.briartech.com/msonesht.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area