Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 09:21 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,001,410 times

Advertisements

I am interested in Huntsville, I've never been so this forum is gonna have to help me get some info and an idea for the town. I've been to the South before but never east of Jackson,MS. Im Spanish and so is my g/f, we live in Albuquerque,NM and are looking for something a little different.Im 27 and I dont have any sort of college education.I make descent money right now but this city is based on family and who you know for jobs, is it like this in Huntsville?

Can you give me an idea of how everyday life is in Huntsville, from what I've read so far traffic isnt bad and yall got some minor league sports for entertainment. How are the locals,culture,food,job market, cities close by for day trips, what grows there naturally, is there palm trees there?

please add any info you have, thanks

p.s. Im have 3 places I am interested in--TN,MS, and AL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:13 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,601,376 times
Kobe Bryant doesn't have a college education either and he makes great money.
What line of work are you in?
Is a city "based on family" a good thing or a bad thing?

Old 08-01-2008, 06:09 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,378,017 times
Much of Huntsville life is based on families, too. Traffic is pretty much like Albuquerque - heavy during rush hours, light otherwise. There is no major interstate through town like ABQ (the interstate in Huntsville is a connector). Also, unlike ABQ, Huntsville's history is fairly recent. It did briefly serve as a state capitol (back in the early 1800s) but was a small town until the 1960s. Not a lot of spectacular scenery, as in ABQ.
However, Huntsville is very green - lots and lots of grass and trees. But no palm trees, except for those planted by optimistic people!
You might want to try a bigger town for a livelier nightlife scene - Birmingham, Nashville, Atlanta.
You have a good start - you use "ya'll" correctly!
But we'd love for you to come visit!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:07 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,001,410 times
well, cities based on families are good but bad when family members give family members jobs and makes it harder to get jobs if you dont know too many people.I guess what I should say is the city is mostly based on who you know.Abq has alot of history and generations of people living here so lots of family members all in the same city, locals dont really leave the city all that much.

I was interested in Huntsville cause of the size of the city,its in the south,the crime stats look descent,and from what I hear it seems to be mixed with people. I have a friend in TN who visits Huntsville often and she likes it. The cost of living seems to be alright too, Im not big on nightlife, I like sports and concerts but I dont party.

What would the average apartment cost me in a descent neighborhood?
How are the people?

I work in retail, but if I move I dont wanna work in retail anymore, Im having trouble finding work around here that dosent require years of traininig or experience, even just typical city jobs, thanks for responding

Old 08-01-2008, 09:22 PM

433 posts, read 1,766,831 times
We are staying in an apartment in Madison temporarily. Just to give you an idea of prices in the area here is a list of prices for The Grand Reserve at Madison.

1b/1.5bth 1074sq. ft.-$727/mo.
2b/2bth 1451sq. ft.-$827/mo.
3b/2bth 1557sq. ft.-$927/mo.
Pool, workout room, sauna, jacuzzi, tanning bed, w/d hookup and some with w/d.

It is a nice complex and is very quiet.

Try apartmentfinder.com for info on apartments in Madison and Huntsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area