Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:52 AM

122 posts, read 354,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowslikeabutterfly View Post
No, We are paying for Randolph for K-9 and then switching to Bob Jones. We took a detailed tour of the public school here in Madison (I am slated for one of the nicest ones) and it's still lacking. There are virtually no arts/music until middle school and Randolph way outpaces the academic side (its a 2 time national blue ribbon winner). I'm sorry, but status quo is not good enough for my child. I was a public school child and hold a PHD, but the struggle was ridiculous growing up. I need to give my child the best. Any yes, Randolph has a tough admission policy and requires testing for entrance. Its not for every kid.
No need for the elitist attitude. I am also a public school child. I have a Master's degree in Computer Science and I didn't struggle growing up. My family goes to Madison City Schools and uses a private music program. My 6 year old plays piano with both hands, transposes and composes music and can sing while playing. My 3 year old also plays with one hand and simultaneously sings. She is also doing some basic composition.

The Madison public schools are fine, you can augment with private programs that suit your specific art/music needs and desires without the exorbitant cost of Randolph. My 2c.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 06:28 PM

262 posts, read 793,830 times
My...the educational snobbery is just oozing out of this thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:30 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
I don't mind that someone chooses private school, public school, or homeschooling. I do mind when someone talks about how awful my choice is, and how they'd NEVER send their child there. I've gotten that from parochial, private, and home schoolers, as well as parents of children assigned to certain "choice" public schools.
Guess it's a human nature thing. That's why it's good to THINK before you post.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flstatenolefan View Post
My...the educational snobbery is just oozing out of this thread

I apologize if I came across like that, but I was simply trying to make the point that Public schools in Madison (and some areas of Huntsville) are fine and there is no reason to go to Randolph. There are a pleathora of private art/music programs in the area that can compensate if that is the area of concern.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:41 PM

369 posts, read 1,146,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKOTH97 View Post
there is no reason to go to Randolph.
I have to say, that's a rather idiotic blanket statement.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm42 View Post
I have to say, that's a rather idiotic blanket statement.
Given the point of the argument, I disagree. The crux of the argument was that Madison Art/Music programs were lacking thus the need to go to Randolph to gain access to a quality program. I do not believe that is the case. There are many quality private art/music programs that rival or exceed what Randolph offers (at a much lower cost).

It wasn't a blanket statement at all. It was focused on the specific argument.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:32 AM

369 posts, read 1,146,430 times
Quote:
Given the point of the argument, I disagree. The crux of the argument was that Madison Art/Music programs were lacking thus the need to go to Randolph to gain access to a quality program. I do not believe that is the case. There are many quality private art/music programs that rival or exceed what Randolph offers (at a much lower cost).
Well, you've explained your rationale more than once, but it does not support the conclusion "there is no reason to go to Randolph".

You are obviously happy with your education choice, but it is ridiculous to state that anyone who makes a different choice is operating outside of reason.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:40 AM

262 posts, read 793,830 times
Quote:
I apologize if I came across like that, but I was simply trying to make the point that Public schools in Madison (and some areas of Huntsville) are fine and there is no reason to go to Randolph. There are a pleathora of private art/music programs in the area that can compensate if that is the area of concern.

Actually, you were not the one I was referring to when I made that comment...LOL. I apologize for the confusion. I completely understand the points you are making and agree.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm42 View Post
Well, you've explained your rationale more than once, but it does not support the conclusion "there is no reason to go to Randolph".

You are obviously happy with your education choice, but it is ridiculous to state that anyone who makes a different choice is operating outside of reason.
I am perfectly happy to agree to disagree on the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area