Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2007, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 11,307 times

Advertisements

We moved up to the Madison AL area from FL because FL was becoming much too expensive. Since we have been in AL(almost a year) we have attended three churches: The people are formally polite but that is as far as it goes. When a couple of the churches had a dinner at the church, my husband and I attended and sat alone and were ignored by the church members. I can give you other examples but the behavior is basically the same. Needless to say no one wants to get to know us; let alone socialize with us.I have a nice house, but it is very socially isolative here. Any ideas on what is going on?The only conclusion that I can draw is that we are of Italian descent; so our skin is olive complexion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 02:53 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,336,019 times
Your name says northerngirl. I live in Florida, formerly from the Northeast, and I'll always be a yankee wherever I go. My guess is it isn't your Italian heritage but your northern accent. Also, if you're calling yourself northerngirl in Alabama then I'd say you have a bit of an attitude too. Good luck!

Old 01-26-2007, 03:22 PM

485 posts, read 1,452,177 times
I can't imagine either what is causing you problems other than that you are putting off negative vibes. I have lived in Madison for almost 9 years and have found it to be the friendliest place I have ever lived. The people I have met are from all parts of the country (many from St. Louis MO with the BRAC move about 10 years ago). This is an area of transplants and I can't imagine why you would not find acceptance.

Old 01-26-2007, 05:39 PM

660 posts, read 2,436,279 times
northern girl how long have you lived there for
if its shorter than 2 years i saw on the website every month they have a newcomers club lunch
you should chek out

Old 01-26-2007, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 7,379 times
I'm sorry to hear this. You can come to my church - Calvary Assembly in Decatur. When my husband and I first went everyone hugged us and invited us over to their homes and they have what is called life connection groups where you get together with other people at their homes who have the same interests as you. It is in Decatur, but worth the drive. Also, baby firefly had a great suggestion. I know how it is moving to another area and sometimes people aren't as friendly as they could be or we would like them to be. I have moved from Indiana to Louisiana and had some people be rude to me because of my accent and because I would say "You Guys" instead of "Y'all, but I would smile at them and love them anyway and know that it wasn't me, but them and I learned to say "Y'all" very well. I really enjoyed learning to change myself, I guess it is like the saying - "When in Rome be as the Romans". Since I have moved to Alabama it has been absolutely lovely and for the most part everyone is accomodating, sweet, lovely and great to be around. I hope your experience gets better and that the Lord will send people your way you can relate to and fellowship with, until then keep smiling and loving people despite what you may see or feel and things will change!

Old 01-26-2007, 07:49 PM

69 posts, read 393,248 times
verobeach: I lived in Brevard County and ventured to Vero Beach many times. It's full of northern transplants. There's got to be more northern transplants than natives, but oh well. I wouldn't think a northerner would feel out of place in Vero Beach or even be called a Yankee.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:25 PM

660 posts, read 2,436,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenaround View Post
verobeach: I lived in Brevard County and ventured to Vero Beach many times. It's full of northern transplants. There's got to be more northern transplants than natives, but oh well. I wouldn't think a northerner would feel out of place in Vero Beach or even be called a Yankee.

floridas not the north

Old 01-29-2007, 09:13 PM

69 posts, read 393,248 times
What I meant...Yes, geographically FL is not a northern state, but in that part of FL, the vast majority of the population are northerners, so northerners shouldn't feel uncomfortable there. I just based that on that everyone I knew from that area was from either NY, NJ, or PA. I'm from MD myself.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 13,004 times
You should consider joining the Huntsville Newcomers Club. They meet at the Huntsville public library (downtown) for coffee once a month. They are a wonderful group of women--go to lunch, eat in each others home, go on tours, etc. Several Madison women go also, so you might meet a neighbor. You will make a lot of friends and get to know your way around.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:32 AM

103 posts, read 452,148 times
Default where from northerngrl

I responded to a post you had about huntsville as well. Good luck. It's been getting better for us here, but maybe it was our fault for not moving closer to a bigger metropolitan area. We actually lived in a small town back home and thought we should do the same down here. Hopefully it'll all work out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area