Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 07:23 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,871,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
my general opinion of shows like this:

if you go looking for the worst in society with a camera and time on your hands, you will find it.....
++
Also, if you are surrounded in your neighborhood by addicts or exposed to them in concentration at the workplace, etc, you would probably have the perception that everyone is a meth head.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 11,526 times
Default "Meth Mountain"

Sounds to me like there are a lot of people that have no idea what they are talking about. Most of my relatives live in Marshall County. It is not a "dry county".

The problem is not in Guntersville or really Albertville. It is an area called Kilpatrick and it is basically a slum type area, allot of illegal alliens as well as lazy people who want to make a fast easy buck.

The problems are being dealt with, the situation is basically the police force in the area was not up to the task but they are getting there.

As far as sending kids to Florida to keep them away from this. I lived in Florida for 20 years and drugs were by far easier to acquire there than anywhere I know of on "Meth Mountain"

Old 08-21-2008, 10:32 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,871,066 times
I grew up in Marshall County and moved out 3 years ago. It's not that it matters, but Marshall County IS DRY. The individual cities of Albertville and Guntersville are wet. Sounds to me like you don't know what you are talking about. Better to know the facts before you say someone has no idea what they are talking about. Make some calls. Read some laws. Helps when you are trying to comment on an area "most of your relatives live in".

Old 08-21-2008, 04:28 PM

557 posts, read 1,674,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesd2 View Post
Sounds to me like there are a lot of people that have no idea what they are talking about. Most of my relatives live in Marshall County. It is not a "dry county".
Yes, it is. As several others have pointed out, cities in the county (Guntersville and Albertville) have been wet for some time, but you CAN NOT legally buy alcohol in most of the county.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:49 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,418 times
Default See 33458.

I'm laughing at the Florida awesome thing...we moved from South Florida to get away from the Heroin and Crack...and all the cute, barely whet gang-bangers sired from the white-collar, picket-fenced community we lived in. 'Vanilla Ice peddling on my street corner. (The Eminem lived on a different street.) College-educated crack boy across the street. Polo-shirted pothead one house over. And for good measure, I had two separate druggies move in next to me on the other side. Cops constantly being called because the affect of habit wandered outside too often.

'Ain't like I'm not familiar with all this, but come on...we're all 40 years old now, parents with children. Let's ACT like it.

You're going to find a problem where-ever you look. Urban has issues, suburban has issues, rural has issues. Smack, crack or meth, seasoning suits the locale.

Check stats for anywhere you might consider moving. Read the blotters, peruse public records. Walk the streets. Listen to the conversations around you. Don't trust the news to deliver this information for you. And good luck, BTW!

The folks who suggested parental involvement nailed it right on the head. But it doesn't stop there. The reason we left town for higher ground was to find a place where most or at least MORE families still paid some attention to proper rearing. That element was what made it impossible to stay where we were - nobody took care of their own problems. No responsibility. "Not my kid / mind your own business!" Such concern was not wired in to the social planning. So it was a losing battle unless I wanted to cage my daughter away from the world...and that's not my style.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 11,526 times
PaytonC

You are right, Marshall Cty is dry. My error. However, as far as knowing what I am talking about you can think what you want. You are wrong, I was born and raised there when it was a much better place to live. Yes things have gotten bad but that is everywhere.

You talk about what you know, I made only one error and that was that Marshall Cty was not dry. The county as well as Albertville and Guntersville were always dry until the last few years.

I am not trying to "sugar coat" the problem but the show made it look rediculas. After living in Florida there is no comparison.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:08 AM

5 posts, read 14,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGAL76 View Post
I watched on A&E last night a Intervention Show called "Meth Mountain". It said it is a huge problem in Marshall County and had several stories about what it has done to peoples lives in that area. Is this in or around Guntersville? How bad is it? I have a friend that lives near Knoxville,TN and she is actually sending her kids back to Florida to stay with her parents to finish school out down here because she said Meth is so bad up there and she is scared that her kids are going to get into the wrong crowd. We are still considering a move to Northern Alabama once my husband gets the ok from the job. Now, seeing that show last night it has me a little worried about living up that way with kids and how bad is the problem with Meth. I understand drugs is in every state and is in some towns more than others but one of the interviews on the show the lady said that she just couldn't stay clean because it is everywhere and you would always know someone that either has it or someone that could get it for you and most of the people were doing it or knew someone who was doing it. Were is this located? How bad is it?

I am from Albertville there on Sand Mountain. I now live in Indiana. Dr. Holly that was on that show was our baby doctor who delivered our 3 year old daughter. She retired soon after to do what she is doing now. I knew before this show that her brother had killed himself, and that he was a meth addict. My brother is a former meth addict- now clean thanks to God. My cousin is currently a meth addict and several people my brothers and I grew up with are meth addicts. When my family and I still lived in Albertville we lived across the street from a couple who were on meth and one day while they were doing it they had left their baby strapped in a car seat and it fell off the bed and the baby sufficated and died. For people to sit here and say that meth is not that bad in the Guntersville area is probably on meth themselves. Meth is everywhere I agree, but it is worse in most places of marshall county. When those people had to go to court about their kids on that show it was in Albertville which neighbors Guntersville. I am not trying to scare anyone nor am I trying to talk you out of moving to this area. It is a beautiful place. I will move back when I retire and live on the lake. There are good people there. My parents live there. There are a lot of good churches there if you need a good church to go too. You can get a copy of that show on A&E's website for $25.00. I suggest showing this to your children no matter where you live. It helps to have open relationships with your kids and they are gonna make mistakes. You just have to educate them about drugs and alcohol at a very early age and just hope for the best. Just remember, God has a plan for everyone. He will Carry us through the tough times as well. God bless you. Hope things go well if you decide to move to that area.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,508 times
I'm From Texas and saw the show on A&E, but I still want to move there It looks pretty and peaceful!!!!

Old 09-29-2008, 03:27 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
The entire meth problem could be wiped away very easily. Meth lab busts in the US are down dramatically since states have started moving pseudoephedrine products behind the counters and limiting quantity. The void is easily filled by Mexican cartels and meth labs near the border who simply go to Mexico and buy as much Sudafed as they possibly can. The cartels are actually making problems much worse because the purity of their meth is very high and they simply sell the stuff on their already established drug routes.

They only way to stop the meth problem is to discuss diplomatic solutions with countries that produce pseudoephedrine and ephedrine and limit production to that needed for medical use. It would be very easy to pay those companies large amounts of money to limit production, considering America alone is dumping millions and millions per year fighting meth. Meth cannot be grown. It has to be made through chemistry and if the raw ingredient is not available, no meth cooking can take place. There are only 9 plants in the world that produce the raw ingredient needed. We should work on a way to have production limited.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 5,314 times
Wink Don't worry

I have lived in Huntsville my whole life, I just watched "Meth Moutain" last night,and I didn't even know how big of a problem it was out there, and I still don't know the exact location. I would think probably Grant or Sand Mountain....anyways, I wouldn't worry so much as to move your kids to Florida, they are just as likely to use there as the would here. I have come in contact with meth, but that's only because I did not hang out with the "right crowd" when I was growing up. But even then I only saw it come from one person, so I had no idea that it was a major problem, and even then I didn't know how addictive it was. All you can do is talk to your kids about drugs, and hope for the best, because they can find them ANYWHERE, so secluding them from certain areas won't really help, I mean of course I would stay away from Meth Mountain, but Huntsville is a great place to live. Also, I saw that they kept showing pictures of Guntersville,and I have visited there many times but have not noticed a problem, but who knows? Anyways hope this helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area