Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:41 AM

117 posts, read 446,708 times

Advertisements

I loved living in NOVA.I loved we were close to the metro and we could zip into DC to all the cool places and museums. I loved being close to a beach ,mountains,and other big cities. I loved the shopping, restaurants, and the diversity of the area.I loved we had 3 close airports to fly out of and they were hubs to many airlines!Now, why I am happy we moved here....we can get a bigger bang for the $ on a home, there is vitually no major traffic problems. No more problems on I95 and thinking about what time of day I can go somewhere so I am not sitting in traffic. I have heard all utilities are lower and people seems a bit more friendlier here...probably because they are not thinking about racing somewhere before I95 or 66 gets backed up. I pay 1/2 of what my friend pays in NOVA for a private preschool and we get a hot lunch daily! I can be a SAHM to my daughter if I choose. In NOVA I had to work because everything seemed so expensive. Even though you might get a bit less pay here because of the COLA being lower it really is a nice place to live and raise a family.Other things seem a bit less expensive too. The schools are good and have many of the same programs as NOVA schools. If you have an ID you can access many of the MWR activities that are offered to at Redstone. If you work at Redstone I would have your family take their newcomers orientation...it is very nice to know what Redstone has to offer. There are so many Newcomers clubs here....this has been a very nice transition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 07:46 AM

34 posts, read 95,261 times
If you have an ID you can access many of the MWR activities that are offered to at Redstone. If you work at Redstone I would have your family take their newcomers orientation...it is very nice to know what Redstone has to offer. There are so many Newcomers clubs here....this has been a very nice transition.[/quote]

Can you tell me more about the MWR activities in Redstone? By the way, what's MWR stands for?

Thanks!

Old 09-10-2008, 09:03 AM

133 posts, read 534,495 times
Morale, Welfare and Recreation. Every Army base has an MWR.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:13 AM

117 posts, read 446,708 times
United States Army Redstone Arsenal Morale, Welfare and Recreation located in Huntsville, Alabama

The ACS Army Community Service has the tour. This is open to civilians and their families.

Redstone is having their Octoberfest this weekend. Not sure what it will be like, but we are going since we lived in Germany for a long time we do miss all The German Fall Fests.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:06 PM

50 posts, read 223,904 times
Gosh, you all are making me want to move here so bad by all the descriptions of the cost of living and how beautiful and friendly it is.. I currently live in Ashburn, VA near Dulles airport..Used to live in McLean before November 2002. Been in VA since 2001.. I'm originally born/raised in Seattle area...My hubby is trying to find a job, really anywhere NC, SC, GA, AL, TX, or even VA.. He is a product manager for a software company.... I am a sahm here but will be happy to find a job if my hubby gets paid less than what he currently gets.. I just want to be happy and I'm not happy living here what so ever..Good luck to you..

Old 09-20-2008, 07:11 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,502 times
I know Ashburn--it's a an awful commute to anywhere from there. We lived closer in--and it was still bad for us.

Come on down! You'll love it here!

Old 09-20-2008, 07:33 AM

If my husband can find a job as a product manager/business development manager or presales for any software type company.....and of course selling our house.. Then will be down :0)

Old 09-20-2008, 10:48 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,867,377 times
I lived in Ashburn for a few months. Commuting down rt 7 is insane! Commuting down the toll road is almost as bad, and you pay for it.

Well, I just wanted to follow up with this thread - I accepted an offer equal to my salary in northern Virginia. It's a horizontal move, so I'm very happy. Amazed really.

What's even better is my wife was able to land a transfer job w/ the same company she works for in VA, and her salary isn't changing any either.

Quite a strange place this Huntsville is, but I like it!

Old 09-21-2008, 08:37 AM

I'm glad everything is working out for you DvlsAdvc8....

Old 10-08-2008, 09:56 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
Hello to any former NOVA dwellers who live in the HSV area.

I have an offer for a position there, and I'll probably take it.

We've got some questions best left to a real-estate agent, but I wanted to know if there's anything like Capital City Brewery in HSV? We're going to miss the place, but we're willing to trade it for a chance to have a yard (we live close in NOVA, like I can hear them sing the national anthem at the Army Ten-Miler from my balcony.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area