Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 12:55 PM

340 posts, read 723,331 times

Advertisements

City schools expect $2.6M loss - al.com
September 21, 2009

Schools tighten budgets for 2010 - al.com
September 30, 2009

State cut of 7.5% not a surprise, but still 'sticker shock' locally
Local schools expect millions of dollars in cuts after Gov. Bob Riley was forced to slash the state education budget by 7.5 percent Tuesday.

For Huntsville City Schools, the state funding for fiscal 2010 drops from $99.7 million to $92 million.

For Madison City Schools, the state allocation drops from $43.3 million to about $40.1 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 08:00 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,584,860 times
Columbia is NOT in Madison. And BJHS is crowded, but is ranked in the top 5% of the nation. Excellent school, but only if kids have smaller groups to hang with to bond. Mine is thriving there... most schools are overcrowded... nature of the beast... no money for education ... and apparently money for sports is still okay, but chemical supplies for chem .... not so much. Welcome to our recession....

Old 11-15-2009, 09:49 PM

340 posts, read 723,331 times
Board might speed consolidation
Friday, November 13, 2009
http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/local.ssf?/base/news/125810734930520.xml&coll=1

November 14, 2009
Madison residents give input on sales tax issue | Breaking News from The Huntsville Times - al.com

Old 07-11-2012, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,009 times
we may have the opportunity to be moving to Huntsville area. I am looking at Bob Jones High School(but concerned with the large student population) since my daughter is coming from a school that has only 450 students.. Is the new school James Clemmons taking some of the Bob Jones students?
Before I could think about a house I want to find a school. A high school that is used to seeing students"military" transition.
I'm looking at Bob Jones or new school James Clemmons:
Out of Huntsville: Arab or Athens.
Can anyone share any insignt..

Old 07-11-2012, 10:44 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
Yes, Clemens HS is taking some of the BJHS students. Clemens will be Madison's second HS and was built to ease overcrowing at Bob Jones. Madison expects that the new school will be a top ranked school just like BJHS. You can't go wrong with City of Madison schools.

Grissom HS in Huntsville is also a top ranked HS, but it is a large school and a bit overcrowded. HSVs New Century Technology HS is another top-ranked HS and will be collocated with Lee HS in a new facility a few miles north of downtown - New Century is district-wide so living in the school zone isn't an issue (getting in is another story).

"Three North Alabama high schools have been named to Newsweek's list of the best high schools in the United States.

In Huntsville, New Century Technology High ranked 535th and Grissom High School landed at 623rd, according to the list. Madison's Bob Jones High School ranked 804th."

Three Huntsville, Madison high schools make Newsweek's list of best in U.S. | al.com

Area schools are accustomed to serving children of military members, so no worries there.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:09 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelgirl47 View Post
we may have the opportunity to be moving to Huntsville area. I am looking at Bob Jones High School(but concerned with the large student population) since my daughter is coming from a school that has only 450 students.. Is the new school James Clemmons taking some of the Bob Jones students?
Before I could think about a house I want to find a school. A high school that is used to seeing students"military" transition.
I'm looking at Bob Jones or new school James Clemmons:
Out of Huntsville: Arab or Athens.
Can anyone share any insignt..
The area is very accomodating to transitioning students, as the majority of families here are very transitional due to the nature of the job market (military and government contractors). I think you will find the staff as well as the students to be very welcoming, as many were in your position not too long ago. I have found this especially true with the Madison schools.

James Clemens will be the smaller of the school at first to leave room for the continued growth in Madison as well as the age demographics in that school zone. Also, the high schools will now have the 9th graders....before the 9th grade students were at the middle schools but still considered "Bob Jones" students. In regards to James Clemens, a good amount of teachers from Bob Jones as well as other Madison schools will transition to JCHS. Some teachers will "float" between the two for certain subjects. So when people state that JCHS will be as academically successful as BJHS, that is due to how they open new schools here. Madison has been very successful in the past every time a new school has been opened in regards to academic standards.

Arab and Athens are going to have much less of a transitional makeup, especially Arab. But Arab has some of the best schools in the state as well. Most of the students there are going to be "natives" of that area. You see a bit more of this in Grissom High as well...but not so much in Huntsville High.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:17 PM

268 posts, read 634,181 times
Grissom is no longer significantly overcrowded - it has approximately 2000 students in a school designed for 2000 capacity.

Grissom rates higher than Bob Jones in College Readiness Index (36.1 vs 34.9), AP pass rate (81% vs. 60%), and AP tests per student (4.2 vs. 3.1).

http://www.usnews.com/education/best...81/test-scores

http://www.usnews.com/education/best...11/test-scores

Old 07-30-2012, 07:04 PM

8 posts, read 14,709 times
I am a realtor in the Huntsville/Madison area and would be happy to answer any questions you have. I have children of my own and am an Alabama native. We do welcome 'newbies' and believe it or not, I am the odd girl out! (due to being a native) Greatschools.com has good info. Let me know how I can help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area