Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2008, 09:46 AM

433 posts, read 1,769,473 times

Advertisements

I just took my son to the orthodontist and they are charging over $5000.00!!!! In Savannah they were charging $4000.00 and I thought that was expensive. I was told I could get a second opinion and I am wondering if any of you are getting your kids braces for less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 07:29 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,705,121 times
It may depend on what style of braces you are being 'sold'...but yes, they are all expensive. It may be that you have less in the way of Orthodontists to choose from, therefore less incentive to be competitive with service packages.
I was surprised to find no reduction in overall cost here for the continuation of my Damon treatments (I'm the one with braces!) despite 'cost of living'...the price tag is the same. OUCH in SO FL and I'm still wincing here.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:54 PM

These braces are just the absolute basics. Not clear, nothing fancy. My husband's boss in Decatur is going to look into what they pay out there for his son's braces. If it is a better price I'm willing to drive.

Too bad there isn't an orthodontic school around here. I got my orthodontic work done by residents in an ortho. program in Philadelphia. My parents paid $1300 when my friends parents were paying $3000.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:17 PM

23 posts, read 100,191 times
My daughter is ready for braces. She is thirteen. For the past two years she has been periodically visiting three orthodonists who were monitoring her progess (she needed to get her 12 year molars in). We were just informed three months ago that she is now ready for the braces. Each of the three estimates that we received were over $5,000. Actually, the quote for the Damon braces was $5,200 and the other two were $5,400. They offered a one-time 5% reduction in cost if you pay for the braces up front. I was surprised that the discount ($260) was so low for being willing to pay for the braces up front. I checked with my dental insurance and was told that we have a 24 month waiting period, which is up in December. So, my daughter will be getting her braces in December because my insurance pays for $1,500 of the cost. I agree, $5,000 is way too expensive and I suspect that is the going rate no matter where you going in Huntsville.

33458- If you don't mind, would you please tell me of your experience with the Damon braces. We are considering getting these because this dentist was the only one who said she might not have to get 4 teeth pulled. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone else who have had them so I don't know if they are as good as the conventional braces. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:57 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,705,121 times
The insomniac is back...

Yes - the specialty of Damon is that where otherwise teeth would have to be extracted, this system actually (paraphrasing my old Ortho) reshapes the jawline, widening the spread as well as straightening the teeth.
The real upside to these in comparison to what I remember my teenage buddies enduring back in the day is less-frequent office visits. I have to check-in every one-two months or so to document progress and when required switch memory wire gauges - stronger as time goes on. Rubber bands are not a definite - I am only now using one on one side since the movement is slack in one area.

I still have these on only because I did not immediately persue a new Ortho here - our insurance fortunately covered the same amount as yours quoted but as a one-time-only benefit, so I was better than 6 months behind and this time funding it completely out-of-pocket...should be off in a year from now.

MAN, when these first go on it's hard to eat - sloppy to navigate and the teeth feel...squishy. The experience; like a shark with two layers of teeth, loose in the socket...and the first day of a new wire...grumpy all-over headache. Jaw ache...plan on eating soft food for a day or two.

The progress is FAST. My teeth were seriously messed up - small jawline with all but 3 wisdom teeth formed in to a crooked V instead of a U.

Did not want braces as a teen - too vain. Yuck.
Now I'm ancient and want straight teeth.

By the third visit my top teeth had improved MUCH and my bottom teeth were normal looking, and that was worse-off to start than the top!

What else...Frankenstein-ish with that big, shiny metal wire, but once the teeth start to straighten not quite so ugly...I have finally started smiling.

When these finally come off - if this new guy does it the same way - I still need to wear a retainer, but from what they told me back in Jupiter, they'll actually bond a wire to the back of the first few front teeth to prevent the teeth from shifting (as they will normally).

IMPORTANT - make sure the dentist knows about any cosmetic work or rebuilt teeth - must handle those differently. Also, brackets do not adhere well to the old mercury fillings...

Oh, and the only real downside besides brackets ripping the gumline apart (wax, much wax) is that when the teeth move significantly, you'll KNOW it...the wire will protrude, extending beyond the last brackets and drill in to the back of the mouth. THAT DOES NOT TICKLE. Bloody mess...inflamation. More grumpy. But a quick trim snip at the Ortho will take care of that, in and out...

Anything else - just ask.

Trish
The olde braced one.

Last edited by 33458; 10-24-2008 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: forgot something...

Old 10-24-2008, 06:16 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Wax, wax, wax!!! Boy this brings back memories. I was in the marching band and the week that I had the wires tightenened were awful. Describing the teeth as squishy is exactly right. I had brackets that also had screws or something on the inside wall of my teeth. I got strep throat five times within a couple months before the doctor finally decided it was because the screws scraped the sides of my tongue and the sores stayed infected.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:52 AM

262 posts, read 793,642 times
This thread is seriously scaring me! LOL. We already have been told by our dentist that both our 6 and 4 year old will need braces. They inherited my DH's teeth, strong and white, but with pronounced overbites. $5000...owee...better start that fund right away...LOL I'm sure it will be $7,000 by the time they are ready for them.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:23 AM

Well, fortunately mine will not be getting them until at least January. I told the orthodontist to pray my house in Savannah sells. We have been told that all 3 of ours will need them.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:37 AM

369 posts, read 1,146,060 times
We paid about $1800 for my daughter's braces last year in Atlanta. I know my son is going to need them in a few years so I hope the $5000 is out of line. Maybe we will drive to Atlanta!

Old 10-26-2008, 07:35 PM

23 posts, read 100,191 times
33458- Thanks for the info. I really, really appreciate it. It appears my daughter has the same issue, small jawline. Her teeth (top & bottom) are all v's. I mean every other tooth is turned in the opposite direction. And her top two "pointed" teeth, are sitting above her toothline in her gums, which makes brushing even more difficult for her. Because of her spacing issues, two orthos recommended we pull four teeth, but my husband doesn't like this idea. Which makes the Damon braces that more attractive because that ortho said there is a possibility that she might not have to lose any. He actually said they could install the braces with her teeth the way they are and monitor as she progresses. So, I do believe we will be choosing that option but she will have to wait until December because we can't pass up the opportunity for the insurance company to pay $1,500. Thanks again for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area