Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2008, 06:26 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times

Advertisements

Huntsville Times online (I think this is much less in depth than the paper edition.)
WAAY online
WAFF online
WHNT online
WVNN online
The Exponent (UAH)
Valley Planet
Madison County News
Huntsville Development News
http://huntsville.about.com/

Here's a bunch more in Alabama:

Alabama Newspapers (AL) : Newspapers from Alabama : Alabama News

Others?

Last edited by Charles; 11-02-2008 at 06:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 09:45 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,438 times
AlabamaVotes.gov - Public Voting information including the state voter guide, polling information, list of the state's elector's, and so on.

Honestly, a little weak. California had a MUCH more thorough voter's guide. I'm having a hard time finding good information on some of the smaller issues. The most I'm getting out of the site is that maybe I want to vote for someone besides Beth Chapman for Alabama Secretary of State next time I get a chance. But it's good for polling place info and such, if you need it.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:55 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
zenjenn - Beth Chapman (R) has done a pretty good job: improved voting for deployed military, brought her office into compliance with federal HAVA policy (and out from under federal lawsuits), and improved office operations. She may not compare favorably with California, but compared to her predecessor, she's done well.

Her predecessor Nancy Worley (D) left office under a cloud of failed implementation of HAVA (a 'special master' had to take over) and indictments for election shenanigans (the felony charges were dropped, the misdemeanors are still pending). Worley also laid off employees and bought a Ford Explorer with the Eddie Bauer upgrade with the 'savings'. IIRC Worley lives in Madison County.

So, whatever Chapmans's shortcomings, at least she hasn't been indicted (we seem to have a relatively low bar for defining 'success' in Alabama). In part, Governor Bob Riley (R) looks good by comparison with his predecessors for the same reasons as Chapman: no indictments, brought office out from under federal lawsuits.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:39 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
IIRC Worley lives in Madison County.
Really? She's retired from the Decatur City School system. I wondered where she landed.
She was a great Latin teacher at DHS...they don't even offer Latin anymore.
But an embarrassment as a state official.
I believe she's still active with the Democrats.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:17 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,438 times
I'm mostly speaking in jest.. I don't really know anything about Beth Chapman. I'm just saying, that the office is doing an abysmal job of creating a decent voter's guide, compared to what I'm used to. California provides every registered voter with a thick book of information on all candidates and issues, including the full text of any proposition, summary and analysis of the text, and arguments for and against, as well as rebuttals. Candidates each issue a statement, etc.

If anyone knows of any link that has that kind of information for Alabama, please post it tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area