Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:15 AM

93 posts, read 433,821 times

Advertisements

I have read many threads in an attempt to narrow my search and it seems to all run together. So I thought I would just ask.

Where in North Alabama would suit me best?

Family of 5
Wife is a teacher (secondary math)
I own an Architectural and landscape lighting business
3 kids between 9 and 14
Love to live in the country 15 to 20 acres
10 minutes from decent town with grocery theater hospital restaurants etc.
no need for an airport
within a 50 mile radius of high end homes (500k) for business
great schools churches kids activities etc.
beautiful scenery
not far from water (10 to 15 minutes)

Does this place exist or has everyone else already found it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 04:22 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Well I am sure other folks can give you suggestions, but Arab or Guntersville meet most of your requirements.
Arab..
15 minutes to Lake Guntersville
Acreage is available for good price
High end homes in Guntersville and a few in Arab
20 minutes to H'ville for a movie theater and malls
Excellent school system
Hospital is 8 mins from downtown.

Guntersville is a little further to H'ville. Schools are not as good but not bad. Lake Guntersville is great for fishing and there are a lots of $$$ homes all around the lake.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:44 AM

Thank you Keeper for the help.

If you had to guess,....what are the chances of my wife getting a teaching job in that area? 14 years exp. in secondary math.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:04 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURFNSCAPE View Post
I own an Architectural and landscape lighting business

3 kids between 9 and 14
Love to live in the country 15 to 20 acres
Where are you moving from?

How's business?

What do your kids think about living on 15-20 acres (especially the younger ones)? Do you think they might feel isolated from their neighborhood friends?

Old 11-20-2008, 07:21 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Not sure about the teaching jobs, but she would have Arab, Brindlee Mountain and Guntersville schools, plus you are not that far from Huntsville schools. Be aware salaries will probably be less than where you are now.

Housing is very reasonable and property taxes are nothing like FL. where I lived previously. Figure approx 200.00 per 100K value. HOI is also CHEAP.. I pay less than $500.00 a year for 100K.

Check out Valleymls.com for housing prices. You can select Marshall county or the cities themselves. There was a house near some friends that had 20 acres that was around $250K. It was an older brick home with lots of land. They had horses and a barn right behind my friends house.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Where are you moving from?

How's business?

What do your kids think about living on 15-20 acres (especially the younger ones)? Do you think they might feel isolated from their neighborhood friends?
I was raised on twenty acres and a half mile to the nearest neighbor. We now live on 12 acres across the road from where I grew up. No neighborhoods around, but we can drive for them to spend time with friends. We love NOT having neighbors 20 ft. away and on all sides. They love the open space to ride atv's, hunt,...and just run around. They are all involved in sports, football, baseball, basketball, and cheer leading. They have there social time........believe me!

We are in N.W. Florida right now.

Business has slowed down tremendously but there are still a few jobs trickling in.

Keeper thanks for that information, I like the lower HOI and property taxes. I wouldn't need 20 acres if I were in the right location. If the property backed up to a national forest or a state forest that would protect from a developer in the future. Which is exactly what is happening to us now. Paper mill has sold about 5000 acres +/- to developers that are going as fast as they can on 3 sides of us now. No we're not hermits but do enjoy our privacy and the wildlife that is present all year.

Last edited by TURFNSCAPE; 11-20-2008 at 02:27 PM..

Old 11-20-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURFNSCAPE View Post
I was raised on twenty acres and a half mile to the nearest neighbor. We now live on 12 acres across the road from where I grew up. No neighborhoods around, but we can drive for them to spend time with friends. We love NOT having neighbors 20 ft. away and on all sides. They love the open space to ride atv's, hunt,...and just run around. They are all involved in sports, football, baseball, basketball, and cheer leading. They have there social time........believe me!

The reason I asked is we lived on 2.5 acres near Colorado Springs but we had four kids under 8. They hated it. We were surrounded by retired people, (empty lots which made our lot seem like 10 acres), or people who like their "privacy" - basically, not the TGIF types (in other words, they're so dull and unengaging, they make the supreme court justices look like Led Zeppelin).

The number 1 reason we moved to Huntsville was to get to a more "normal" conventional neighborhood with lots of kids. Mission accomplished. Now, if we didn't have any kids, then maybe having land would be OK for us. But that's basically why I brought it up - just in case you were'nt familiar with the possible problems of having a large lot with kids might bring. Plus your kids are older and can find fun for themselves.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:40 PM

296 posts, read 694,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The reason I asked is we lived on 2.5 acres near Colorado Springs ...
Sun Hills?

Marc

Old 11-20-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc45002 View Post
Sun Hills?

Marc

Kings Deer.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:18 PM

Charles I understand where you are coming from. But since I have never lived in any type of neighborhood I'm probably too old to make the switch now. We enjoy getting involved socially but at the same time returning home to peace and quiet. Just tonight I watched as 75 to 100 wood ducks came in to roost. I enjoy the opportunity to witness this on a regular business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area