Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 06:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,933 times

Advertisements

I am considering making a move to the Huntsville area and had a few questions that I have not been able to find much information on and was hoping you all could anwer for me. Please!!!! Is the Huntsville area flat or does it have hills? What types of trees do you frequently find in the area? And finally, does it snow in Huntsville? If so how much and how often?

Thanks for any help you can provide in answering my questions!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 06:44 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
H'ville is in a valley surrounded by what we in AL call mountains. Snow is not an every year event but when it does snow it can be anywhere from just enough to cover the ground or occasionally a foot or more.

You might want to check out the pictures at the top of the page and here
//www.city-data.com/city/Huntsville-Alabama.html

Old 12-19-2008, 01:11 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,418 times
Hills...many hills. Some big, some small. They do call them mountains here. I have learned to accept that notion with the disclaimer.

I live on a small hill. Makes me very happy because there is a larger one close behind me.

When we first visited, I did not notice just how many hills we had. I saw some...but once you live here, well, then you start to see that the ground rises quite a bit and often.

Trees:

Pine

Maple

Hickory

Oak

Black Walnut

Dogwood (unsure if native or introduced)

Apple

Osage Orange

...a few others I have not identified yet...

Old 12-19-2008, 02:51 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Hills...many hills. Some big, some small. They do call them mountains here. I have learned to accept that notion with the disclaimer.

I live on a small hill. Makes me very happy because there is a larger one close behind me.

When we first visited, I did not notice just how many hills we had. I saw some...but once you live here, well, then you start to see that the ground rises quite a bit and often.

Trees:

Pine

Maple

Hickory

Oak

Black Walnut

Dogwood (unsure if native or introduced)

Apple

Osage Orange

...a few others I have not identified yet...
You can identify trees? That's impressive.

I only know if they're green, oragne, or yellow

Old 12-24-2008, 03:43 AM

567 posts, read 1,743,745 times
Alergies are rampid here, but I would not live anywhere else.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:34 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
There are also pecan, persimmon, cedar, pear, peach, apple, redbud, poplar, and a few others...

I like the stuffed up nose sounding of rampant as rampid. To expand on the pollen situation, in the spring people have a hard time finding their cars in the parking lots because they are all yellow...

Old 12-26-2008, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,190 times
Allergies should be fun for me ... :-)

Currently living in the desert in Arizona ... and I mainly have to contend with Citrus trees blooming in the spring and summer out here.

When I lived in the North East, I was alergic to Timothy Hay and many other pollens, so I imagine I'll have a year or two adjustment in Huntsville area before my sinus adjusts to all the specific alergens it will be finding in the air.

Hubby's new job will having us moved there by Mid-February. ...

Old 12-26-2008, 09:09 PM

18 posts, read 52,716 times
Welcome to the allergy capital of the world...that was what it was called by my ENT dr, that's not something I came up with...

Huntsville is at the tail end of the Smokies so we have the 'rolling hills', not the more rugged peaks like the Rockies. My hubby (the Army brat) corrected me years ago, when we were first married, that we don't have 'mountains', we have 'hills' and after visiting Arizona, I might be tempted to agree...

As for trees, if I never see another pine tree, I'd be ecstatic.

Snow? What's that? We don't do snow...my daughter turned 10 a few weeks ago and has seen (and played in) snow exactly once in her lifetime.

Our weather is a lot more exciting than that...tornadoes...ice...floods...drought...chill factor...heat index...humidity...ya live here more than two months, ya know what all that means...and now that I think of it, we've had most of the above mentioned in this month alone! Could be a new hobby for ya!

Anyway, Ya'll come!

Old 12-30-2008, 04:24 PM

80 posts, read 192,580 times
We are close to moving there too ... just trying to get the right price.
We are looking at either Madison or Huntsville --- both within the city limits.
We home school our kids so ... school district is not an issue for us. We do plan on cross enrolling into the private school system.

I do have one question ... why are there so many 'new' or almost new homes for rent?

Old 12-30-2008, 04:47 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times
H'ville is sort of over built now due to the BRAC announcement. problem is the BRAC folks from up north don't seem to be able to sell their houses there so they aren't buying houses here yet. If you are looking for a good price look i another direction besides Madison. Try toward New Market, Gurley, or Hampton Cove. You will probably get much more house for your dollar. While there is not as much shopping in these areas it is easy to get to the shopping in a short drive time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area