Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2007, 11:24 AM

275 posts, read 1,285,309 times

Advertisements

Ok I know mountains are around there, right? Lake Guntersville? Applachians? When/If my family move there we are thinking of places that would be nice for a weekend get-a-way, Any ideas, suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 12:11 PM

6 posts, read 38,725 times
I didn't know there were mountains in Huntsville. What a surprise! For some odd reason I never thought Alabama had mountains. :lol:

Old 03-06-2007, 12:32 PM

I'm asking here. I believe it is at the foot of the app mtns. I guess you dunno either.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:01 PM

103 posts, read 451,820 times
Default Mountains....yes

yes mountains in the northeast part, not sure how much in Huntsville. I live in Calhoun county on the border of GA. we have Mt.Cheaha which is the highest point in Alabama and is part of the Appalachians. It is alot of rolling hills and the scenery will surprise you. It did me when my husband was transferred here. Lots of inland lakes and the coosa river offer alot of recreation.
Good Luck

Old 03-06-2007, 01:31 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,765,178 times
The highest point in Alabama (Mount Cheaha) is somewhere around 2.407 ft. above sea level. Monte Sano, the highest point in Huntsville, is 1,600+ ft. They're hills for a lot of places, but they're Alabama's "Mountains", and that's that! Yes, they are the foothills of the Appalachians, which begin in Alabama--not Georgia as many assume. The Appalachian Trail does begin in Geogia, however.

If you are familar with interpreting contour lines on topographic maps, go to Topozone, pick Alabama, then Madison County, then any feature that falls in the Huntsville quad map. You can get a feel for the area by panning eastward from Huntsville to the other quads.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the info!

Old 03-06-2007, 11:10 PM

9 posts, read 57,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
The Appalachian Trail does begin in Georgia, however.
I believe that will be changing soon.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:22 PM

232 posts, read 990,219 times
Chattanooga is 1.5 hours east, Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge (Dollywood) in maybe 2 hours north of there.

Nashville is two hours north. Want scenic? Drive the Natchez Trace from Nashville to just west of Cherokee, AL, then get on 72 and head east back towards Huntsville.

Want some real adventure (okay, not really)? Stop by the Coon Dog Cemetery nearby Cherokee. Ask anyone over there; they can give you directions. It's a real place; my curiosity got the best of me on a trip to Tupelo once. A lot of beloved animals buried in a formal spot along what looks like a logging road. Some with real headstones, others with collars nailed to crosses. Those hunters loved their dogs.

The Jack Daniels Distillery in about an hour north of Huntsville in Lynchburg. Dry county, though, no samples. Go figure. And the Cathedral Caverns are near Lake Guntersville.

Space Camp and Space and Rocket Center are here, too, along with an IMAX theatre.

Just some ideas. Others will have more, I'm sure.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:52 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,985,021 times
Default Huntsville has mesas

not really mountains, more like big flat-topped, tree-covered plateaus. Birmingham has lots of big, long ridges that all point in the same direction and sort of function as "walls" between the different parts of the city. The northwest part has tall plateaus like Lookout Mountain that extend up into Tennessee, and the area around Anniston has more traditional-looking mountains, but they're worn down into the grey area between "mountain" and "hill" by erosion. Pretty strange topography overall.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:07 AM

23,509 posts, read 69,890,838 times
Umm, Lookout Mountain is in the northEAST part of the state, and has a real canyon at Desoto State Park. The northwest is mostly Tennessee river valley with some hills of worn down sedimentary material. To test your ability to drive in mountains, head south from Gurley up the mountain and out where one developer is selling property. The drops may be only a few hundred feet, but there was some crazy road building out there.

For more mountain roads, go north to Tennessee, take the road leading into Pikeville from the west and continue on to Chatanooga. After a day of driving that, you'll have your fill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area